Author Topic: A map called Routes (for now anyway)  (Read 38274 times)

Hobo

• VM-68
A map called Routes (for now anyway)
« on: August 10, 2005, 12:51:29 AM »
Thanks to Jits, Iron and others even I have been able to put together a "map".  Please take a look at it and let me know what you think. It hasn't really been tested yet so I'd like to get into a test game with it.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3831207/routes_test1.bsp.html

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: A map called Routes (for now anyway)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 11:50:17 PM »
Ah, this is a nice change of pace.  It's a bit confusing and cumbersome to navigate if you don't know trick jumps, so it probably won't be that popular for the newbies, but it'd likely be fun for experienced players.  I like the low-end weapons with a limited selection of higher-end weapons that aren't right where you spawn.  The autococker room was clever - I think I liked it better before I found the secret entrance, though. ;)  Had to climb through the window.  Also, with the secret entrance, you need put a "translucent" flag on that brush, otherwise the vising allows for a built-in wallhack, essentially.

The center flag... maps with 3 flags don't tend to work that well.  You'd probably be better off making it support 2 flag and 1 flag mode independently.

There are also a number of misaligned textures -- mostly on the barrels -- but those won't really affect gameplay for testing purposes.  I've uploaded the map to the EV1 servers.  Maybe loial can organize a big testing party or something as I'm going to be at a lan party this weekend.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 12:54:51 AM »
samples
*edit getting such,as described above

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 02:32:17 PM »
  Thank you for looking at the map.  I didn't know you could get to the cocker throught that opening.... took quite a few trys but I did it once. :)  The entrace to the autococker room started out as a door, but the door glowed after it was compiled.  I tried the translucent tag but it also glows. How do I make them not glow? I want it to blend in with the brush faces next to it.  Not much of a secret if it glows. :)
  In routes_test2, I raised the sky becuse of the problem of seeing into the room through the sky.  At first I tried to use hint brushes to prevent it, but couldn't totally make them work right.
  In routes_test2 you can get on the roof and stuff with fairly simple trick jumps. I personally like that kind of stuff, but may need to add clip brushes to prevent it. Any thoughts from anyone on that?
  I change to gamemodes so it should support everything except siege.  I aligned more textures... probably still miss a few.  Made alot of other small tweaks.  Anyway here's routes_test2 link.  Thanks again for looking at it, I'd like some others to tell me what they think also, good or bad... nows the time.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3919159/routes_test2.zip.html
(zipped/not rared for poor lialaoal)  ;)

Here's a couple of sshots also.
Thanks

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 04:36:29 PM »
From the sshot, it looks like the barrels still need to be aligned. :)

Barrels should look like:
____
|___|
|___|
|___|

The ones on the top look a bit off.  Easy solution?  Move the barrel up until it's aligned.  Hit alt-l to lock the texture, and move it back down.  :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 01:42:26 AM »
Did you get all the textures aligned? :)  I saw your post in loial's request thread...

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 09:43:25 AM »
  I can't honestly say that all the textures are aligned.  Some of the doorway/opening tops I couldn't get to line up on both sides. I'd guess it has to do with the wall thickness and texture size.  But it's not many and won't affect the game.  I believe all the crates, barrels, walls, etc. are aligned.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 02:00:32 PM »
Ok then, where do I get the final version?

Hobo

• VM-68

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 01:13:38 AM »
k, what modes does it support -- ctf and 1flag?

And what do you think would be a good min/max player count?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 01:27:40 AM »
Can wee set up a alpha/beta test run?

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 01:32:31 AM »
It supports ctf, 1 flag, dm and koth, although ctf would be the default.
I'd say no more than 10 players, min 2.  This would be debatable since it still hasn't been tested.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 01:34:08 AM »
Wee suere kould!!  :o

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 03:22:18 AM »
Hm, DM doesn't work too well -- all the spawns are still in the base.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 09:14:01 AM »
Add some DM spawns. ;)

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 11:02:03 PM »
  You're right, I'm adjusting and adding dm spawns, and since I'll have to re-release it I'll fix all the misaligned textures that I can find.  I've already fixed most of the doorways and wall openings.  Some of those rock textures are a bugger to line up.  Let me know if you see anything else.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 07:18:22 PM »
Here is the link to hopefully the final version:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4517032/Routez_alpha1.zip.html

All textures aligned (I think), dm spawns (dm could be fun on it), and gamemodes dm, 1 flag, 2 flag and koth supported. I'd say it's a 2 to 8 player map, except dm which should support 2 to 14 or more I'd say.

Other small changes which bugged me....

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 02:25:02 AM »
The bots are almost challenging in this map in DM mode.  They were kicking my butt until I put my headphones on, lol.

Anyway, it's uploaded to the server -- I put it in the maps/beta directory.  Also I renamed it to be lowercase (Linux is case sensitive, so in the future, please make all map filenames lowercase to be consistent).  Maybe tomorrow night we'll have a big test fest. :)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 04:49:05 PM »
thanks I was about to ask , is it on mine?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 05:07:28 PM »
Yes, "newmap beta/routez_alpha1 <game mode>" to load it.