Author Topic: A map called Routes (for now anyway)  (Read 38271 times)

loial21

• Autococker
Re: A map called Routes (for now anyway)
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 09:28:28 PM »
hmm sez its not file not on server when I try adding, i did rename it. Do I need to create a sub folder "maps/beta" ?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 10:42:45 PM »
Every sometimes, you say something that makes me laugh and laugh.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 02:33:17 AM »
  I think the top route is too fast in ctf mode.  I've "slowed down" that route.  I've also been working on a jailbreak for the map.  Liaola did you spell the map name correctly? And follow directions to load it? newmap routez_alpha1
  You shouldn't have to have maps/beta on your own pc, that's where it is on your server.
  eiii, Every sometimes?  ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2005, 11:01:47 AM »
Every sometimes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 12:47:15 PM »
You need to put the map in maps/beta unless you want to download it again.  Then type "newmap beta/routez_alpha1" at the console.

We're planning to test DT's new map at 11PM EST, so we can test yours then, too.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 04:49:00 PM »
  Here is the newest version, which includes a "slowed down" top middle route and uses the jailbreak function.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4806559/routez_alpha2.zip.html

maps/beta... guess that makes sense afterall...

Thx

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 07:19:31 PM »
E i o be quiet ya boob :) At least "I" am trying, what did you do?

I was under the assumption that I could load as before ;( , mines etc....

And yes i even checked the case of the spelling. Why do I have to manually type this :(  I want my friendly menu interface   <<<<<<L A Z Y

Jitspoe is this a public or private test? I would like to play with a taco  :-*

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2005, 03:02:02 AM »
Ok, now that you've slowed down the top route, the flag is really hard to get to from outside.  Well, maybe not really hard, but it's a bit of annoyance, and people without much jumping skill won't be able to do it easily.  When you've got all those people in jail shooting at you, it's helpful to have another route to cap.  Perhaps you could lower the railing a bit or something so it can be jumped over easily?  Also, are you supposed to be able to jump on the roof?

The steps under the flag are kind of a pain, too.  I think it would work better if you rotated them 90 degrees and made them go all the way up to the ledge.   It just doesn't flow well the way they are now.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2005, 06:14:57 PM »
I was there it was fun. More work????!!!!!  Perhaps one or 2 things but gj krewzer.

I vote for ar raise of height of the roof out side of cap center
Jitspoe the jump into cap is not hard, this  comeing from someone that cant even clear level 2, that is to say its not the bd jump like castle1 (castlemania) has.
Or I vote for be quiet loial :)

Gj btw 

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2005, 06:48:34 PM »
Did you try alpha2, loial, or are you talking about alpha1?

It's not necessarily hard, per se, but it's easy to screw up on, and potentially frustrating.  When you have lots of people in jail shooting at you, you won't necessarily get a second chance, either.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2005, 09:44:52 PM »
bah ok...i was just sayin ...

the one we played!!

the one i cant load :(

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2005, 10:26:15 PM »
Jitspoe,
  My concern was that it was too easy to cap on the map.  If you're capping the left route, through the water and then up, to the high railing side you have no one in jail shooting at you till you almost cap.  That's why the railing is so high on that side.  I understand you're trying to keep it easier for people who can't jump well, but that's part of learning the game, seeing people do it and learning to do it also.  I suppose I could lower that rail but that would make that path the safest route for capping.  It would also be a quicker escape when grabbing.
  I could turn and bring the stairs up to the catwalk.  Right now you can double jump to the flag from that angled wall, I think it adds a little something for the better jumpers. And you can get up to the catwalk on that angled wall.  Maybe moving the steps or even adding a short ladder by the flag would help.  It's not a hard jump to jump from the lift side of the catwalk over the short part of the rail to grab/cap.  My goal was to make it so no route had a massive advantage/disadvantage.
  Jumping on the roof was something I asked for opiniions on in a earlier post.  I personally like that kind of stuff. I know there's at least a couple of places it can be done.  Including doublejumping off the flag ralling. Once you get up there you're limited to that bases rooftop area and it's a great fun spot for snipers. :)  The map wasn't designed intenionally to get on the roofs.  I suppose in fairness to new people I problably should add clip brushes to prevent it.... opinions from anyone else?
  I'll definately look at finding another easier way to cap from within the same room that has the flag.  Maybe widening the catwalk to make the jump over the low rail would be enough.  Maybe even another ramp in the spawn room under the jail windows up to the catwalk would offer some choice. Jail kills rule. :)
  Jitspoe I know you're a busy man, I appreciate you taking the time to look at everyones maps and trying to help us with them.
  Loial21 (yes I spelled it correctly),  thanks for the gj ;)   Raise the roof outside the cap center?  Raise it even more?  The only reason I see to raise it higher would be for getting on the roof... is that what you're talking about?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2005, 12:49:29 AM »
I think the main problem with the stairs by the flag is that post -- I find it REALLY annoying :)  It feels like when a newbie teammate keeps getting in your way.  You need to either, a) make it so there's something at the MIDDLE of the steps to jump onto, b) move get rid of that post, or at least move it away from the left side of the stairs, or c) completely rework that area.  Moving around in that area is just really awkward.

As for the outside path to the flag: I really think there should always be at least 2 newbie-friendly paths to the flag in any map.  I think it's even more important in this one since running up that ramp is basically a death trap if there are people in jail.  Since you can already access the flag that way, why not put a little ledge or something next to the railing that people can jump to without strafe-jumping?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2005, 07:50:07 PM »
no sir

bah i am a crippled    when trying to explain, but here i go

When going up ramp to flag I grab then strafe-jump out of base i can not get on the top ledge :(

And it was very nicely done, I like the top route :) 

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2005, 08:56:43 PM »
Loial21,
  You must be talking about routez_alpha1.  If you are talking about alpha 1 then grabbing and getting out across the top route is plenty easy enough.  Maybe I should just restore the flag room walkways back the way they were in alpha 1.  That might help the grab/cap access problems that Jitspoe was talking about.
  Since theirs so many ways to travel, I intentionally tried to make it harder to grab/cap.  I was also trying to make it so someone couldn't go 200MPH.  There's plenty of maps out there that you can blaze on.

Jitspoe,
  I'll remove the post. :)  I found it funny that it annoyed you.  I think I can make some minor changes to make it easier to get in and out of the flag area. 

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2005, 12:36:59 AM »
bah jitspoe ran the version we were playing and it was labled....maps/beta/routez..bleh bleh ....I have alpha 1 i was asked forced to download on jitspoe's server  wtf im stupid  ok yes .. buti cant load it....and I am using 14?  :)

will make rotation....but meh...meh...!!!!!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2005, 07:04:46 AM »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2005, 05:46:06 PM »
You were supposed to put it in the maps/beta directory, not just the maps directory.  Also, download and look at alpha2.

Hobo: the post visually looked good, but since you have to walk up the left edge of the stairs to jump on the angled wall, it's RIGHT IN THE WAY. :)  Did you use the func_getoutofjail for the jail escapes?  I didn't test that part.

btw, thanks for taking the time to use clip brushes around all those little protruding edges, doorways and whatnot.  I wish more mappers would do this.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2005, 04:50:03 PM »
oh   :)got it

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2005, 10:13:40 PM »
Let me know when you get those tweaks done and we'll test it again.  Also, do you want to go "open source" with this map?  It's helpful when years down the road you want the source to your map but lost it in a hard drive crash :)  And maybe others can learn from what you've done.