Author Topic: GGC Mapping Contest Entry: Captains of Industry  (Read 14444 times)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
GGC Mapping Contest Entry: Captains of Industry
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:26:19 PM »
Hey all,

For our entry to the GGC Mapping Contest, we've concocted a tight 12 player (max) CTF set in an industrial complex thats been vandalised and turned into an impromptu paintbal CTF arena. We reckon this map works well as a 3vs3 match map, but would be pretty fun and intense on pubs too.

It was good fun designing this in such a short space of time, we weren't sure if it would come together in the time we had but we pushed on though a few late nights and got it sorted.

I'll explain our rationale as we go thorugh the screenshots, hopefully give an insight into what we intended and some of the decisions we had to make on the way.

Screenshots:

This shot shows the mid arena. Making a fast and fun centre to this map was a little challenging, however we packed a great deal of fun jumps into it and we think it came out pretty well. The piping round the outside can be used with a few quick doubles, etc... to get to the high path from low. By doubling off the railing by the entraces to the mid, you can bound off the pipes to traverse the mid very quickly.

This is the crusher room. My favourite aspect of this one is the rusty gantry with the punched metal grilling. We thought this was a great opportunity to use alpha'd tga textures to give us a great looking peice of industrial junk. It really came out great, so we hope you like it too.

This shot shows the locker room for the employees to stash their stuff and check the noticeboard. For us its the entrance to the high route to the mid-flag and also a forced open vent that lets us get the drop on the enemy's engine room!

Here is the engine room of the base. This room provides a shorter route to the flashpoint between team's buildings, but doesn't have as much cover. Also, there is a crafty jump which if done right can get you to the high mid-flag extremely quickly. Also, if you want to switch between rooms without venturing into the spawn area, your best bet is the conveyor system...

Here is the spawn. A yard between the two entrances with the dumpster and a load of grafitti. I love how this looks, it really sums up the industrial/gritty feel of the map for me.

All in all its a smallish but tactical map, is very quick and the 'ownership' of each area changes hands very quickly. In the playtesting we conducted earlier it was pretty intense with lots of good confrontations at the flashpoints and a few good chases to the caps.

The inclusion of the midflag was a consideration that the spawn could be reasonably campable, but it would be pretty detrimental to your score if you chose to do so. Instead, a floating presence around the mid or one of the junctions of buildings would be much more effective (and interesting).

Technical:

Bringing this much detail into the map was a challenge. We really learned our lesson with KungFu and Zen, which is why we pulled out all the stops to deliver a really great looking but technically superior map this time. The r_speeds on this map may be considered high by purists, but we haven't experenced them higher than about 2100, which really isn't that bad given the level of detail crammed in.

We pushed for a great deal of 'decal' type touches to provide us with the desired atmosphere and details instead of brushwork (unlike Zen!) and used the func_wall's ability not to split geometry on contact to keep r_speeds down where a lot of decals were used. This also goes for complex structures like the staircase in the crusher room.

To get the feeling of a run down industrial building, we tried out some environmental techniques like having broken lights flickering in the crusher room, and bringing the ambient lighting down to give a more dank feeling to the buildings. We had to think up some novel ways of lighting some of the areas too, we didnt really want to settle for random lights in unrealistic places.

Download:
here - BSP + All Textures. This is the only version we are releasing as we think this really needs to be seen with the high res textures, etc... If people have a real problem with this, we can post a smaller version. ~8mb (sorry knack!)

Here is the jump pack full of demos for jumps we included in this map: *we'll re-upload them for the new bsp file ASAP. It's by no means complete, so go out and find some more!

We hope you like it, it's taken a fair bit of hard work to realease in time. Good luck to all the other entries, I know I can't wait to see what Uni,y00tz and the rest of you guys have cooked up for us!

- Dr Rick Dagless M.D and Reed

Edit: We've uploaded the latest version now. There were some problems with the old one which needed addressing, and we reimplemented phong shading (something I forgot to readd from an earlier build). Id suggest everyone who got the old one update with this copy asap!

Double Edit: we've uploaded yet another bugfix, really sorry for all the hassle. Download link is now current.

13th nov - Pureblood let us know that a couple of the ctp textures were missing from the zip we released, so we've included them in this zip: http://zilla-clan.net/upload/848281 - you only need this is if you don't have the CTP and want to use low-res ctp textures on our map (which I don't imagine is many people!) Sorry about this!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:23:41 PM by DrRickDaglessMD »

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
Re: GGC Mapping Contest Entry: Captains of Industry
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 08:41:16 PM »
:o This is amazing, can't wait to see all the others.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 08:58:45 PM »
Really, really, really nice judging from the screenshots.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »
Love the detail, technical side looks good as well.  I have two small things to point out, if it's not too late to recompile, although one of them may be on purpose.

One:

Railings are floating on the top landing, could possibly be used for lower r_speeds? Otherwise, needs fixing.  Also, the stairs texture is misaligned, notice the holes don't match up on the side and the top.

Two:

An ugly little block is in the middle.  Don't know what you should do to fix it.  I leave that up to you, if you decide that it even needs fixing ;)

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Ahhh, the floating rails are 1 unit off the stairs to stop them from breaking the stairs up into a million polygons, basically helping to lower the numportals. I agree that the holes need aligning, but the texture is so low res in BSP that I cant see them to do it consistently, but i dont think it takes anything away from the map anyway. The box I can take or leave, our idea was to leave none of the floor plate sides exposed because of some problems with zero-width brushes, but i appreciate it can be ugly.

Reed
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:57:39 AM by Reed »

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 12:30:41 AM »

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 12:48:04 AM »
luv the glow sticks and vending machine

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 12:54:50 AM »
GGC Mapping Contest maps 24/7 => paintball2://64.27.12.194:27991

(unofficial)

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 03:20:28 AM »
wow. Looks realy good! Uploaded to the Leezerz.com servers

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 08:01:54 AM »
EDIT: Guys, there is a newer version now available (on first post), please re-upload to avoid map version differs errors.

Danke.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:56:44 AM by Reed »

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 08:58:52 AM »
You still have a couple of minutes left...
Working till the last minute will decide upon victory and defeat. ;D

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
more like, 2 and a bit hours left.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 09:48:01 AM »
The map looks good, but there are some little mistakes.

I renamed the first version to coi_b1.bsp  :P

1. Is it roundly?
2. Black or not enough light?

Wrong pictures. This is the right one.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
Sorry T3RR0R15T, I'm really not following what you mean by any of these mistakes. Are the textures misaligned or something? The boxes that say DP on them are supposed to be on their side, not that it makes any difference really. I don't understand what you mean about the engine machine thing.

could you clear it up for me? lol

- Dagless

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Terrorist.

Im not sure what youre suggesting we do with the crates? I personally dont think it matters which way the diagonal lines are.

I'll turn around the high voltage textures, but unfortunately we cannot do anything about the slightly misaligned stripes on the floor.

As for the machine, it looks fine on my screen, so maybe thats just your brightness?

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 10:37:38 AM »
Maybe u can shove the texture.

Now:

Better:

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 10:52:37 AM »
Fixed, new version is now available, again, see first post.

I recommend server admins do not upload this until the deadline has passed.

Reed

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 11:14:33 AM »
Fixed, new version is now available, again, see first post.

I recommend server admins do not upload this until the deadline has passed.

Reed

2late :D

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 11:17:48 AM »
Delete it :P

Searching the new link.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 11:32:42 AM »
Right, we're done. Thats the last one, with 28 mins to spare.

deary me.

- Dagless