Author Topic: New map: Freedom - by JopeZz  (Read 23795 times)

JopeZz

• PGP
New map: Freedom - by JopeZz
« on: November 26, 2007, 01:39:42 PM »
I started create new map with JC, but he has only small idea. I'm only newbie, but I have worked on it for 3 weeks and this is beta 2. Lets see it and say me whether it is good or bad.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:50:48 PM by JopeZz »

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Freedom beta
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:22:40 PM »
Not bad, :D

But then again, you've been working on it for 3 weeks, so you have roughly 21 times the experience of most of the 'first maps' we see here.

Will you please attach it to your post?  I'm getting like ~7kb per second from your download server.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:53:00 AM by y00tz »

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:15:06 PM »
I just took a quick look around and it looks ok. The r_speeds look good except for in the mid it is around 4500 with reflective water and around 2500 without so that really shouldn't be to big of a problem.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:25:42 PM »
Your furniture is huge! Might want to scale it down a bit so you can see over a table or desk :P

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 06:29:58 PM »
Suprised me very good first map only things I can think of has already been mentioned.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:39:36 AM »
Let's start with the great:
I like:
+The detail put into it - for example the walls you can jump through, the stall/stable doors that open, the fountain, etc.

+The plants really add a depth to the scenery

+The furniture is unique

+Good starting weapons

+Fun jumps

+The layout is simple but effective

+The windows are very original and consistent

+You did a great job picking textures for which we currently have hi-resolution textures for (between the different packs) and it helps make the map look really good.

Stuff that I'd like to see fixed in beta 3:
-In the bases there is a clip or nodraw brush that has the shadow from the plants (I can give you a screenshot if you'd like)

-Some areas within the castle have little to no lighting, I think it'd be nice to have at least a little lighting here. I just realized this was intended to be sort of a 'secret' bonus area, or I assume it is because it has an autococker, so the lighting is fine there.

-The boxes (with the X texture) and some of the ramps seem very out of place.  You're very creative, maybe find something else they could be replaced with?  I could make you almost any custom texture you need so if you have an idea, let me know.  (I.e. a crate that says 'feed' or 'cannon balls' on the side)

-The rocks in the middle are identical (rotated?), maybe make one different?

-The name doesn't seem to fit the map, maybe I'm missing something? Wouldn't be the first :P

All in all, this is my favorite 'first map' ever.  You went above and beyond, paid amazing attention to detail, and the end result has so far been spectacular.  But for the love of Jehovah, I get 120 FPS in SLI in the mid of your map! Maybe find a way to drastically reduce r_speeds?  You did a final compile, correct?

Cheers and good luck on this great map,
y00tz

justcall

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:10:46 AM »
We're inspired by Assassins Creed.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:19:38 AM »
Y00tz has pretty much said it all for me, though I seem to be having a problem with the reflective water - it doesn't actually render any water of this map as reflective, but does double the r_speeds! don't really understand why, but there you go.

- Dagless

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »
Its a cool map, good job u guys. I don't really like how fast the water runs though, maybe slow it down a bit?

Im not sure if this is possible, but can you add pull to the water? So if i jump in i get pulled along with it? Jumping in to such fast water and staying still is sooo annoying :P

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 01:59:37 PM »
yeah, use the current flag. Bear in mind it could possibly unbalance the map - all players who fell in would be drawn towards one base only, possibly an advantage to the attackers of that base?

- Dagless

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »
I like it, but doesn't have much space for anything.
A lot of stuff everywhere.

Good map though, Nice work. :D

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 06:45:35 AM »
Nice map!

But where the water flows?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 07:21:38 PM »
Not bad.  Looks like you have a fairly solid theme going on there.  You need to do something with the boundaries of the map, though, especially where the water comes up to the sky.  The grenade cannons are kind of neat - you should spawn a grenade or two near them.  The rafts could stand to be faster, and it seems they only work once.  I guess they're more of a novelty thing - not really a practical purpose for them.  Several wood textures need to be rotated.  I can run through the map later and point them out if you'd like.  I've uploaded the map to the beta server.  I'll send you a PM with the details.

JopeZz

• PGP
Freedom: beta 3
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
I made beta3 two weeks ago, but i had some problems with arghrad and in real life....

so:
- boundaries of water
- new and faster rafts
- rocks
- grenades at cannons
- smaller tables  :P
- fish  :D
- etc.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
Re: Freedom: beta 3
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 04:18:19 PM »
Nice job with the fish, I haven't seen those in DP before.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »
Where did you get the fish model?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 09:46:37 PM »
I think it's animated brushes

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »
w00t! This map is very well constructed. I really like it. The fish was a nice touch.
Oh and for y00tz and Eiii, I believe its a func_rotate, and if you see it in game, I think you will be able to tell ;)
-Cusoman

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 10:53:43 PM »
Oh and for y00tz and Eiii

Just "y00tz" is fine :P

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 11:51:33 PM »
Meanie. I'll whip up how I'd do fish and post it here.

EDIT: Uhh... It'll be a bit. Things got in the way.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 03:05:09 PM by Eiii »