Poll

Do you like the idea?

Yes. It needs to be implemented now!!!
No. You are an idiot quit speaking nonsense!!!

Author Topic: New Rank/Server Idea  (Read 12214 times)

KiLo

• Autococker
New Rank/Server Idea
« on: November 29, 2007, 02:11:22 AM »
I will probably get screamed at for this but oh well.

I was pubbing with Kaltorak and Loial and we were talking about how annoying the noobs are and we came up with an idea.

As I mentioned before I think we should have a ranking system similar to Battlefield. Now if that were implemented then we could have servers like Albatross18, where you have to be a certain rank to play on that server.

Just a thought and to me and the other 2 it seemed like a good one.

P.S. We could also do Kaltorak's idea of charging anyone outside the United States to play, to reduce the noob count. ;D <- Just a joke!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:33:15 AM by KiLo »

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
Re: New Rank/Server Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 04:06:20 AM »
So basiclly no one would ever play on servers, and to make only EU players pay for US server is for 1: discriminating, 2: vast of the so called noob players come from USA also, 3: there would be no more matches between EU-USA clans (how many is prepared to pay for a match?).

Ranking system could be implemented, but you must think on all of the aspects through.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 05:42:31 AM »
I suggested that if players are annoyed with newbs then they need to have a locked down server running for pro's only.

Edge points are very important, relevent and valid.

Reducing newb count? You are fired.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:03:46 AM »
What is with the new trend of cutting out newbs?  I doubt discriminating against Europeans will help Paintball 2 at all.  Instead newbs and Euros, arguably a majority of our player base, would seek refuge elsewhere, leading to Paintball 2 to lose players but never gain...

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »
P.S. We could also do Kaltorak's idea of charging anyone outside the United States to play, to reduce the noob count. ;D

Nice one KilLo, but the fact I consider you a noob kind of goes against your whole idea doesn't it?

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »
No.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 06:27:10 PM »
On what?

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
i think it'd make a lot of new players quit. And the noobs wouldn't learn from anyone if they didn't have any better players to watch in pubs. They would all camp and wouldn't have to bump up there skills since they would only play with others like them.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 08:49:24 PM »
ranking system is an interesting idea.

is it possible to just have a 1 or 2 servers that use a ranking system? while leaving the popular servers rank-free?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »
ranking system is an interesting idea.

is it possible to just have a 1 or 2 servers that use a ranking system? while leaving the popular servers rank-free?

That is exactly what I was trying to get at. Have servers that you have to be a certain rank to play but then have more servers for all ranks.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »
That is exactly what I was trying to get at. Have servers that you have to be a certain rank to play but then have more servers for all ranks.

This is such a wonderful idea. Let's segregate dp. An even more interesting question.... Who decides players rank? Wouldn't it hurt your feelings if someone thought you weren't skilled enough to play with a certain group? So in order for people to move up in "rank" they have to have a tryout? Get real. I'm certain each and every player here did not just start playing this game on their first try and already know how to do everything. This nonsense sounds like a bunch of school yard b/s. Please grow up or you will have a vast majority of your fan base leave. Now if a server owner wanted only a selected group to play on  their private server then fine. Set a password only you and your elite group know and thats the end. Stay in your own little world and leave the COMMUNITY alone to play how they please.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 11:02:29 AM »
Why does no one understand the concept of what I am saying? ???

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 11:31:53 AM »
kilo, 
     I do understand what your saying and I was not trying to flame you in anyway. The easiest way would be to make your own server and password it. That way you can keep all the new players out and allow the ones you want to have access to it in. Most of these "newbs" don't even participate in the forums. Simply make a server and post the password on here for the people who don't annoy you in-game. The problem is when you start a rank system you have to have a basis on which to rank people. There are times when even the great players annoy me. I'd rather play with new people than listen to these elite flame me in game because my skill level improved enough where I can kill them. So how will you rank people? Based on skill or based on all aspects? If you want to be fair you would have to base it on all aspects of public play which would then keep some great players with a horrible mouth out. I'm sure some of your friends on here qualify for that. Would they think highly of you for keeping them out? InT and WsL stand on the basis for teaching new players how to play. Will you keep all of us out or just some of us? I love playing against the better players because it increases my skill. I would not join a Elite player server because not all my friends on here would be able to. Do you not understand that if you make ranking a community wide thing then you will separate people. Why not just do it the easy way? Your own server.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
You are still missing the point. I get where you are coming from but my idea is a lot different than what you think.  Here is what my idea of the ranking system would be (maybe with a few modifications) http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=9966.0msg101534#msg101534.

All I am saying is that sometimes I feel like playing with people who are better at the game yet those people don't pub because they don' want to play with the newer players. If you had these ranked servers then these players may play more. But the higher ranks could also play in the ranked servers below them. And then there could also be "free-for-all" servers where any rank can play on it.

And then scrimming and matching would be just about the same as it is now (the match servers would be unranked of course).

The way the ranking system would be setup makes it fair for everyone to advance although it may take some people longer.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »

Consoles have this kind of rating system, I like it to a certain extent..

I personally think it would be nice to see an optional skill system, where players could select what they think their skill level is (i.e. skill 3) and could join servers with the skill option on (sv_minskill 3  sv_maxskill 4).

This way, there is less bandwidth used for a stats server, and the default skill could be set to 0 or 1 (lowest setting), so noname and newbie(4) who can't figure out to change their name, most likely don't know how to change their skill level.

I digress...

This is a free (as in beer) game, I know newbies can be annoying (have you played with that y00tz guy?  He doesn't even know how to get flag 2 in pbc_renoir)... but what good does it do to isolate newbies and Europeans?

Cheers,
y00tz

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 12:06:01 PM »
A few flaws I see kilo is that if you make it community wide then ... 1) you limit the amount of servers new players can play on.  2) other players can easily make their score increase by playing players without the same skill level.  3) if you allow the better players down into pubs where new players are your making it more difficult for the newer players to increase their points. Making the score they need to obtain untouchable. 4) there are too many private owned servers.
other than that .... good idea.

P.S. thanx kilo.. because of this debate I have made it past 100.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 01:45:20 PM »
LOL

Like I said I know there are flaws but I believe most of them can be worked out.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »
Then work out the flaws here, or the idea is a no-go. It's your idea. Use your own brain.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 04:32:41 PM »
Add this to my idea.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 07:44:46 PM »
I think I liked y00tz's on setting what you think your own skill is.
Offtopic: I can show you y00tz its actually easy if you know how.