Author Topic: FINAL RELEASE: Over the Hills - by RiMiNi  (Read 36843 times)

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
Re: NEW MAP: Over the Hills - by RiMiNi
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 11:26:16 AM »
It's always better to have few paths to the flags. Decreases camper alertness, makes it more fun, you can change tacticts during matches etc...

Let's hope so, by goodness!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »
Judging from a couple of the screen shots, it looks like the map has a leak or is boxed up by sky.  You need to fix this.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 02:51:42 PM »
It was boxed up by sky, but I helped him fix it.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 08:48:14 PM »
I love how almost every single map that people release, everyone just automatically assumes it needs more paths.  Last time I checked, DP pubs don't matter how many paths there are.  But matches are rarely larger than 4v4 in size, so why make all these maps with like six paths?  This is the reason we have so many cap, cap, cap and gameover maps.  With all the paths, you rarely find your opponent, and if they have recon they can just purposely avoid you.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »
I love how almost every single map that people release, everyone just automatically assumes it needs more paths.  Last time I checked, DP pubs don't matter how many paths there are.

Yes, thanks Darkness. People try and make a map too complex. The most simple maps are the ones that enjoy a good pub run.

Rimini hurry and get this out of beta so i can put it on my server :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 06:02:48 PM »
Just going to run through the screenshots on the first post.

1st shot:
- Eww @ lollipop tree.  Also looks like the trunk is too thick and uses a wood grain texture instead of bark.
- Cracks all over the place were the brushes don't quite line up.
- Could stand some more detail on those long sections of wall

2nd shot:
- Half-crates need the texture scaled.
- Textures on the ramp need to either be a solid wood grain, or the planks need to be aligned (warning: I think the high-res wood plank textures don't match the original, so be sure to match the originals - high-res versions will be fixed later.)
- Ramp textures also need to be rotated.  Wood grain should almost always run along the length of a board.

3rd shot:
- Wood textures on the bridge need to be rotated.  Might make the boards thinner, too.
- Maybe work on making that opening less square.

4th shot:
- Why are there lights in crates? I always give DT a hard time about these.  They look weird.
- The thick layer of ice(?) looks kind of weird.

6th shot:
- Again with the light crate, and the crate is halfway stuck in a solid rock wall.

Looks like it might be decent overall, but could use a lot of polish.  Let me know when the sky box is fixed and I'll put it on the beta server for play testing.

marth

• Stingray
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 07:48:06 AM »
I love how almost every single map that people release, everyone just automatically assumes it needs more paths.  Last time I checked, DP pubs don't matter how many paths there are.  But matches are rarely larger than 4v4 in size, so why make all these maps with like six paths?  This is the reason we have so many cap, cap, cap and gameover maps.  With all the paths, you rarely find your opponent, and if they have recon they can just purposely avoid you.
most the maps without secondary paths and whatnot are also the small maps, or at least seem to be.
the secondary paths are also fairly fun in a game, they seem to add unpredictability.
not to mention 4v4s shouldnt be playing in a huge map altogether   :-X

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 03:20:17 PM »
Looks like it might be decent overall, but could use a lot of polish.  Let me know when the sky box is fixed and I'll put it on the beta server for play testing.

im pretty sure that the download on the first post has no sky box  :)

EDIT:
Rimini hurry and get this out of beta so i can put it on my server :)
:D

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 01:15:26 AM »
http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/oth/

To have the map's "ownership" transferred to you, register an account at DP Resource and PM me.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 03:00:45 PM »
I have recently fixed some things you have poitned out jitspoe

"Just going to run through the screenshots on the first post.

1st shot:
- Eww @ lollipop tree.  Also looks like the trunk is too thick and uses a wood grain texture instead of bark.

++ lollipop tree's ftw :P and is used in a jump from the cliff to flag 2 ++

- Cracks all over the place were the brushes don't quite line up.-  **Could stand some more detail on those long sections of wall**

2nd shot:
- Half-crates need the texture scaled.
- Textures on the ramp need to either be a solid wood grain, or the planks need to be aligned
(warning: I think the high-res wood plank textures don't match the original, so be sure to match the originals - high-res versions will be fixed later.)
- Ramp textures also need to be rotated.  Wood grain should almost always run along the length of a board.

3rd shot:
- Wood textures on the bridge need to be rotated.  Might make the boards thinner, too.
- Maybe work on making that opening less square.

4th shot:
- Why are there lights in crates? I always give DT a hard time about these.  They look weird.
- The thick layer of ice(?) looks kind of weird.

++ Lol i personally like DT's lights :P ++

6th shot:
- Again with the light crate, and the crate is halfway stuck in a solid rock wall."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:28:19 PM by RiMiNi »

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 07:44:18 AM »
ThX for beta3!

Cant go over this without jumping....

I'm the only one who need this texture?

/textures/unknow/grassp1

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 07:55:27 AM »
It just means he set the texture to grassp1 (which you have by default) before he loaded the pball textures.

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »
ah. Thanks yootz^^

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 07:56:24 PM »
hey sonny i fixed that ledge,
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:29:01 PM by RiMiNi »

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
Well aside from the ledges that still unaligned together, this map is ready for release.  If you need help aligning them I am sure some mappers from the community would be willing to help you do it.  I will do it if you want, since you mentioned to me in a game that you cant align them because the brushes are weird.  I say just overlap brushes and make it look good, most of the areas that have the ledges wrong are in relatively small vision areas so overlapping wouldn't kill r_speeds.
-Cusoman

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2007, 01:26:55 AM »
When is this map officially coming off the press?

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2007, 11:52:39 PM »
Maybe he will mapping a second way to the first flag? :p

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 02:36:39 AM »
Uploaded the map to the beta server and made a demo of things you might want to revise.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 04:22:14 PM »
thanks jitspoe. anyone have a suggestion on where to put a "noob-friendly" path to flag2

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
Well, for a "noob-friendly" path, I can see one in my mind.  Its small, and would do the trick.  Ok, if you are standing in the blue base area, by the tree, facing the direction of the red base, there should be an underground path to your left.  When you go down into the underground path, it first begins to go  down, then right, then left, and so on to the red base.  Well, after the first down, or right when you enter the cave, you could make a small path going to the left, into the empty space of your map, and curling around in a walking fashion and come out behind the second flag.  This would definitely be n00b-friendly, and all they have to do is walk. Think about it.
-Cusoman