Author Topic: Sonny crashing servers  (Read 23164 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Sonny crashing servers
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2007, 05:25:13 PM »
[OTB]Kongo - 5085
DaRk`viper - 5313
.Ij.QueeNiE - 18567

seeya...

I was curious, so I gave all the server commands a spin and ran upon one that reproduces this fine functionality. Not sure if it's the same, but a temporary cure is pretty easy.

Edit your gamex86's and rename the offending command strings to something else. Only replace characters.

I guess that might get your server global banned or something queer, but living life on the edge is exciting.

edit: Let me clarify "edit": use a hex editor, like xvi32 for Windows -- search for the string and mangle it.

What percentage of these dedicated servers are Win32.... There's a much easier solution and most server admins have received a PM with the work around.

Pulse

• PGP
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2007, 05:25:54 PM »
Just thought I should mention for Reed, DarkP just rebooted itself seemingly on its own accord.
Time: 23:20 roughly

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
PM Me Please

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2007, 05:36:42 PM »
Just thought I should mention for Reed, DarkP just rebooted itself seemingly on its own accord.
Time: 23:20 roughly

Yeah that was me restarting the server, sorry about that.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2007, 06:43:20 PM »
Ugh, this would happen when my computers are packed up in a cube and I'm in the middle of a relocation crysis.  Fortunately I backed up all of my important data to a USB drive before packing that I have with me, so I might be able to compile a fix on my laptop (if Linux behaves itself).  I'll admit, this was a really bad piece of coding on my part.  I see Sonny crashed the EV1 servers as well:

88.74.160.246, ID 5263

I'm going to go ahead and ban him now and let the committee decide on how long.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »
It was me who crashed the server.  (Miklman)  Sonny had told me the interger and I was testing it out.  Hope it didn't cause any trouble.

Well, after 'testing' it on sk89q's server you entered the command on our server just five minutes later, knowing full well that it would crash the server. At the time the server had around 17 people on.

[12:57:37] cmd: miklman *evil command of death*

Dissapointing =/

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2007, 06:57:29 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and ban him now and let the committee decide on how long.

I don't think there is going to be any discussion on that....

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »
So you just delete everyone's comments about how unfair it is to ban him and only him and that makes the committee's decision ok? This is crazy. you're censoring valid points by me and especially Edgecrusher, to make you guys look better.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2007, 11:39:38 AM »
I removed EVERYONE'S posts as it was getting way out of hand and became a flamefest.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2007, 12:09:16 PM »
I removed EVERYONE'S posts as it was getting way out of hand and became a flamefest.

I must say I disagree Knack. Only Y2j, Cola and myself stood by to defend why not to ban Sonny, and if he still gets banned so should Brock, sk89g and some others.

Yes, maybe it was on the verge to become a flamefest, but you could also locked the topic since our opinions were out there. And I would like for the rest of community to have read them. And now they can't. And Sonny was like I said, a victim goat. I'll just state here, I'm really dissapointed in where this went, I expected more from Global Moderators, again, you could have just locked the topic.

Sad and pissed me.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »
Well here's my two cents, Sonny found a bug, didn't report, rather he exploited it by crashing multiple servers.  Look at the logs from ViciouZ in the first post, he was clearly calling it a hack, and took it as a joke.  The only way it could get reported is if he spread it, and he did.  Now, someone had to test it to see if Sonny was giving the right command, otherwise it can't get patched.  Those who tested it on a single server, or particularly their own server, I can see them getting off a little easier.  But I'm sure the wrath of the committee will come down on Sonny.  I doubt it's a permanent ban, I plea that it's not a permanent ban, I'm all for second chances.  Thead locked, all discussion is a matter of opinion in this case.

Raven

• PGP
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2007, 08:08:09 AM »
Haven't seen such a bullexcrement for a very long time. Where was the fing sense in testing the bug AFTER this topic was opened? ... I was not surprised seeing the names of some old friends from cD.

frozi

• PGP
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2007, 08:17:09 AM »
hm im not really excited that all of you guys care that much...
look at you and your names all of you talk about we crashed the game so the others couldnt play and have fun.
but only about 30% of the guys who are writing in here play this game momentarilly.
and banning guys for 32days is much i think cause they used that bug for about 1 day maximum

Hatecrew

• Stingray
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2007, 08:19:57 AM »
Ur just pissed memi is dieing raven...

And maybe we should all hack instead of crashing 2or4 servers.
Would be more fun with the same pinishment so gogog dpb-community HACK THE PLANET.

Idiots >.< pls ban t3h hole dpb world.
Regards.

User banned for this post
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:21:42 PM by jitspoe »

Raven

• PGP
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2007, 08:28:26 AM »
Ur just pissed memi is dieing raven...

And maybe we should all hack instead of crashing 2or4 servers.
Would be more fun with the same pinishment so gogog dpb-community HACK THE PLANET.

Idiots >.< pls ban t3h hole dpb world.
Regards.

Nice try to distract from the problems caused by idiotic behaviour. Exploiting, and in that case it was clearly exploiting, is causing a ban. And I still don't see the sense in crashing "2or4" servers. It seems even more stupid than using hacks to me, because it doesn't even bring you advantages. It's only destructive and useless.
btw: your comment shows me that you are either one of those crashing servers or a member of cD(found out you are Snipaaaah, so I maybe landed a double hit? :P) trying to tell me, everything I say is just because MeMi dies, which by the way is not a fact, but a possibility.

EDIT: Banning should of course be kept for those who used the bug several times, knowing what it causes. And of course ppl who just "tried it once" should NOT be banned, but being given a warning or whatever. Some of them already apologized, so it's ok.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 08:48:38 AM by Raven »

Hatecrew

• Stingray
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2008, 06:38:47 AM »
Nice try to distract from the problems caused by idiotic behaviour. Exploiting, and in that case it was clearly exploiting, is causing a ban. And I still don't see the sense in crashing "2or4" servers. It seems even more stupid than using hacks to me, because it doesn't even bring you advantages. It's only destructive and useless.
btw: your comment shows me that you are either one of those crashing servers or a member of cD(found out you are Snipaaaah, so I maybe landed a double hit? :P) trying to tell me, everything I say is just because MeMi dies, which by the way is not a fact, but a possibility.

EDIT: Banning should of course be kept for those who used the bug several times, knowing what it causes. And of course ppl who just "tried it once" should NOT be banned, but being given a warning or whatever. Some of them already apologized, so it's ok.

No cookie for u.
* Hatecrew crashed no servers :(

TOXINATED

• PGP
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »
Why do people see a bug or server crash and dont report it?

It will solve loads more problems, and moderators, commitee, adminastrators can solve the problem more quicker.

MM

• PGP
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2008, 07:09:47 AM »
hatecrew, just see the opposite of us (MeMi) und u. we still exist since over 3 years, did never need a new clanname und never hacked and so on. how about a little bit more respect? were the oldest existing european clan.

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
* Kaos thought dark p was =/

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2008, 11:26:18 PM »
Pretty sure you're correct Kaos.