Author Topic: func_ reset  (Read 9596 times)

Reed

• VM-68
func_ reset
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »
Something I meant to ask a long time ago, is there a command to reset funcs at the beginning of each round?

If there isn't i propose putting it the next build, and I promise you I shall make the greatest map in DP history, no jokes.

James

• 68 Carbine
Re: func_ reset
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »
Palmtree is already made. That aside, what func did you want reset?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »
Reed, no. There is no way to reset entities (except guns/equipment, which is done automatically) at the end of a round.

GO VOTE IN FEATURE THREAD, PLEASE. We could make some really cool maps with this.

Also rotating team spawns.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:24:19 PM »
I wanted to make some cool use for target_earthquake, then I realized that entities don't reset after a round =( (and so I made a worthless rocket launch sequence with earthquake+smoke+stuff).

But regardless...
* sk89q goes to vote

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:48:14 PM »
If this is in the feature vote, I would like to vote for this because Reed's maps are sexy and I was wondering about the same thing a while back.  Would add some diversity to maps.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:38:32 PM »
probably the wrong place to post this, but I fail to see a target_earthquake.  sk89q, how exactly can I embrace the supposed uberness of such an entity?
-Cusoman

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
You have to edit BSP's entities file to add it in.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »
Eiii, your a resourceful guy, could you point me in the direction of a post, or thread, or site that explains the ins and outs of editing BSP entities. ;D That would sure be helpful to a certain clueless wonder. ;)
-Cusoman

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »
We'll make this educational as well:

All the MAP format stores in terms of entities is their position, size (if applicable), and their name. Nothing else. You could make up an entity called blahblahblah and BSP would be fine with it. However, all of the entity processing is done when the map is loaded, so the game wouldn't be that happy about it.
That said, adding entities is a snap. Just go to the game you wish to edit's folder in BSP, go to the entity folder, and edit the entity file.

It's arranged like this!
(Where things in brackets are optional.)
Code: [Select]
/*QUAKED entity_name (val val val) [(val val val) (val val val)] ? [FLAG FLAG FLAG...]
Help text, help text, help text.
*/
Entity name is, of course, the name of the entity as the game sees it and as BSP shows it.
The first three-value tuple represents the color of the entity as seen in BSP. Standard R G B, where each value is between 0 and 1.
If the second tuples are included, it means the entity is point-based instead of brush-based (i.e. it doesn't need you to define a brush in-game like you do with doors)
The second tuple (if included) represents the offset of the entity in X Y Z, I think. Doesn't matter, just make it the negative of tuple number three.
Tuple three is the size of the entity in-game, in X Y Z. Make all three 16, if the entity isn't brush-based.
Past the question mark, the entity's flags are defined. What they're called doesn't matter- all that matters is whether or not the mapper checks them and what order they're in. So get the order right. You can use helpful resources (like gamedesign.net) to see what the flags are.
Helptext is in no way required, but helpful.

That's all. You should be able to make the entity now. Go ahead.

EDIT: Oh, and target_earthquake isn't brush-based.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:16:04 PM »
Thank you Eiii  ;D
Hopefully I will be able to add the entity now.(have not tried yet)
-Cusoman

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 11:56:51 PM »
OR, do it the cheap and easy way.

Create some nice non-brush based entity, and change its classname to "target_earthquake"

The entity will persist even after you reload the BSP in-game and it will be a white-colored entity.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 11:58:02 PM »
I like adding the entity to BSP more. :(

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 12:30:06 AM »
I am confused by what Sk89q has said, I can just change an existing entities name to "target_earthquake" and it will execute like a normal "target_earthquake" without defining anything else in the BSP entity file thing? *Cuso Is very confused now.
-Cusoman

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 12:47:39 AM »
The only thing that differentiates one type of entity from another is the "classname" parameter. Change that and you change the type of entity.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 01:52:33 AM »
Haha, I post about this being in the feature vote and go to a wrestling tournament.  I come back and its all set up.  Jitspoe works fast.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but seems to me that this is a really good idea and could add a lot diversity to maps. Especially since people complain about this and everyone wants better looking maps.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 06:17:10 AM »
I think there should be an option for any entity(triggers, funcs etc.) whether it should respawn every round or not.