Author Topic: Changes without the communities consent? (Again.)  (Read 17307 times)

James

• 68 Carbine
Changes without the communities consent? (Again.)
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »
Jitspoe is there a reason you changes the ball speed again? Not only again, but again without telling anyone leaving them to read about them in your changes doc?

It's clear it's your game, but why even bother making it for the community if you make changes without telling people? You already changed the ball speed once to make this game laser tag without telling anyone, then you went ahead and added impact grenades without telling anyone. Now this? Sick. Also, this wasn't even up to be voted on in the next build features thread.

To think you could of done something more productive like fix the random spawns.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Changes without the communities consent? (Again.)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:20:08 AM »
Quote from: paintball2/docs/gamex86_changelog.txt
*** 1.903 build 151 ***
- Defaulted sv_forcesky to 1. 12:36 AM 7/10/2007
- Defaulted sv_minclientbuild to 19. 12:29 AM 7/11/2007
- Fixed sending of name when doing a global ban check. 12:53 AM 8/2/2007
- Made the global ban check only happen on public dedicated servers or servers with sv_login enabled. 12:53 AM 8/2/2007
- Prints the IP address to the console when a player joins the game. 4:18 PM 10/25/2007
- Fixed players not getting credit for carrying multiple flags at match end (2 flag overtime bug) 4:08 PM 11/8/2007
- Tweaked default base ball_speed from 2790 (300 fps) to 2660 (285 fps). 1:29 AM 11/27/2007
- Tweaked barrel speed increases (decreased about 8%). 3:26 AM 11/28/2007

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:21:21 AM »
Stand corrected, thanks Jes.

Wait... we're talking about the *default* speed?  ::)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »
Yeah so now we'll have servers with the old speed and new speed with no indication as to which setting it's at.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »
I would imagine only new servers with new configs based off of b20 configs (or servers who recreated their configs) would have the new ball_speed, since I think the default configuration file defines the ball speed.

EDIT: Scratch that. I don't think it does.

Although, I don't agree with "To think you could of done something more productive like fix the random spawns." Changing one constant isn't very hard compared to writing and debugging code.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:29:28 AM »
Maybe now it's finally time to include some more variables in the server browser, but isn't it likely that we've been playing with multiple balls speeds before? 

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:40:29 AM »
I tried changing the ball speed in my configuration file but it doesn't take effect. The server still has ball_speed set to 2660 when I start it back up. However, I can change it via RCON after the server's running.

I wonder how many people notice this change.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 12:42:50 AM »
good thing he changed it cuz getting shot up close at 300fps hurts, 285 hurts a little less, so I'll be less afraid of getting shot now.... thanks Jitspoe!

(p.s. - I know this game is not lifelike, but guns are always set lower than 300fps, so 285 is more lifelike [according to our field rules anyways :P:P)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 12:50:12 AM »
i havn't noticed it at all.  when i play 4 fun i will adjust it on my server to things way faster to that but still dont realise it at all

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 01:30:19 AM »
I think further development/tweaking should be geared towards making the game more appealing to new players. If decreasing ball speed facilitates this, (maybe?) so be it. But I doubt thats the case.

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 01:35:09 AM »
Please keep your mouth shut if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 01:39:42 AM »
The committee doesn't decide on features/tweaks.  Thats what the Feature Vote Thread is for (and hopefully soon sk89q's feature vote page).

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 01:44:12 AM »
It's a tweak.  Surely something as minor as tweaking the ball speed by 15 fps, which he has set a precedent for, wouldn't require explanation/voting.  Voting = testing first anyway

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 01:51:02 AM »
The committee doesn't decide on features/tweaks.  Thats what the Feature Vote Thread is for (and hopefully soon sk89q's feature vote page).
Hm, no one mentioned the committe, I think you misread the title :P

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 01:51:31 AM »
I think small tweaks like this should be noted in the release thread or something, but it's really not a big deal for now. And maybe some moderators shouldn't delete posts to make themselves look less foolish. ;)

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 01:58:16 AM »
I think small tweaks like this should be noted in the release thread or something, but it's really not a big deal for now. And maybe some moderators shouldn't delete posts to make themselves look less foolish. ;)

I'll put my post back up when I get a better connection, I was trying to get a decent edit (get the bbcodes lined up) and it was just taking forever to repost/view fixes.

In Jitspoe's defense, he did put it in the change log in the docs (not in the main changelog, as I erroneously pointed out in the post Eiii is referring to) it's not like the change was completely hidden... and we are all aware now that is occured :P

James, is your problem that is wasn't properly publicized and documented, or that Jitspoe changed it to begin with?

Please spare any shtik about me not reading your post, I have read it twice now.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 02:05:44 AM »
Hm, no one mentioned the committe, I think you misread the title :P

Wow, I need to get to bed.  :P

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 02:49:37 AM »
I don't think you newbies understand what I'm saying or have a clue. I guarantee that the rest of the people who post on this thread won't understand what I'm talking about.

I'll give you examples.

1. Version 1.5 to 1.6, no warning was given and ball flight was changed drastically. What do you mean drastically? Think about the distance you get now with an automag, now divide that distance by 2 and give it a really big arch, that's what we were playing with before.

2. Not sure if it was in alpha b1 or a few builds after, but impact grenades. No one was told about them and you would see newbies all of a sudden with them.

3. FPS Jumping was taken out for some reason and I'm pretty sure there's some other jumping issues that were changed that jitspoe isn't mentioning. (Not sure of FPS jumping was talked about or not, I just remember being able to do it then not being able to do it instantly.)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:46:50 AM by KnacK »

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 04:17:53 AM »
The impact grenades were like Build 14 dude..

Think I remember er33t whining about those because they couldn't handle the new gameplay the impact nades brought.

Re

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 04:38:42 AM »
I don't think consent is really required. There are reasons for tweaks. Usually the developer makes tweaks to improve game play or get closer to a game flow goal that he or she has been shooting for (pun) all along. In any instance, I don't see any major game companies posting on forums asking for consent to make a change.

The game is a fantastic game and it's free! I'm not trying to flame you or discredit you. I just think that if Jitspoe wants the game to be a certain way, it should be that way. I think he has done a great job so far.