Author Topic: Feature: Optional server-side autobalance  (Read 43702 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
Feature: Optional server-side autobalance
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »
...no one likes pub games that are 10v6, anyway.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Feature: Optional server-side autobalance
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:51:18 PM »
what about this: if somebody wants to switch from a team with less to a team with more, then when they execute that "join" command, send 'em some sort of message saying they must wait for someone to agree to switch with them from the other team. Then, all players on the other team would be asked if they want to switch with this person. Once a single person agrees, the notification can be cancelled and the player swap executed.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »
what about this: if somebody wants to switch from a team with less to a team with more, then when they execute that "join" command, send 'em some sort of message saying they must wait for someone to agree to switch with them from the other team. Then, all players on the other team would be asked if they want to switch with this person. Once a single person agrees, the notification can be cancelled and the player swap executed.
Hm, seems just way to complicated for something that would be as simple as sending "Cant switch teams, they are unbalanced. Wait for someone to leave the team to join"

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:56:11 PM »
I think the concept is like at the end of the round, swap the n00bies at the bottom of the scoreboards around until the teams are within 1 player difference of another.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 12:17:15 AM »
Hm, seems just way to complicated for something that would be as simple as sending "Cant switch teams, they are unbalanced. Wait for someone to leave the team to join"
yah, but there's no way to know how long they'd have to wait. i thought about that but increased the complexity of the idea to make it friendlier to players.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »
Sounds like a good idea as long as it isn't accidently turned on in match servers :)

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »
lol match servers should be balanced anyway... unless ur like 3v1ing a clan i dont see the problem

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »
I wouldn't like to see this on pub servers. What if the server ends up having 4 vets on one team, and 4 noobs on the other. Is there any way to switch?

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 02:09:24 PM »
@lekky: that's why i suggested what i did. [about 7 posts ago]

not only that, i suppose the auto-balance code could also take into account player stats and try to even those out between the teams.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
Player stats, or skill level should just be kept away from this.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 04:53:52 PM »
What about the auto-balancing of teams on the _next_ map, averaging total kills across teams (and ignoring new players)?

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 08:00:09 PM »
why not swap with the newest player who joined the server?? that's the most fair i can think of...

most of the time, i see people who are switching teams are newbies who wants to be on "winning" team...

and IF this "deny of switching team" is implemented... PLEASE add on some change map vote feature that doesn't require waiting for game to end because there are some map NO ONE wants to play and they all join one team and wait for the next map... (there's a post on this i remember...)

wow... i never noticed that vote list! off i go! lol

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »
i was actually messing around this morning to see if you could make "join blue" and "join red" limited in the commands.txt and only allow "join auto" and "join observer" ... no such luck.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 03:33:06 AM »
i was actually messing around this morning to see if you could make "join blue" and "join red" limited in the commands.txt and only allow "join auto" and "join observer" ... no such luck.

For now it seems as the easiest solution. It should be tested on one popular server to see if it's a go. Ofc if it could be done this way.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 06:50:24 AM »

That would be too easy, wouldn't it... :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »
What about the auto-balancing of teams on the _next_ map, averaging total kills across teams (and ignoring new players)?
Problem is, there's about 10 players joining or leaving per map on pub servers, so that would only be useful for about 2 minutes.

supercurtis

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 08:38:01 PM »
This idea sounds good, except that there may be an imbalance of another sort to worry about.  Sometimes there are three or four excellent players annihilating ten or more newer players.  I propose that teams be chosen and balanced (in numbers) every round based on skill (using data from the previous round).  Newly joining players would be placed randomly until enough data could be used to place them better in the next round.  It would be an automatic script picking teams like we all did for soccer in elementary school.

I am not going to place a vote for this one based on my conclusions.   :-\

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 08:52:58 PM »
That's a bit complex. As (I think) someone above me said, it's just a pub game. One team is going to be better than the other. All this is trying to prevent are the cases where one team is severely outnumbered, not insure every game is a tie.

dnadna

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
i think there shoud be an option for the admin to turn on auto team balance in case one team sucks but has lots of ppl and one team are pros and have litttle ppl