Author Topic: Feature: New map format  (Read 27104 times)

Cobo

• Autococker
Feature: New map format
« on: January 05, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »
Move away from the quake 2 bsp format into something better. I really dont know what other options there are though. (q3 I guess)

I would like to see things like concave brushes or patches.

If you dont know what patches are, here's a pic of it on BSP, sort was working on implementing them on BSP.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:02:00 AM by P!nk »

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
Re: Feature: New map format
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »
Why do people want a map review board?  Who are you to shoot down someone's map?  If a map gets played a lot then obviously people like it, so there is no point in having some map review board who can try to control the map releases.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:02:02 PM »
The game already has "soft shadows".  Real-time soft shadows, however, don't have much to do with the map format.  A new map format will basically just alow more detail to be drawn faster and possibly have a scalable level of detail so that more detailed maps will be able to run on older hardware.

Cobo

• Autococker

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:47:08 AM »
The more graphical updates to the maps, the better.  How would you be able to use a q3 map in a q2 based game?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:18:46 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:01:54 AM by P!nk »

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 02:30:16 AM »
I think a free market would work better. Besides that, there's not actually a way to regulate what maps get played, unless of course, the silly idea of a list of map file checksums is proposed...

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:09:04 AM »
In association with a new map format, the maps, which being redone should be realeased with an official mappack*. By making official maps like in e.g. warsow, the big amount of useless maps would be deleted and more 'matchable' maps would be played. Of course you should put some pubmaps into the pack, but not too much. See the warsow example, none complains about just playing like 15 maps all the time.

*The community/committee/skilled mapmaker could vote, which maps should be redone in the new format and realeased.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 11:48:05 AM »
Whatever "official maps" get bundled with Paintball doesn't matter I think. Given fast downloads now, pubs determine what maps newbies play.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 04:41:24 PM »
In association with a new map format, the maps, which being redone should be realeased with an official mappack*. By making official maps like in e.g. warsow, the big amount of useless maps would be deleted and more 'matchable' maps would be played. Of course you should put some pubmaps into the pack, but not too much. See the warsow example, none complains about just playing like 15 maps all the time.

*The community/committee/skilled mapmaker could vote, which maps should be redone in the new format and realeased.
I think the current map supprt should be kept for backward compatability.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
I think the current map supprt should be kept for backward compatability.
I second that.  If there is a new map format, some errors could arise when trying to use the old maps.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 06:54:09 PM »
Yes, why not just have the engine be able to support q2 and q3 .bsp files, and just use q3 dynamic lighting in everything.  Then every map looks better, old maps can be played, and new maps will be in the rather robust q3 .bsp format.
-Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »
Q3's dynamic lighting was worse than Q2's (albeit faster on some video cards).

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »
any idea how difficult this idea would be to implement? i would imagine it's no small task - given that it means a complete overhaul of the engine (right?).

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 01:03:28 AM »
The whole united states is covered in 4 feet of silver dollars, except one silver dollar is a red one, hardly a silver dollar I guess...
You parachute out of a plane, and randomly land near Dallas, TX.
You reach behind you with your left arm, and dig 15.4inches, and grab a silver dollar.
It's the red one, and it says:
"Wow y00tz,  this is one long ass analogy"

The odds are greater of that happening then they are for people to vote for a new map format at the risk of losing those gems we play now, you know, Blitz... Barrels... Rally21...

edit:  And heaven forbid the 2000 jump maps... tsk

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 02:15:38 AM »
y00tz...

I think the current map support should be kept for backward compatibility.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »
Actually I think y00tz was using a sort of double-satire, and was actually supporting the new map format.
-Cusoman

PS: I hate having to type out things instead of speak them, because the meaning always gets lost somewhere.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
Actually I think y00tz was using a sort of double-satire, and was actually supporting the new map format.
i know ;) but with backward compatibility, people would be more likely to vote for it. that was my point.

spam

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »
I think that bsp should be easier to use to make maps.