Author Topic: Feature: Warmup Mode  (Read 4936 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Feature: Warmup Mode
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
Instead of saying "This map requires 2 teams", or having the 30-second count down, and not being able to interact, put the game in warmup mode.  This will let the player run around and check things out without needing other players or needing to know the debug commands.  This could also help bring in a lot of new players that never went beyond opening the game up.

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10020

Justinph5

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Warmup Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:26:30 PM »
I like this, even tho I usually just run around a map with the "this map requires 2 teams" thing on the screen anyways...  But it would be great if players could shoot in the warmup mode too, to check corners and lines and such  :P

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:03:19 AM »
I'd like anything that gets rid of that darn thing. :) Makes it difficult to test maps, if I can't test 'debug1 1' in time...

Re

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 06:29:18 AM »
I love the warm up mode in other games so I think this will be a definite plus

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »
I think warmupmode should just be pgp and grenades.  I know is counterstrike its just knife and grenades.  Seems to work well.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »
for example, in warsow, when you enter a server, you have to pick a team (it wont auto-assign), but once you do that, you can't play until you indicate that you are ready (which is an option in the context-sensitive Esc menu). once you indicate that you're ready, you don't have to do it again for the duration of the map.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
I'm making good progress on this.  It still has the message on the screen, but you can run around, shoot, capture flags, etc.  The kills, caps, etc. during warmup don't count toward your stats or affect the team score.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:58:23 AM »
I'm making good progress on this.
always a good thing to hear. ;D

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
* QueeNiE gives jitspoe an e-high five.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 12:02:31 PM »
It sounds like this warmup mode will only apply when there's only one team.  If that's the case, then it won't be very useful on match servers and some of the votes on this may have been misled by the title.  While you're on this, maybe we could get the ready/unready commands in and a g_warmupuntilready cvar to make this a little more useful for match servers.

I was thinking of using the character that's reserved for the flag indicator on the scoreboard to be a green/white R when players are ready.  The ready/unready command would only be available to players on a team, and only when the game is in the warmup state.  There should also be a 'Please Ready Up' message that's constantly displayed on any unready player's screen when there's at least one other player who is ready.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 04:06:41 AM »
It works with more than 1 team.  You can play during the match start countdown.  Requiring players to ready up isn't a bad idea (especially on match servers), but I don't think that's a requirement for warmup mode.  Start a new thread about it if you haven't yet and I'll add it to the vote.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:21:16 AM »
There is a bug with the warmup mode.

If i turn it off and start a new map, the counter goes from 25 to 11 and the round starts. Where are the other 11 secounds?