Author Topic: Feature: Display 'Hints and Tips' somewhere in DP  (Read 17572 times)

Cobo

• Autococker
Feature: Display 'Hints and Tips' somewhere in DP
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
Like most games, show hints, tips or helpfull information somewhere. It would probably be best on the map loading screen.
This would probably help with the issue of players leaving the game before actually playing in an online server or anything.

FlaMe

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Display 'Hints and Tips' somewhere in DP
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »
like a way to randomize MOTD files so you get a new tip every server you join?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:36:40 PM »
No, I mean when you join a server and it starts to load the map, textures, models, etc. When the lower half of the screen is black.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:13:51 PM »
hmm. only thing about this is that compared to some games, DP maps load pretty fast. at least they do on my computer ... i'm guessing roughly 2-4 seconds for a map to load, if it doesn't need to be downloaded. and with build 20's improved download speed, even downloading a map wouldn't provide much of an increased delay in map loading.

so my point is that if something is put there, it most likely wouldn't be showing long enough to read it.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »
Well, perhaps the current MOTD system should be removed and instead when a player joins a server a window pops up.
In that window the player could see the MOTD and somewhere in there it should display a hint.
I guess other stuff could be done directly from this window like joining a team, etc.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »
great idea.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 01:39:54 AM »
This sounds perfect for the newer players to learn simple things that aren't taught in the manual.  You could also add basic wisdom from the greats...

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 03:07:29 AM »
ok so who all thinks this feature needs a dependency of "Message Box Dialogs" added to it?

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 03:18:36 AM »
Great idea, would help the newer players a lot.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
ok so who all thinks this feature needs a dependency of "Message Box Dialogs" added to it?
Depends on how it's implemented.

One thing that might be useful, rather than generic tips, is game event triggered tips.  Like if you kill the last person on the enemy team while your team has the flag, it would pop up a message stating that your team gets more points when the flag is captured - avoid eliminating the enemy team when your team has the flag.  Things like that.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 09:25:30 PM »
Depends on how it's implemented.

One thing that might be useful, rather than generic tips, is game event triggered tips.  Like if you kill the last person on the enemy team while your team has the flag, it would pop up a message stating that your team gets more points when the flag is captured - avoid eliminating the enemy team when your team has the flag.  Things like that.
"Press X yo drop your gun and grab a new one" when above a weapon.
"Throw your grenade with X" when you grab a nade.
Yeah, I guess those would be usefull, but generic tips should still be added though. For things like how to play with bots etc.
They should be removable from the setup menu though.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »
hmm, triggered tips - sounds good.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »
Yes, I like that idea, sort of like a Beginner Mode, which should default to on for new downloads :)

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 04:39:52 AM »
:'(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:25:25 PM by coLa »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »
what is this, an RPG now? triggered tips is a bad idea IMO. but it's just my opinion.
Lots of FPS games have triggered tips.  Why is it a bad idea?

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »
what could they be? "reload your co2 at the beginning of rounds"... "aim your shots in an arch"... most players know anything you could tell them.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 05:25:13 PM »
Lots of FPS games have triggered tips.  Why is it a bad idea?

i was thinking about it last night after i made that post, and i realized it's not that bad of an idea after all. would this be like a server side and client side thing, or just client side? inside of having automatic popups, how about some like press "O" for tips.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »
Or just one-time triggered tips?  ET:QW does this.  For instance, when you want to use a tool in your possession, you select it and a small box pops up at the top telling you what that tool does.  The popups don't repeat themselves.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »
what could they be? "reload your co2 at the beginning of rounds"... "aim your shots in an arch"... most players know anything you could tell them.

You'd be surprised how much that would help new players.

Or just one-time triggered tips?  ET:QW does this.  For instance, when you want to use a tool in your possession, you select it and a small box pops up at the top telling you what that tool does.  The popups don't repeat themselves.

I think it would be nice to have it on, the default setting, until they decide to turn it off.

On the beginner servers I have, I only have about 25 tips (oh yeah, thanks for the meddling help with ideas, cigarettes), but you'd be surprised how often it stimulates discussion between newbies.