Author Topic: Feature: Time-remaining clock for demos  (Read 6835 times)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Feature: Time-remaining clock for demos
« on: January 05, 2008, 11:01:46 PM »
Quote from: http://garrettw.net/public/featvote.txt
1: Time-Remaining clock in demo playback - webhead

add plz. ;)

someone also brought up the fact that it would be nice to have a full set of playback controls to work with, but I chose to limit my feature vote to a timer simply because it would *probably* be a lot less involved to make.
Although I don't know for sure how involved it would be - jits would have to answer that.

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Time-remaining clock for demos
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:28:50 PM »
Well, I'm not sure about it but if the demos keep track of the level time it would probably be easy to do.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:08:14 AM »
except for the fact that the game clock doesn't account for things like time between rounds and such.
for the sake of an example: using the game clock wouldn't work if you recorded a demo on your computer, nobody else on the map, and the map requires 2 teams so the game clock won't even start to count down.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:12:57 AM »
except for the fact that the game clock doesn't account for things like time between rounds and such.
for the sake of an example: using the game clock wouldn't work if you recorded a demo on your computer, nobody else on the map, and the map requires 2 teams so the game clock won't even start to count down.
I cant really explain, but I'm not talking about the actual game clock.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:22:27 AM »
i hate that you can't explain, cuz i don't know what other time it would keep track of.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:54:17 AM »
What's your reasoning behind wanting this?  Why is the game timer not sufficient?  It probably won't be a trivial thing to add because I'd have to scan through the whole demo to figure out the total time.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:03:10 AM »
well, i was just thinkin it would be helpful ... i mean, not all demos run for the full 20 mins of gameplay. some demos are just short clips, and others might be of matches that are won in under 20 minutes. it would be helpful to me, because i often sit down and start going through all of the auto-recorded demos that pile up in my demos folder - watching some of each one to tell what is going on, and if it's one i should delete or not.

instead of scanning the whole demo to determine the length, what about this: make it so that when a demo starts recording, an internal timer (which counts in seconds, maybe) is also started. then when the demo is stopped, that timer is also stopped, and its value is somehow included in the .dm2 file. would that be possible?

then upon playback, it would just start a visible clock at the value in the file and start counting down.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10036

I'll put it up for voting, but it doesn't seem like it's really needed much.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:10:44 PM »
that's fine if you wouldn't use it. but i would, and that's why i made it a feature request. and now we can see if anyone else would want it.