Author Topic: Feature: Screenshot system for cheat detection  (Read 6347 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Feature: Screenshot system for cheat detection
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »
Screenshot system for cheat detection

FlaMe

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Screenshot system for cheat detection
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
explain?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »
Got it from the existing feature vote. =|

I am thinking that it's a way to take screenshots remotely for cheat checking purposes.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:28:58 PM »
i think it was already discussed before. i think there were some issues of lagging players when the screenshots are being taken. i've heard alot of people complain about lag while taking screenshots. i don't think this is a good idea. but if you can make it work without the lag, i am all for it.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »
I believe they had something like this in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.  They called it "finger" i think, and it was a command like finger <player> and then it collected not a screen shot but an opengl data text file thing, that could be re-rendered in game with another command, so they could see what your seeing such as a wallhack, because it renders with all of the opengl hooks and whatnot.
-Cusoman

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »
If you are familiar with PunkBuster, its the same thing but hopefully less advanced. 
I'll explain...
PunkBuster is a cheat detection program that is used by a wide range of FPS games.  There are many things that it does.  One cheat detection method is by Screen Shots.  The software automatically takes a screen shot from the players computer and the software studies the picture for any abnormalities.  The software is kind of advanced and because of the complexity of the software, some things fall through the cracks and there are a lot of errors.  The other part of PB is the cheat detection part.  Jitspoe all ready has this part implemented so the screen shotting will really help in stop the cheaters even more.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:59:12 PM »
I think it means a screenshot of what the player is seeing, sent to you...

ie if theres a wallhack on, youll see no walls because youll see what hes seeing

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 10:32:13 PM »
If it is something that can be easily done and doesn't lag a player, then sure go ahead and do it.  But currently I don't think there are very many people using wallhacks so I don't see any reason for tons of time to be spent on something like this while theres so much other stuff that could be done.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »
Wallhacks seem kind of pointless in DP because the game seems too fast paced for them to really help a person.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:43:30 PM »
If you are familiar with PunkBuster

My company designed their logo, so as a result we get 1 copy of every PunkBuster-enabled game sent to our office... heh.

DaRkNeSS: When you said you didn't think there was very many wall hackers, were you talking relative to the amount of DP players, or hackers?

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »
PunkBuster is a great tool but I think it needs a little work because when I used to play Americas Army, people would get kicked for some pretty stupid reasons but it does a good job at really punishing cheaters.  Get a global hardware ban and you can't play any game with PB until you have a new computer.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »
I don't think there are very many people wallhacking in DP as of right now,  at least in the matching scene and what not.  I'd say of all the cheating that goes on, wallhacking is one of the most rare kinds.

Edit:  That is, people who wallhack and don't get detected.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
Yeah, skins and textures are all the rave these days.