Author Topic: "savematch" command  (Read 2311 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
"savematch" command
« on: September 19, 2005, 03:21:20 PM »
This just popped into my head: it might be nice to have a way to save the current match state (team scores and time left), so that if a match/tournament needs to be stopped for whatever reason, it's possible to pick up where you left off.  I figure I could make some kind of "savematch" command that encodes the state of the server into some kind of string that can later be entered with a "resumematch" command (or something to that effect).  Anybody could use the savematch command, but you'd have to have ops to use the resumematch command.

Thoughts?  Do scenarios happen often enough to make this worthwhile, or would I just be wasting my time?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: "savematch" command
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 03:27:13 PM »
Fantastic idea!  Not sure how the implementation would work.  Maybe leaving the encoding open could leave it so that normal players can modify the values to match the values agreed by the two teams.  Just so you don't have to save the string every round.  Map, time remaining and team scores should be sufficient.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 01:09:22 AM »
Although,
ahemmm

Any way to make this publix?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 08:09:41 AM »
Wha?

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 09:14:05 AM »
It would surely be nice to have such a command, as I have had this situation a few times now... where ppl had to leave for whatever reason.

But I see a problem in the line "Anybody could use the savematch command", as this will most likely be overwritten every time you save such a match, thus erasing old states and making it possible for unauthorized players to overwrite an existing savegame.
Another question came to my mind:  as the Graffiti Matchservers are mostly used for matching, we might have the same problem there even if only opped players can save games... any idea for a workaround? And... what data do u want to save?  like, it can only be saved serversided, so... no way to save player scores, dont you think? As it will probably be hard to have exactly the same players (with the same IP, ID, whatever) on the server again.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 12:44:23 PM »
The savematch command would not actually save the state to the server, it would return a special string that you cound enter in at a later date on any server.

For example, if you were matching on midnight and the score was 8 to 12 with 10 minutes left, you'd type "savematch" and it would return some string like "midnight/10:00/8/12", which you could later go onto a match server and type "restorematch" with that string and it would load up midnight with 10 minutes left and scores of 8 and 12.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 01:59:55 PM »
sounds good enough to me =)