Author Topic: Feature: HUD indication when carrying flag(s)  (Read 9430 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Feature: HUD indication when carrying flag(s)
« on: January 08, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »
This idea came from seeing it in other games and a point that DaRkNeSS had made in the hide player model in in-eyes chase cam discussion.

I actually like being able to see first person view and who has the flag at the same time.

Could we have some sort of HUD indication that shows when you're carrying the flag.  Maybe just a little rscript animation of your team's flag, or an additional flag icon for each flag that you pick up.  It would be super-cool if they were also labelled with their point value, but that can be overlooked since we've got quite a variety of different values.

Sometimes I get confused with who grabbed when I'm rushing for the flag at the same as a teammate.  It would also be a benefit while in matches to quickly find the flag carrier to recon.  I've also had times where I thought I picked up a single flag when I've picked up two from a flag drop.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Feature: HUD indication when carrying flag(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:07:39 PM »
The value could be done with text.  But a separate, smaller font.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »
jesse that is actually a pretty good idea... sometimes i think i have the flag in pubs and when i go to cap, realize i never grabbed it =(

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:01:34 PM »
Yeah, especially on airtime3 I find.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »
very good idea - i think i even thought of it before - just forgot to suggest it.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »
Yeah that would be very useful.  It's always hard to tell on maps like pp1 when you have several teammates rush the flag at the same time and you're not sure who grabbed it.  Or maps like pbcup_renoir where you're not sure how many flags you picked up, and if you picked up only one flag, which one it was.  It would be nice to have a point value on the icon like XBain said.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »
Yeah that would be very useful.  It's always hard to tell on maps like pp1 when you have several teammates rush the flag at the same time and you're not sure who grabbed it.  Or maps like pbcup_renoir where you're not sure how many flags you picked up, and if you picked up only one flag, which one it was.  It would be nice to have a point value on the icon like XBain said.
Agreed.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:16:48 PM »
I have something simple implemented - it just replaces your mask icon with the flag icon.  Actually displaying the point value would be a little complicated, as it depends both on the flag point value and the base point value.  Also, the HUD is already "full".  I think all 32 HUD slots are used.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:19:38 PM »
Also, the HUD is already "full".  I think all 32 HUD slots are used.

Any way you could have nested HUD slots?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
I can use one slot for multiple things (like the mask and flag), but only one at a time.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 11:56:26 AM »
Yeah when I was trying to hack in some custom HUD code that was one of the things that really got in the way.  Could you bump that up to 64 items on the new server/clients using sv_extensions?

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »
what about this: when you have the flag, instead of your team's icon changing from a splat to a flag, have it change to a flag that looks different in some way. like a flag with a glow effect around it or something. i dunno.

speaking of sv_extensions, every time a map loads, i get something like this in my console: Unknown command "sv_extensions"
why is that?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »
Because you need to upgrade to B20.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 02:59:34 PM »
what about this: when you have the flag, instead of your team's icon changing from a splat to a flag, have it change to a flag that looks different in some way. like a flag with a glow effect around it or something. i dunno.
I believe there is some sort of script for that already.

*edit: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5456.0

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »
I like the idea of changing the player mask in the hud.  Maybe we can have a few different icons like 1 flag, 2 flag, 3 flag, etc. for those maps with multiple flags.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
I believe there is some sort of script for that already.

*edit: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5456.0

All that script does is change how the flag looks, and it is the same if you have it or some one else has it.  However, that doesn't mean it can't be used for that (with some game code modification).

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 06:38:14 AM »
Guess it depends on how difficult the feature is and how much time I have.  In this case, I fixed the mouse-over thing when it was first, then implemented the flag indicators on the HUD.

Sneak peek?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 01:10:39 AM »
Sneak peek?
Not sure if I should do a release with just a couple small enhancements or wait until I have something more.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:47 AM »
Small client-side releases would be great, imo. For one, it gives the impression that development is really moving, and second, why should the small things have to wait for something big? Build 20.1? :D