Author Topic: Feature: Admin Mute Option  (Read 11535 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Feature: Admin Mute Option
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:10:12 AM »
mute <playerid>

Disable chat text ability for those children who just cant control their mouths (or fingers).

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10071

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Admin Mute Option
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:11:07 AM »
Hey quit taking pot shots at me!

Re

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:07:15 AM »
Ahhhh this would resemble the Z mode on IRCX chat servers. Sometimes comes in handy

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:19:14 AM »
Really good idea, seconded.

But consider this. If that player is muted, instead of kicked because of his language, flaming, general behaviour etc., he will not know that he is indeed muted. Hence, he will come back to the same server, admin maybe wont be on at that time, so he will continue with his behaviour not knowing he was muted before. With kick/temp ban, admin states that that kind of behaviour will not be tolerated.

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:33:53 AM »
Really good idea, seconded.

But consider this. If that player is muted, instead of kicked because of his language, flaming, general behaviour etc., he will not know that he is indeed muted. Hence, he will come back to the same server, admin maybe wont be on at that time, so he will continue with his behaviour not knowing he was muted before. With kick/temp ban, admin states that that kind of behaviour will not be tolerated.

think that's why jits wants to make it mute *playerid* instead of userid, that way the person remains muted until the admin takes it off, even if that player reconnects

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »
THen whenever the play attempts to talk, he will get the message that he has been muted, similar to when someone spam-floods caht.

Magical-Tree

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
What about when 'newbie' or 'noname' gets muted. How will you work around others using those same names not being muted also?

~MT

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
playerid is the global login id, whereas userid is the client number you're assigned when you enter a server.  'newbie' and 'noname' aren't registered nicks and therefore do not have a playerid -- so as i understand it, the mute command will not work on them unless they have a login account.  a possible solution to this is to make another argument for sv_login (i.e., sv_login "3") that allows a player to play on the server without logging in, but not use any of the chat functions unless they login.  <-- probably only a good idea if hints and tips are implemented since it would prevent new players from asking questions if they haven't taken the time to get an account yet.

Magical-Tree

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »
Ahh I see.

Disregard my post.

~MT

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:11:21 PM »
Actually, playerid is just the id of the player on the server.  Global login id would be the global login id.  Perhaps it could store the IP, though, so a simple reconnect wouldn't get them unmuted, and it would also work for players that aren't logged in.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 06:24:16 PM »
so that would mean they would be muted until the admin removes the IP from the log or whatever. what happens if the admin forgets to remove it and the player stays muted for days, if not weeks?

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »
Ahhh... I was basing my assumptions of the difference between playerid/userid off of the default message for the "ignore" command without any arguments:

usage:  "ignore <userid>" use ("players" to get userids)

nevermind what i said previously

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 06:30:24 PM »
so that would mean they would be muted until the admin removes the IP from the log or whatever. what happens if the admin forgets to remove it and the player stays muted for days, if not weeks?

Or the server can just keep it temporarily?

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »
Im all about perma-mute.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 08:31:27 PM »
Or the server can just keep it temporarily?

well that would obviously be the best choice. let the admins set the amount of time they wish the player should be muted based on what they were saying. just like temp-bans.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 01:27:11 AM »
Actually, playerid is just the id of the player on the server.  Global login id would be the global login id.  Perhaps it could store the IP, though, so a simple reconnect wouldn't get them unmuted, and it would also work for players that aren't logged in.

Would it ban just that IP or range on extension?

For instance I have dynamic IP which is default in my country. To have static IP I would have to pay unreasonable ammount of money.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »
This isn't meant to be a permanent thing.  I think you guys are looking into it too much.  It's just a simple mute for a player saying inappropriate things.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »
Well in that case there should be something like instant message: U have been muted by admin for inapropriate behaviour.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 06:10:11 AM »
This isn't meant to be a permanent thing.  I think you guys are looking into it too much.  It's just a simple mute for a player saying inappropriate things.

Well i think it should be like a kick / ban / temp-ban kind of system

kick-muted for the rest of the 20:00 or until you reconnect and apologize
temp-ban - temp-ban, no talking until its lifted by an admin
ban - youre done, plead it with the admin some other way =\

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 02:46:49 PM »
then what would be the point of muting? it's just supposed to be a mute, no kicking or banning involved. more useful for the new kids that love to spam binds every time they die.