Author Topic: Feature: clan "logos" on jerseys/skin  (Read 17492 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Feature: clan "logos" on jerseys/skin
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:16 AM »
This isn't covered in "clan jerseys"

But what if the leader of a clan in the GLS could select two colors and have a choice between 1 or 2 fonts for their clan tag, and these would be automatically combined to form a "logo"

Leaders could select between 2 spots on the player model where they wanted the logo. (example, chest, arm, back, etc.

Pros:
- "Uniform/standard" style prevents abuse, since logos would be customized to say the clan tag
- darn, I thought I had more.
- Maybe if I put a lot of stuff in this list, people will read the first one and think, hell he has a lot of pros, I'm for it.
- Maybe?
- I bet not.

You guys are pros at finding cons (gah, dumb pun) so I'll let you guys list those...

example:

Clan LOL, chooses blue foreground, gray background, and  font 1, Clan Rofl (rF) chooses black bg, red fg, font 2.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
Re: Feature: clan "logos" on jerseys/skin
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 01:34:40 AM »
It would add a new dimension to visuals in game.

Cons:

Can't think of any.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »
It would not add a new visual dimension to the game, it'd add generated textures to the player's back/front. I don't see anything wrong with this, but there are much more important things to do that would actually make the game look more appealing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 04:04:42 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10077

Cons:
- Logo designs would have to be moderated to prevent abuse (I'm sure somebody will try to add images of goatse.cx, tubgirl, scat, etc.)
- Extra bandwidth needed to transfer logos.
- Skins would be limited to logo-friendly designs.
- Brightly colored logos may cause team confusion.
- Extra memory used for textures.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:16:53 PM »
- Logo designs would have to be moderated to prevent abuse (I'm sure somebody will try to add images of goatse.cx, tubgirl, scat, etc.)

Somebody didn't read the topic... or rather, someone didn't explain it very well.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »
No it's pretty obvious by reading to understand that people aren't uploading an image.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:13:32 PM »
Ah, just skimmed it when I saw your pro's "list" -- figured you were putting up for vote some of the previous requests.

This would be very limiting and probably difficult to implement, too (I'd have to create different font sets, etc.).  It would probably make more sense to just slap the clan tag on the jersey in a standard font with white and/or black text.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 01:53:08 AM »
Logo front - name back?

:D

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
i think that would be awsome

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »
What about if you're on a pub? Then there might be 2 people from the same (or similar) clans on opposite teams.

Also, this wouldn't work for clans like >>AERO<< as their tag is a bit too long and it uses different colours for different parts of the tag

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »
Also, this wouldn't work for clans like >>AERO<< as their tag is a bit too long and it uses different colours for different parts of the tag
So?  It doesn't really matter if 1 clan misses out, just change the tag to something different then if you really want it.  OR  Make an abbreviation of it and keep 1 colour.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 02:29:51 AM »
Just a few more clans that might 'miss out':

Name                          Tag
Chaos Ffactory               .CaFFY]
Polar Gaming                  Polar^
Hell Forces CZ                >HFCZ<
Demolish                        -DeMo-
soh brasileiro                  [5687]
TheSovereignKillers        {TSK^}
Paintballers on Drugs      {DRUGS}

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 03:05:54 PM »
how bout there wouldn't be a logo, and if there was a logo the clan leader could only be able to import the images, if abused then clan would be punished.

Great idea :]

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »
Just a few more clans that might 'miss out':

Name                          Tag
Chaos Ffactory               .CaFFY]
Polar Gaming                  Polar^
Hell Forces CZ                >HFCZ<
Demolish                        -DeMo-
soh brasileiro                  [5687]
TheSovereignKillers        {TSK^}
Paintballers on Drugs      {DRUGS}
Seriously, those clan tags sometimes get annoying when you are playing.  Also it doesn't matter, make an exception to something then.  Simple clan tags are the best.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:54 AM »
Seem's like a pretty neat idea to me. What about only 'allowing' these clan jerseys / when.. say, everyone on one team is tagged up and logged in correctly; or only in locked or 'match-mode' servers.

Certainly it would need to be very moderated as far as colors, graphics, etc. What about a little 'clan apparel' section where a clan leader can choose a few (limited) options, add a clan tag to the back, even grant specific 'numbers' to his clan-mates jersey, submit a small graphic (and so on and so forth, as much customization as you would deem necessary). These could be sent off server side to, say, the DP Committee, and they would then need to 'approve' the new 'clan jerseys'.

Honestly, you could probably start making some real $$ with little 'add-on' features like this that some people might really enjoy. I know I personally would shell out a little extra money, or even some kind of credit system based on a to-be-determined methodology for my team mates to be able to waltz around in custom jerseys!

1.25$ for a little swish on your shoes, anyone?!

Just some food for thought. =)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 10:46:09 AM »
Honestly, you could probably start making some real $$ with little 'add-on' features like this that some people might really enjoy. I know I personally would shell out a little extra money, or even some kind of credit system based on a to-be-determined methodology for my team mates to be able to waltz around in custom jerseys!

1.25$ for a little swish on your shoes, anyone?!
Only if it COMPLETELY for appearance purposes only. I don't wanna have a disadvantage because my pockets are too shallow. :D

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 11:23:37 AM »
Definitely, it should be purely aesthetic and should never provide any kind of advantage at all.. just a bit of harmless customization..

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »
Seem's like a pretty neat idea to me. What about only 'allowing' these clan jerseys / when.. say, everyone on one team is tagged up and logged in correctly; or only in locked or 'match-mode' servers.

Finally, a reasonable incentive for joe-schmoes to sign up for the GLS, I like it.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
Wasn't this discussed in the jitspoes plan. thread?

doomkid21

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
(Near Year Necro-post, but contributing.)
This could be player uploaded, but you could also add some scripting for this to not work on some servers or client-side, or both in order to keep people from "QQ"ing about a logo.
Or an ability to block a certain logo from a player list, saved on the player's CPU using the GLP's name to be blocked.
All together:Coding can make this a very fun and applicable idea.