Author Topic: Break game code up into multiple libraries  (Read 12707 times)

Garrett

• Autococker
Break game code up into multiple libraries
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »
 ...and open source parts of it.
Taken from the old feature vote.
This would be very useful because it will allow people to have more freedom to develope different parts of the game.
Topic of interest:
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=10075.0

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

Garrett

• Autococker
Re: Break game code up into multiple libraries
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
Thank you jits.  Come on you coding junkies.  You wanted this kind of stuff so lets go.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »
Come on you modding junkies.  Post some feedback

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »
Question for Jitspoe: What is in there that can be separated?  I know that the Bot AI is in there, but what else?

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:24:52 PM »
I would also like to know the answer to zorch's question, because if there is not anything to break up, this is sort of wasted.  But if there is something to break off and develop separately, well, um, I am not so sure what exactly could benefit, but whatever, more info is needed before voting anyway.
-Cusoman

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:44:08 PM »
I put it up because of two reasons:
1.  Want to see the bot AI and develop it
2.  It was in the feature vote and thought that if I posted it, Jitspoe would disclose what would be given if this goes through
Soo... Jitspoe?
not trying to sound pushy or sarcastic

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 07:15:36 AM »
Basically take all of the cheat detection related code out and put it in its own .dll.  The rest (bot AI, game logic, chase camera, stats logging, etc.) can remain in the gamex86.dll and be open-sourced.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »
Basically take all of the cheat detection related code out and put it in its own .dll.  The rest (bot AI, game logic, chase camera, stats logging, etc.) can remain in the gamex86.dll and be open-sourced.
Sounds good.  Who needs to see the cheat detection code anyway?... no one

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »

Ok, that makes sense.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »
Would the GLS code be extracted and placed in it's own DLL or is that already separate from the code you guys want?

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
Would the GLS code be extracted and placed in it's own DLL or is that already separate from the code you guys want?
I'm not sure, Jits would know.  I believe Jits doesn't want the community to be able to download the cheat detection system and the GLS code though.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »
:D I hope this goes through, I would love to take more of a look at what makes paintball tick.. even if it is probably all in vanilla C :P

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 02:02:51 AM »
:D I hope this goes through, I would love to take more of a look at what makes paintball tick.. even if it is probably all in vanilla C :P
Thanks for supporting this.  We need more votes to get this implemented though.  Help spread the word.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 12:14:12 AM »
I'm not voting for this simply because we've had large parts of the code open-sourced for so long, and nobody has yet to significantly improve upon it, with the exception of XB (I think?) and Cobo.  If you guys took the current open-sourced portions of the code and did something neat with it - If someone can add bloom, per-pixel lighting, or even shadows for SKM models - then I'll vote for this.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 01:22:52 AM »
There's no question that someone can add those things, or that they have the ability to. But if such a person were to come along (or if they're already here) and this weren't implemented, they'd probably lose interest pretty quickly.

Even if no one who can do those things happens to come along, open sourcing more of the code will let more development take place (as cobo and friends have shown) without taking up more of jit's time.

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 06:51:27 AM »
I'm not voting for this simply because we've had large parts of the code open-sourced for so long, and nobody has yet to significantly improve upon it, with the exception of XB (I think?) and Cobo.  If you guys took the current open-sourced portions of the code and did something neat with it - If someone can add bloom, per-pixel lighting, or even shadows for SKM models - then I'll vote for this.

That's because a lot of the stuff people want done and want to work on themselves can't be done without having the game code.  Personally, I have no interest in improving the engine -- not because I don't think it's worthwhile, but because I'd rather fix bugs and add features that contribute to the gameplay instead of concerning myself with the aesthetics.  Also, I'm not going to B.S. you; I have no idea how to implement lighting and whatnot, but I also have absolutely no desire to learn.  Why does that mean I shouldn't be able to help do the things that I do know how to fix/implement and want to work on?

I would have coded team deathmatch long ago had I had access to the relevant gameplay code (as an aside, two thumbs up to jits for implementing team dm).  I'd also like to take a stab at fixing the grenade bugs and implementing features like showing clan ids and subsequently allowing clan specinvites -- things I can't do with the current code.  There's such a large variation in the coding skill required to do some of the things listed in the Feature Vote thread that if something extremely difficult reaches the top of the list and jits spends however many weeks working on implementing it, small bugs that novice programmers like myself would be capable of fixing go unaddressed for extended periods of time.

I mean seriously, what the hell?  Ragdoll Physics is higher in the list than fixing bugs like removing the player model in first-person camera mode, fixing the spawn code, and fixing the errors with funname formatting.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!  With the exception of the funname formatting, these types of bugs can't be fixed without access to the game code, and will not be fixed until the community gets off its duff and stops voting for worthless crap we don't need and learns to prioritize "getting it right" instead of "getting it done."  <-- Let me make it clear that that is not a slam on jitspoe at all, it's a slam on the community and their acquiescence to living with correctable errors because they want something frivolous like clan logos on jerseys instead of preventing two players from spawning inside of each other and being invincible.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »
Funny you should talk about that y00tz, I was thinking about adding the ability for assembly, cg, and glsl gpu programs to be referenced in r_scripts, then doing somthing with it, but I haven't even glanced at the engine code yet, and I'd need to buy a new graphics card to replace my dead 6800GTOC. Implementing things like PPL with the FFP would be madness, fragment programs are a must first.

MissingNo.

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »
DIGTIAL PAINT: PAINTBALL 2 Wii WILL LIVE ON!!!!!!

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
DIGTIAL PAINT: PAINTBALL 2 Wii WILL LIVE ON!!!!!!

i can actually see that happening lol! that would be pretty awesome if that did happen xD