Author Topic: Feature Request: Pong / Soccer bugfix  (Read 5308 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Feature Request: Pong / Soccer bugfix
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
There are some bugs with the pong mode, which should be fixed as soon as possible...

- A fast ball can pass through people sometimes.
- Correct "...team scored" message with 2-team / 3-team / 4-team pong.

Garrett

• Autococker
Re: Feature Request: Pong / Soccer bugfix
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
- A fast ball can pass through people sometimes.
I just thought that was a feature of the mode.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »
lol a feature?
more like an annoyance, to me. and it doesn't have to be going super-fast, either. i guess it's something with the boundaries that needs to be fixed - i.e. the bounds of the ball and a person shouldn't be allowed to overlap at all.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:45:59 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10097

One request per thread, please.  The score message is actually correct, though it is confusing with just 2 teams.  If the red team is scored on, the blue team gets points in a 2-team map.  In a 4-team map, if the red team is scored on, the blue, purple, and yellow team get points.  In either case, the red team is scored on, and that's the message that's printed.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to fix the pong ball passing through people.  During our testing of different methods to handle the ball physics, we did have a more "solid" approach.  The ball would hit a player and stop, but players would also stop when they hit the ball.  You'd run forward, hit the ball, come to a dead stop, and the ball would go about 2 feet because the player had no momentum.  In the current approach, the ball is a trigger.  Players can pass through the ball, but when they touch it, it registers, and the game tacks the player velocity and angle onto the ball's.  Unfortunately, if the ball is moving fast enough, it can be in front of the player one frame and behind the player on the next frame, never registering the touch.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 12:44:42 AM »
Is the feature even doable then?  I would rather have it go through me instead of what you just described.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 12:50:45 AM »
this might be a crazy idea ... or not, i don't know.
would it be too expensive to, given the ball's current velocity, predict the ball's position in the next frame and then see if a player is in between those two locations? the reason i ask if it's too expensive is that this computation and test would have to be performed between every set of 2 frames of the ball's motion (right?).