Author Topic: NPPL Super 7 Spyder Field - Huntington Beach  (Read 4654 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
NPPL Super 7 Spyder Field - Huntington Beach
« on: February 02, 2008, 07:57:40 PM »
More out of curiosity than anything, I decided to make a to-scale field just to see what it would be like in-game.  I used the spyder layout from this page:

http://www.nppl.tv/site//articles/85/1/3D-Field-Layouts-Released-for-Huntington-Beach-Event

Looks pretty bad with the stock textures.  Maybe if it's worth playing I'll make some better ones.

Download: http://dplogin.com/files/maps/beta/supspyder_b1.bsp

I'll post some screenshots shortly.

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: NPPL Super 7 Spyder Field - Huntington Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »
I think it looks pretty neat, what kind of texture(s) do you have in mind?  It would almost have to have creases (right word?) so that it didn't just look like metal, but that's be pretty hard to pull off, anyway, that's phong shading right?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »
Boo to small.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:21:37 PM »
I like the concept.  Would go good with the team deathmatch gamemode as well as team elim.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »
I don't know... This version doesn't seem to-scale to me. The back can (in front of where the players would spawn) looks too close to the back, the aztecs (4-sided, flat top pyramid type bunkers) should be around the same height as the carwashes (long, rounded-top, around player height ones), among a couple other things. That's not to say it couldn't be fixed within like 5 seconds, though. I don't think it would be worth playing in this game, though. Maybe in a game where you don't jump a full player height, or run 30 mph, but the map is nice.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »
Boo to small.
The point was to make it to scale.

I don't know... This version doesn't seem to-scale to me. The back can (in front of where the players would spawn) looks too close to the back, among a couple other things. That's not to say it couldn't be fixed within like 5 seconds, though. I don't think it would be worth playing in this game, though. Maybe in a game where you don't jump a full player height, or run 30 mph, but the map is nice.
Yeah, I moved that forward from where it was in the layout picture (first link).  It was all the way at the edge.

Here's a screenshot.  Ultimately I'd like to have textures like the inflatable things in Trackmania Nations.  I'd have to put ARB fragment support in r_scripts or something to get that effect, though.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
By the screens, the map looks bigger then it really is...  I like it though.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »
It's 100x180 feet, I believe.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that the layout pics on NPPL.tv have, maybe about 5-10 feet cut off there on the ends where the deadboxes, starting areas, etc... would be.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that the layout pics on NPPL.tv have, maybe about 5-10 feet cut off there on the ends where the deadboxes, starting areas, etc... would be.
Team dead Boxes would make the map look even more realistic. 

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:16:05 AM »
I like it, can be fast or you can slow it down.
You just need to control cross corners. And know the lines.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:14:45 AM »
Team dead Boxes would make the map look even more realistic. 

DM doesn't have jails, we need TDM first

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 04:00:57 AM »
I know we don't have TDM yet.  It is in-progress and we do have Team elim.  I never wanted this map to support DM because the mode wouldn't fit this style of map and you would need more room for a good DM with a spyder being the starting weapon.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »
Couldn't you have TDM by making it CTF and just not putting any flags in?

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 11:38:20 AM »
You could also just add the flags but make them not grab able, like on top of the spawn box or outside of the arena, it could also be a base indicator visible above the players somewhere.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »
No, because team deathmatch adds up all of the the teams kill counts and compares it to the other team's kill count.  Team with the most wins.  What you guys described is the elimination game mode.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »
No, because team deathmatch adds up all of the the teams kill counts and compares it to the other team's kill count.  Team with the most wins.  What you guys described is the elimination game mode.

Ah, that's right. I was just thinking of the way that field would be played in real life, like where you don't come back after every time you get eliminated...