Author Topic: Make ban times consistent  (Read 15992 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Make ban times consistent
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »
Several folks have complained about those distributing cheats getting longer ban times than those using them. A simple fix would be to give anyone involved with cheating a 1k day ban.

This would have to start from the present, rather than going back after the fact to adjust old bans.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
Re: Make ban times consistent
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »
its is pretty consistent isn't it

mass distribution or creation of hacks= 1024 days or permanent
sharing hacks with couple people = 32 days
using hacks= 32 days and doubles every time your caught
multiple accounts = 16 days
multiple accounts with confession = 8 days

thats how i always saw the banning times to be

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
So someone who plotted murder but didn't go through with it should get the same punishment as someone who did commit murder?

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
So someone who plotted murder but didn't go through with it should get the same punishment as someone who did commit murder?

As far as I am concerned the one who pulls the trigger and the one who plotted out every detail so that he could share in the same crime.  Various governments may have a different take.

But whatever governments say regarding murder this is not a criminal justice system. This is a game.  And games that care about the end-user's experience or their reputation do not give leniency to cheating. They crush it out.  That is what I am suggesting be done.

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
Ok, so it's just a game. So why are you caring about what happens?

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »
Ok, so it's just a game. So why are you caring about what happens?

Because I play the game. And I expect it to be free from cheats when they are found. Why does anyone care when someone cheats at a game? It ruins the experience for others.

They don't need the game to survive. They don't even need it to be happy.  This is not torture or sleep deprivation. It is just removing the privilege that they did not value in the first place.

My main purpose for stating  that it is a game was to note that the murder example is simply not comparable. I was not stating that since it is a game nothing matters, anything goes, let them do whatever they want.

Games add enjoyment to life. But games are meaningless when rules are not followed. Those who can't follow them need not play.

gohan

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »
so are you like "the law" these days?

what you say goes ya?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 06:42:16 PM »

Lies. I did the second one i.e. sharing it with a couple people and yet I still have 1024.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 07:02:40 PM »

Lies. I did the second one i.e. sharing it with a couple people and yet I still have 1024.

Distribution is distribution, no matter how many people are on the receiving end.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 07:11:56 PM »

This is not real life. Please dont compare real life events to the game.  it wont help anyone's cause.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 07:48:05 PM »
so are you like "the law" these days?

what you say goes ya?

Nope.  It is a suggestion.  If I had any authority it would have already been done and I wouldn't be hashing it out here.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:17:14 PM by m7feettall »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 07:51:45 PM »

And my solution would get rid of those ambiguities.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
The problem with this is, if everyone that touched hacks had a 1024 day ban, there wouldn't be any meddling players left, besides your average newbie/noname who isn't fun to play with anyways

Edit: I know you guys like to treat this like a big deal, real life situation kind of deal, but when it all comes down to it, it's just a free online game with a comparatively small community. The ban system is fine the way it is, 1024 days sounds shorter than it really is, and isn't warranted for just one slip-up.

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »
Well i got 64 days for "assisting" a player in finding hacks. Even though i never gave him a link or anything. The kid never did hack either.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 01:04:36 PM »
When a ban is handed out, we also take in to consideration any other past offenses when making the final decisions.

So the ban times stated above are guidlines, not written in stone.

I don't think the community would like it if there were no flexibility built in.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 04:50:31 PM »
When a ban is handed out, we also take in to consideration any other past offenses when making the final decisions.

So the ban times stated above are guidlines, not written in stone.

I don't think the community would like it if there were no flexibility built in.

Those who cheat or help with it should have NO place in the game.  Flexibility in dealing with cheating is just a nice way of saying you are not eliminating it completely.  If you get rid of the flexibility and just get rid of all known cheaters folks may be less willing to cheat in the future.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
The problem with this is, if everyone that touched hacks had a 1024 day ban, there wouldn't be any meddling players left, besides your average newbie/noname who isn't fun to play with anyways

So anyone who is fun to play with cheats?

Don't buy that for a second.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »
No, it isn't fun to play with them. But that's why they still get *banned*. The problem with your logic isn't the banning it's the overkill of the punishment versus the crime. It's like you're saying someone stole a bag of chips so they should get the meddling death penalty...

God. everyone on this forum just has to play CSI agent lately :P

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
No, it isn't fun to play with them. But that's why they still get *banned*. The problem with your login isn't the banning it's the overkill of the punishment versus the crime. It's like you're saying someone stole a bag of chips so they should get the meddling death penalty...

God. everyone on this forum just has to play CSI agent lately :P

Please demonstrate how not letting someone play dp is like the death penalty? It is not remotely similar.  There is nothing horrendous in preventing someone from playing a game that they have undermined by their actions.

Cheating ruins the game, ruins the experience for others and should not be tolerated in any way.  And i do not even watch CSI, nor am I pretending to be an agent, finding things out. I am asking that when folks are found they are removed from the community so we can have a decent game.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »
Youre posting yourself into a hole m7.

You cant ban everyone for hacking with a lifetime. ruins the game, its community, and its fanbase...

youd know this if you idled more than just #team_int on IRC =\