Author Topic: Feature Request: Prop Physics  (Read 10640 times)

SpyderX

• PGP
Feature Request: Prop Physics
« on: March 08, 2008, 09:37:38 AM »
It would be cool if the props in the game were tied to some kind of prop physics so some models would be solid objects and would move if they were shot or run into.

Edit: My bad... You can delete this post.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 06:54:25 PM by SpyderX »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Feature Request: Prop Physics
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 01:11:50 PM »
Ragdoll death animation / Decent physics engine

and

Solid Models (thought there was already a feature vote for this one)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »
First of all, wrong forum

Second, this has already been requested, essentially.

EDIT: :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

Garrett

• Autococker

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 05:52:51 AM »
Yer, its a good idea, you could have different physics without having to make stuff react to paintballs. Good idea, +1

sorry for resurrecting an old thread

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:15:55 AM »
4 day old thread is not old thread..

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:56:05 AM »
It is in some forums and at times I click on something at feature vote for the forums topic and it's like, 5 weeks old and i post on it and people flame at me for it.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
5 weeks is a different story, in this case the post before yours was only 2 days ago, you're fine

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »
A topic is usually considered old after 6-7 days.  It depends on the quality of the post and the information being given.  If a topic is 7 days old and the only thing you add is a one word reply, that is bad, but if you add a quality response to something someone said or add something that makes sense and wasn't mentioned before, it isn't a bad thing.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »
BACK ON TOPIC.
Could the ragdoll deaths come into this as well? Cos being able to shoot flying corpses for a few seconds and see them move would be cool.
Also, could you make things like bottles smash, instead of move? Same with glass.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
Um... what kind of paintballs are you shooting?

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »
BACK ON TOPIC.
Could the ragdoll deaths come into this as well? Cos being able to shoot flying corpses for a few seconds and see them move would be cool.
Also, could you make things like bottles smash, instead of move? Same with glass.
The corpse idea sounds cool but I don't know of many paintballs that could shatter a glass bottle.  Maybe point blank with the velocity cranked up but for the glass bottle model to even be able to move, you would need solid models that could be affected by a paintball hitting it.

Edit:  Didn't see Zorch's post about solid models, my bad.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »
I think a paintball would be more likely to shatter glass than move a corpse.  Cans and plastic bottles are about all that would move much.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
Um... what kind of paintballs are you shooting?
Yeah, my bad. I meant having it only on autocockers and only from a certain painball velocity or something like that.
Make the cans crumple as well, that would be really cool.

I think that the answer for all of these physics questions are all answered by getting a new physics engine.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 01:30:02 PM »
I think that the answer for all of these physics questions are all answered by getting a new physics engine.

Hardly.  Even if there were a perfect physics engine out there (most of the ones I've seen are too slow, buggy, unstable and/or not GPL compatible), you don't just "get" it.  It would have to be integrated into the quake2 BSP system (or convert the level to polygons and do a mesh collision, which would be horribly slow and inefficient).  Then the whole networking protocol would have to be revamped to account for all the dynamic objects, and would also use a lot more bandwidth.  The server framerate would probably have to be increased in order to have more accurate physics simulations, which means more bandwidth yet again, more CPU used, etc.  And things like breaking bottles, dinted cans, etc, would all have to be modeled in different states and need a bunch of different sound effects recorded for different impacts and states.

If I add something like moving props or ragdolls, they're going to be hacked into the existing collision system with as few changes as possible.  I'm not going to create a full blown physics simulation system or attempt to implement an existing one just so you can shoot cans around.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 05:27:49 PM »
I'm only for new physics if they're %100 optional and client-side.

EDIT: Meaning they'd be for looks only, of course. A bottle here or there would have no impact on gameplay- but it'd be cool if it flew around when you shot a paintball through it, for example. I just want ragdoll deaths.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 04:09:19 AM »
I'm only for new physics if they're %100 optional and client-side.

EDIT: Meaning they'd be for looks only, of course. A bottle here or there would have no impact on gameplay- but it'd be cool if it flew around when you shot a paintball through it, for example. I just want ragdoll deaths.
Yer, I'm gonna agree with you there

Hardly.  Even if there were a perfect physics engine out there (most of the ones I've seen are too slow, buggy, unstable and/or not GPL compatible), you don't just "get" it.  It would have to be integrated into the quake2 BSP system (or convert the level to polygons and do a mesh collision, which would be horribly slow and inefficient).  Then the whole networking protocol would have to be revamped to account for all the dynamic objects, and would also use a lot more bandwidth.  The server framerate would probably have to be increased in order to have more accurate physics simulations, which means more bandwidth yet again, more CPU used, etc.  And things like breaking bottles, dinted cans, etc, would all have to be modeled in different states and need a bunch of different sound effects recorded for different impacts and states.

If I add something like moving props or ragdolls, they're going to be hacked into the existing collision system with as few changes as possible.  I'm not going to create a full blown physics simulation system or attempt to implement an existing one just so you can shoot cans around.

Okay, okay so I may have been a little.... imaginative there. My bad (how many times have i said that?!?)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »
Rag dolls could be hacked in to kick in client side when a death animation starts playing, but props would have to have some kind of interaction on the server.  How would the client know if a paintball hit a bottle?  All the current physics are handled server side.  The client just draws what the server tells it to.  Also, if the paintball hit a bottle, then whatever is behind that bottle would not be hit.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
The paintball would go through the bottle, the bottle would act like it had been hit. The client would need to trace the path of the ball from point A to point B and see if it hit anything. That's way too much work though.

Just. Ragdoll deaths.