Author Topic: If you are having problems with running a new server, READ BELOW:  (Read 6345 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
If you have problems starting a server, running a server, your friends can't connect to your server, or your server does not show up on the server list, answer the following questions and post the answers.  

FAILING TO DO THIS OR POSTING THAT YOU "SEARCHED THE FORUMS AND COULDN'T FIND A SOLUTION" WILL GET YOUR POST REMOVED.

1. Public ip address and port used for server.

2. Visit the server troubleshooter here and post your results

3. If you are making a stand alone server, post your startup command line and a copy of your config file with the passwords erased.

4. If this is a home server, make sure you know how to forward the port that your server uses from the WAN side (the port on your router hooked up to your cable modem, dsl modem, or whatever you use to connect to the internet) of your router to the LAN side ( the ports that connect to the pc's at your house) of your router. If you have questions on how to do this, post screen shots of your router config page showing the port forwarding setup.

Go here: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

From Superman:

I've noticed that the most common problem players have with starting their own servers is forwarding the ports properly.  There is a great site to help with this:
www.portforward.com   I noticed a couple other threads mention this site, but they all just tell you to visit the site, instead of showing how.  I've helped a fair amount of people with forwarding ports through dp and irc, and I think this would be useful. + I'm bored and can't sleep, thinking about ports sends me right back to class, getting sleepy already.

Anyways Here is a quick little guide on how to use it.

Step 1:  Make sure all the steps from this guide have been completed. www.digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/docs/server_guide_win32.html

Step 2:  Determine what brand and model of router you have.  (Go look at your router, it should say right on it.) 

Step3:  Go to www.portforward.com

Step 4:  Find your router on the list of routers on www.portforward.com

Step 5:  Once you select your router from the list you will the see a list of games.  Select  "Quake 2"

Step 6:  Find your internal IP address.  This is the address your router gives to your computer, this is NOT the IP you will see on the portforward main page and this is NOT the IP your server will have.
 To find what we are looking for go to your start menu, click "run", type "cmd" in the box and hit enter.  A black box similar to the server itself will pop up.  Type ipconfig and hit enter.  The number we are looking for is the IPv4 address

Enter the last few digits into the box.

Step 7:  Scroll down and carefully follow the guide.  It has pictures for every step of the way.

Congratulations... You just forwarded your first port

Notes:  Many routers assign internal IP addresses dynamically.  This means that if your internal IP address is something like 192.168.1.2  tomorrow it could be 192.168.1.3.  So if after forwarding the port your server is working, but the next day it isn't, this is probably why.

Let me know if I missed anything

if you need assistance configuring port forwarding on your router.

Providing just those 4 pieces of information instead of
I've tried every command and i cant get my server on the public sever list. it makes me so confused
or
i did search and nothing worked so next time ask why it seems i didn't search
will show that you are genuinely interested in getting your server working and not just picking dust bunnies out of your belly button expecting others to do all the work for you.

DO NOT POST YOUR SERVER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE START A NEW ONE.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:02:52 AM by KnacK »