Author Topic: DarkAges new map beta.  (Read 12145 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: DarkAges new map beta.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:55:18 PM »
Pretty. Dling...

Gremlin

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 12:19:15 AM »
darn good map...looks great and plays great...lots of different directions you can go ...makes for interesting gameplay...look forward to seeing this one and more like it  in regular rotation...gj s8n...

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:31:52 AM »
Worst, map, ever.

Just kidding, was fun -- lots of speed... looks great from overhead...

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 01:05:16 AM »
  The screenshots look great.  The only thing that jumped out at me was the vertical grain on the walkway railings in screenshot 9.  Maybe we could test it Tuesday... 10PM EST? (or eastern daylight saving... whichever we're on)
  I look for to checking it out.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 04:24:32 AM »
i can't really close my mouth... its one of the best maps i've ever seen, fantastic job s8n!!

because my english is bad, i will try to tell u only the things that i don't like very much:

-for me a map has to be symmetric, that every team has the same possibilities and the same distance to the other base, i know, i'm not a S8N in mapping, but its also easier to make one half (and this one brilliant) and to copy it and mirror it, but thats my opinion, ur map has 2 brilliant halfes, thats why i like it althought..

-and i would prefer it that u can do some more light, there are places that are really dark, and i fear in the dark...

-and the last one (right side):
http://img517.imageshack.us/full.php?image=sshot0079st.jpg

that looks not very great, if u can i would tell u to do something..

and can u send my ur .map file by mail or post it in the forum, because i can learn very much from u, and perhaps, in few years, i can make a little better maps than those i've made, thans alot if u do it, i woul die for that...

greez pimp

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 07:30:03 AM »
Wow i missed that texture...good deal!!!
I will release the .map file with the map, when I get all the feedback and fix all the issues.

Just by the screenshot, i'm trying to figure out where this is...i'll hafta get in there and look around. I thought I covered all the seethru place...guess not.
http://img517.imageshack.us/full.php?image=sshot0079st.jpg

Keep the feedback coming!

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 09:34:33 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:02:18 PM by IronFist »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 11:16:16 AM »
WoW, That looks Bonerific...!
Keep up the good work
-Termin8oR

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 11:52:28 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:06:17 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 12:39:11 PM »
You can still see through the sky even if you're not on the wall, so some kind of blocker needs to be put up.  Another option would be to move the sky further out and make the outside wall of that room visible.

The way it currently is:
Code: [Select]
________
|#######
|#######
|#######
|#######

(where # is sky).

Potential solution:
Code: [Select]
________
|      /
|    /##
|  /####
|/######

Then just fill the void with some ground or something and put a clip texture there.

As Pimp pointed out, there are a lot of dark spots (particularly in that room that's visible through the sky on the blue side), so you should probably add more lights.  Perhaps scale the lighting up on the map as a whole, too.  You can do this with a custom batch file by adding -scale 1.5 (or whatever number looks good) to the arghrad line.  From previous discussions with you, I'm pretty sure your monitor is a lot brighter than most people's, so keep this in mind with your lighting.

A few nitpicks:
You should rotate the grain on the ladders to be horizontal.  Also, where ladders go through a ceiling, you should only make the area that clears the opening have the ladder flag.  For example, you can climb up the rightmost side of a ladder, hit your head on the ceiling, and have to jump down and try again.  The easiest way to do that is to use a clip brush with the ladder flag and don't put the ladder flag on the ladder brushes directly.  I know it sounds trivial, but things like that can be really frustrating in the heat of battle.  Also, the bots get stuck on the ladders.

You should use a woodgrain texture on the edges of the tudor textures.  Sometimes the wood of the tudor is there and it looks good.  Sometimes not.  Also, at least one texture needs to be aligned, but I can't remember where it was.

You have the phong shading on the purple barrels, which looks good, but it's not on the blue barrels inside the room discussed at the beginning of this post (maybe elsewhere, too -- didn't look thoroughly).

I think the metal plate textures need to go, especially on that Y support thing.  They look out of place.

Anyway, it looks good so far.  I can put it up for testing, but I don't think I'll be around tonight.  I'll just give you a login or something.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 05:54:24 PM »
You make maps good?  ;)  nice cant wait, I will be gone for the next 3 weeks, Jitspoe when its done or what ever please load it.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 09:58:10 PM »
Ok...can i see a screenshot from someone that thinks the map is too dark so I can get a measure on how much to brighten it?

Fixin all that stuff above.
All barrels except the ones in that back room are phonged...will do all.
The ladders...I always use a clip brush with ladder flag...it just extended out to the edge...brought it in a good bit

w00p...like to see those sshots before i do another final compile.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 08:51:24 AM »
Well darn...
I fixed all the hooha and did a recompile.
It sits on my home machine, which, for some reason, I cannot access right now from work.
I had intended to get someone to look at it to test the brightness factor (did the -scale 1.5 on arghrad), then release.
Guess it'll have to wait till tonight.

Will release the .map with it also.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 08:54:56 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:02:00 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 01:00:50 PM »
Looks like you have overbright off, which makes everything twice as dark.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
Ok...
Fixed some textures
Fixed the brightness
Added a thing or two
Fixed the ladders (though they aren't totally fixed...you can still kinda get stuck, but they are alot better than they were).

Here be the FINAL linkage!
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/stuff/darkages.zip

Put it in your ...\paintball\pball\maps directory

Oh...the .MAP file is included in the zip.
I use BSP for map making.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 09:27:43 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:01:52 PM by IronFist »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 05:24:29 PM »
Ok...
Fixed some textures
Fixed the brightness
Added a thing or two
Fixed the ladders (though they aren't totally fixed...you can still kinda get stuck, but they are alot better than they were).

Here be the FINAL linkage!
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/stuff/darkages.zip

Put it in your ...\paintball\pball\maps directory

Oh...the .MAP file is included in the zip.
I use BSP for map making.
Jitspoe please add to my server, be a pal and put into rotation as well, i wont be around to doit.!!!  Cant wait to play it against ya s8n.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 02:05:43 PM »
Played it last night ,     freaking awsome!! jitspoe is it loaded yet?