Author Topic: Cheat Detected: Alaric  (Read 10420 times)

KaySL

• PGP
Re: Cheat Detected: Alaric
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 07:13:36 AM »
Then perhaps he isn't as much of an amateur as I thought. Still, the hardware hash of the computer is associated with my account anyway.

ryex

• PGP
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »
tsk tsk kay thats bad o well i still dont think taht you would hack i believe that it was a family member but ehh hope to see you when ban is over it was always fun playing with you

KaySL

• PGP
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 05:31:51 AM »
Aw, thanks, Ryex. Happy to see you cared enough to register in the forums just to say so ;D

Hope to see you in the game soon.

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
whoh so much emotion makes me upset.

KaySL

• PGP
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »
Staggeringly beautiful, ain't it? ;D I'm almost weeping blood here.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »
Hate to ban you again right after your last ban expired, but it looks like you've been using a modified client executable.

KaySL

• PGP
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 05:47:30 AM »
You've got to be kidding? I use Linux, I changed the build number to 666 for a laugh, recompiled the source, voila. I guess my opensource enthusiasm took me over. Where exactly is it stated that that's against the rules???

Seriously, 60 days for a completely innocent violation of a rule I've never seen? I'm really beginning to hate this community. I see countless speedhackers, racists and just plain idiots online every time I play, and far as I see, they're just ignored by whoever enforces the bans while people like me take inconceivable amounts of flak for _this_?

As an afterthought, shouldn't there be a built-in warning that appears when you run a modified binary of PB?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:48:56 AM by KaySL »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 10:10:04 AM »
1. Its in the agreement when you creat eyour GLS
2. Its in the EULA.

KaySL

• PGP
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 10:19:51 AM »
Really? Closest thing I can find in what I assume to be the End User License Agreement (the text files named 'license', as well as 'paintball2agreement' is this:

"By installing and using Paintball2, you agree not

to use any cheats or modify the game content in order to gain an

unfair advantage while playing against human opponents."

First, it's not a cheat, second, it doesn't give me an advantage by any stretch of the imagination. (Not unless people think I'm Satan and can't bring themselves to shoot at me :D)

And let's face it, even WERE it explicitly stated, who reads the license agreements anyway? I had - obviously wrongly - assumed that since Jitspoe had kindly licensed the game under the terms of the GNU Public License that this sort of corporate shafting attitude would be nonexistant.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »
There should have been a modified content warning, unless your compiled executable ended up being exactly the same size as the original.

The problem is, there's no way to tell the difference between a modification that just a little tinker and one that's a full blown blatant cheat.  It's very easy to create cheats with open sourced code, and the code is required to be open sourced by the GPL, so to keep things simple, we just don't allow any modified clients.

This is what is shown during the install:

DO NOT CHEAT

Plain and simple.  By installing, using, or owning a copy of Paintball2, you agree not to use any cheats or modify the game executable or content in order to gain an unfair advantage while playing against human opponents.  Doing so will result in banishment from public servers, disqualification from competitions, and/or legal prosecution.  Digital Paint reserves the right to scan your computer for modified game content and known cheat utilities during the operation of Paintball2.  While the GPL grants the ability to freely modify the game engine, use of unofficial or modified engines on public servers will likely result in a ban.  This is necessary to keep the game fair and cheat-free.  You are responsible for other players on your computer and/or network.  We will not lift a ban simply because somebody else was cheating on your connection.  Digital Paint also reserves the right to generate and store unique identifiers using components of your computer's hardware.  This is done using irreversible hashing algorithms.  No direct data about your hardware is transferred or stored.  This is necessary to hardware-based bans to keep evasive cheaters off of the servers.

ryex

• PGP
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 04:29:29 PM »
lol kay its ok but now ur banned for 2 months o well im banned i used zgh for a total of 5 minutes and got banned lol lets find another game

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
Nah I'm pretty sure you'll come back in 32 days.

KaySL

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 06:39:16 AM »
Jitspoe:

The binary couldn't possibly have been exactly the same size, and yet I didn't get a warning. The extra few bytes (666) in the version define would have made sure it was larger. But fine, I guess I have little choice but to wait the ban out... again, despite gaining no material benefit by changing the build number. It's almost unfathomable why you refuse to let a stupid little thing like this slide, but whatever, I guess.

P.S. What if a person compiled the source with higher or lower level optimizations on the compiler level? Would they be singled out, too? Also, if you'd like, I could send you my PB binary and you could see for yourself that there's only a few byte difference between it and a vanilla compile.

Magalhaes:

It'd be nice, but the ban's for 60 days, unless a little leniency - and perhaps common sense - is exercised.

Ryex:

Not that I agree with your use of the ZGH Multihack, at least you came clean about it, if only after the actual ban :D. If you've got any games that can be played on Linux, then sure, I'll play with you. Been too long.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »
I was talking to ryex.

ryex

• PGP
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »
ya i know its like 14 now though but after i see all the stupid bans out there i think this game needs a beter magement system so therefore i shall most likely move on to another game. And kay i just cant seem to stop growing lol.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 01:18:58 PM »
* KnacK wants to be the first to wish you bubye ;D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »
I'll review your case with the committee.

KaySL

• PGP
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 04:45:05 AM »
I'll review your case with the committee.

If that was directed towards me, then thanks, Jits. (There _is_ a committee, right?)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
Committee voted to keep the ban.  Sorry if it was just an innocent change, but even just changing the build number causes problems.  It's not just in there for looks.  The server uses it to validate clients, know which features are available, etc.

KaySL

• PGP
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 09:58:19 AM »
Disappointing, but fair's fair, I guess. Thanks for giving me a chance anyway.