Author Topic: new map - *- Palace -*  (Read 4695 times)

Pimp

• VM-68
new map - *- Palace -*
« on: December 17, 2005, 05:35:51 AM »
My next map is finished, i have to say that its something like castle2, its not really imaginative, but with a lot of ways :) and like c1 with 2 flags. have a look, its a big map, like 4vs4 or more.

includes a lot of barrels like u see on the screens, and all textures of them are aligned :)

Download the File

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: new map - *- Palace -*
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 12:19:48 PM »
Looks decent. Dling...
It seemed a little wide to me. And empty. It also needs more weapons outside of the base.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 10:48:01 PM »
Looks pretty good so far.  I like the fact that you made the second flag worth more.  Matches on castle1 almost always ended too quickly.  I also like the more realistically sized stairs in some areas, though they're still thetypical huge stairs in other areas.  Also, on the high path, near the gap you have to jump over, there's a set of steps that's too big to walk up.

The lighting is kind of bland.  Since you're using a day sky, I'd suggest using at least a little bit of sun light (and set the ambient and diffuse up so that the shadows aren't too harsh) instead of the (what appears to be) ambient light you're using now.

Good work on aligning all those sideways barrels.  A small note on the barrels: the .wal files are set up so they do phong shading automatically, but if you have 2 or more barrels with the same texture touching each other, they will shade together and look more like a blob than 2 distinct barrels.  To fix that, change the value on the surface properties to a different number.

There are a lot of paths in the map, but it boils down to a single room everybody must pass through to get to the other base.  I've attached a top-down screenshot to make it easier to see.

A couple more small things: I'd make the capture area larger.  At least cover the whole colored platform that the flag sits on.  It will be very frustrating if somebody doesn't get a capture because they didn't touch the very center of it.  The other is that the main path out of the base doesn't seem to "flow" right.  It may just be because I'm not used to the map, but it seems to be more natural to go straight, up the stairs, and end up back in the base you started at.  Perhaps you could add some arrows to indicate the way to/out of the base so the first time players don't end up going in circles.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 01:44:30 AM »
LOOKS 'F'ING GREAT...!
I CANT WAIT TO PLAY IT, Like WoWzOrS
LMAO
Kinda reminds me of castle1 in some odd way... but Nice Job

-Termin8oR

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 01:53:14 AM »
It's pretty much castle1 with a different layout.
EDIT: I was replying to the guy above me. I don't have a problem with maps looking the same.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 06:19:02 PM by eiii »

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 04:30:26 AM »
First of all, I have really to bow low, i will say thank you very much Jit, that you had a look on every map i have done, you analysed it and you gave me helping proposals. Thats really something I admire.

The map:
@eii: i wrote in my first post that its something like castle1..

@Jit my god:
-The first thing with the stairs, I will fix, only 2 or?

-With the lighting, I tryed to do something like castle, without daylight, if i remove the day-sky and and put on the pbsky3, is it right then? Im using texture lighting and I don't know if its awail, but something like: 'light' '40'.

-im also proud of the barrels, and I will try what u said, althought I have to realign it then... =)

-yeh I thought it also that it ends in 1 room, im trying to fix that, if I can insert it and if I know how. But I'm giving my best.
I thought the base was bigger than the platform? hmmm I have to check that.

Quote from: Jitspoe
It may just be because I'm not used to the map, but it seems to be more natural to go straight, up the stairs, and end up back in the base you started at.  Perhaps you could add some arrows to indicate the way to/out of the base so the first time players don't end up going in circles

Is it useful if i put a team-colored line only on the main path? that if u are following it, u will arrive at the other base..

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 10:19:06 PM »
Just because you're inspired by castle1 doesn't mean you have to match it down to the lighting. :)  At the time it was made, I don't think Arghrad even existed.  You couldn't do all the fancy stuff you can now.  You should take advantage of what you have and make something that looks better.  If you switch to the night sky, you should at least try to make it look like it's lit by the moon or something instead of the rather bland, uniform min lighting.

As for the barrels -- I know it's a pain, but they're only touching in a couple locations, right?

The base, at least on the blue side,was a very small trigger in the center of the platform.  I didn't try the red side.

For the indicators, a the "V" on the bottom of the screen shot above, perhaps you could do something like have a red arrow for the main path to the red side and a blue arrow with a red arrow above it pointing to the door with the stairs, then at the top of the stairs, another set of arrows with blue pointing left (toward the base) and red to the right (high path).

It may not be needed, but you could put an underground path below the center room to make sure it's not a bottle neck.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 04:03:20 AM »
so far, i've done some things, but sorry jit, i really like this lighting and i will not change it... I know it looks not really realistic, but it looks cute and Christmassy ^^

so on have a look on the new version: palace_beta7.zip

-do u have a hint to reduce the filesize?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 04:20:08 AM »
This is the one part I don't like-- the lighting is a lot better now. This part seems really small and tight. I can just see people running into each other in this segment.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 02:01:43 PM »
Eh, that hallway is 3 or 4 people wide -- approx. 14 feet wide.  It's also a path that won't get used too often, I don't think, so it should be fine.

Those arrows should help a lot for new players.  One more place you might want to put one is here (first screenshot).  Also, you might consider adding a ladder here to make things more interesting (second screenshot).  It's not a huge deal, but it looks like some of the barrels are still phong shaded together.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 02:25:36 PM by jitspoe »

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 11:23:36 AM »
kk i thought that also with the ladder :) i will do it and the arows. Like u said, the smal floor is not going to be used often, so i think it has the right size.

will post final version soon

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 01:39:56 PM »
Oh, one last thing.  The hopperco2guns look kinda goofy.  I think it would be better to space them out.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »
It's the ultamate weapon!

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 08:52:14 AM »
so far so good, now the final version: (2.95mb)

Download: palace.bsp

-ladders done
-guns aren't anymore inside of the co2 :)
-arrows done

SeZZ

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2005, 01:08:30 PM »
i love it
Its my pimp =)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005, 10:49:56 PM »
Looks good.  I can't think of anything else, though it probably needs some actual play testing just to make sure there's nothing wrong with spawn points, etc.  Other than that, it should be good.  I'll load it up on EV1 when I get back.