Author Topic: Newmap : Napalm  (Read 13185 times)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap : Napalm
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »
Sorry, what I said probably wouldn't be very clear to a non-native speaker!

T3rr0r15t has found a lot more points than I did, so just fix the things he's shown in his screenshots.

If you want to create simple good looking lights in this map, just make a lamp or a light out of brushes and put a light texture on it. Some of the basic lights that come with DP are the LIT textures. Just apply them to the faces of your light/lamp brushes. If you want to change how bright the lights are, press S and change the value in the box next to the 'Apply To Face' button.

- Dag

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »
Terrorist pointed out most of the errors I was going to (except for the barrels).  Since the map is so small, it shouldn't take long to fix these.  You should make your capture points more like this (see attachments).  Also, sun lighting is pretty easy to do.  You don't have to be a "pro".  This should help: http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Sun+Lighting+Guide

Edit: And I've uploaded your map to the beta server - see PM for details.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:09:07 AM by jitspoe »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 07:50:57 AM »
Hey guys, I´ve finished my map. It´s good for 1on1 or 2on2, no more...
Just had a quick look around, you are right, this would be horrible for a bigger number of people.
nice map. But I dont want to see napalm on a speed server :(
Me neither :P i hope i will se sometimes this map on match servers just for 1on1 or 2on2 :P
The map is a little bit too small for the speed server ;)
I don´t want this map on OTB Speed,
these. This map was never designed for the speed server (superman better be listenin')

I acknowledge that I have been a little harsh on this map lately. It would play a lot better with a small number of people, but as it says above, it is vastly out of place on speed servers. Having to constantly deal with this compact map on Superman's Speed 2 has not been fun with 8 people per team.

This is not a "bad map," rather, it's a misunderstood one.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 07:55:12 AM »
these. This map was never designed for the speed server (superman better be listenin')

I acknowledge that I have been a little harsh on this map lately. It would play a lot better with a small number of people, but as it says above, it is vastly out of place on speed servers. Having to constantly deal with this compact map on Superman's Speed 2 has not been fun with 8 people per team.

This is not a "bad map," rather, it's a misunderstood one.

Why would you revive this thread from 6 years ago for that useless comment?

You have no idea about gameplay, or the game itself, your comment makes no sense. It's not a misunderstood map at all. Where maps are intended doesn't always match where they end up. They end up somewhere because they belong there. This map will never be a "matchmap" - it's a speedmap that's only fun on servers with quick revives.

Don't revive topics with literally no content in your post. It's in map "graveyard" for a reason.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
It's not in the "graveyard" on servers, though.  The map should really be cleaned up or thrown out.  It looks very incomplete - tons of misalignments, poor lighting, etc.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 11:06:40 AM »
I agree that napalm could be cleaned up a bit, but it is still a very fun map.  Some of the games there are pretty intense with tons of carnage.  I understand that not everyone likes that, but there are many people who do.

Maybe this could be one for the mapping committee?  I doubt aircrew would object to others cleaning it up.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »
It's not in the "graveyard" on servers, though.  The map should really be cleaned up or thrown out.  It looks very incomplete - tons of misalignments, poor lighting, etc.
I really don´t understand this hatred towards not completely finished maps. Ok, this is I think my first released map and I personally don´t like it very much, but why to ban maps if people like them? I understand that you´d be much more happy if every map would have no misaligments etc., but if players still like it and they don´t mind, you shouldn´t. I think that this attitude and the fact that we are forced to play over and over same maps and new mappers are discouraged, is one of main reasons why so few people play DP2.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »
Regarding napalm, I don´t think I have .map file, as I deleted all my map files when I quit some year ago, but I believe that napalm doesn´t have any models in it and should be convertable to .map, so anyone good at mapping may fix it..I am not going to do it, because I have too much to do at uni now and I also promissed myself not to map anymore.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »
I really don´t understand this hatred towards not completely finished maps. Ok, this is I think my first released map and I personally don´t like it very much, but why to ban maps if people like them? I understand that you´d be much more happy if every map would have no misaligments etc., but if players still like it and they don´t mind, you shouldn´t. I think that this attitude and the fact that we are forced to play over and over same maps and new mappers are discouraged, is one of main reasons why so few people play DP2.
People complain about the graphics in the game all the time.  A big chunk of that is due to the quality of the maps.  I'm just kind of tired of the "meh, good enough" attitude when half the map is misaligned and the visuals just don't look very good overall.  A lot of the issues are trivial to fix or could be avoided completely with good mapping practice.

Regarding napalm, I don´t think I have .map file, as I deleted all my map files when I quit some year ago, but I believe that napalm doesn´t have any models in it and should be convertable to .map, so anyone good at mapping may fix it..I am not going to do it, because I have too much to do at uni now and I also promissed myself not to map anymore.
Given the size of the map, it would probably be faster to just build it from scratch.  If there's enough interest in keeping it in rotation and you approve, maybe the map committee could revamp it so it looks a little better?

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »
People complain about the graphics in the game all the time.  A big chunk of that is due to the quality of the maps.  I'm just kind of tired of the "meh, good enough" attitude when half the map is misaligned and the visuals just don't look very good overall.  A lot of the issues are trivial to fix or could be avoided completely with good mapping practice.
Yet nobody wants to fix it, so it's not important. People gonna complain, your job jitspoe is knowing what's important and whats not.
But how to do it without playing game?
I have quick idea, since you don't have much time, what about something like "week with jitspoe" where you would show at given time at given server and play along (yes, every week)? I think it would make a quite big meeting on server, where people can enjoy playing. Maybe it would help people keep enjoying this game and show it's not dead.