Author Topic: Feature: Improved 3D Sound (OpenAL)  (Read 5221 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Feature: Improved 3D Sound (OpenAL)
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »
I'd like to spend some time and make some really good use of OpenAL for this game.  Some of the things that could get us:

- HRTF - where the sound is actually modelled like it's entering through an ear, so if you wear headphones you can pinpoint where a sound is coming from easily.  Example: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5899.0
- Hardware accelerated mixing.
- Improved resampling.
- Doppler effects for moving objects
- Reverb (different echos depending on the environment).
- Occluded sounds (so somebody on the other side of a wall sound muffled instead of like he's right next to you).

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10170

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Improved 3D Sound (OpenAL)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
+1! Even without the HRTF stuff (which I didn't know could be done in real-time >_>) better sound would be fantastic.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:19:43 AM »
It's done in hardware - something like the an X-Fi has close to the number of transistors of a Pentium 4.  It filters the sound based on how sound enters your ear.  Of course, it isn't perfect since everybody's ear is shaped differently, but it's a lot better than just putting sound in the left or right channel unfiltered.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »
Aah, so it'd be a hardware thing. That's much more believable. I gotta get me one of those sound cards, I guess.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:33:46 PM »
I simulate how sound comes in through my ears by just unplugging the right speaker...

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »
would this perhaps fix the problem where i can hear the other team moving around their spawn from my spawn? or is that because the map was mirrored? either way it's annoying.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »
I haven't exactly figured out what causes this.  I'm thinking it may be issues specific to certain maps (it's pretty bad on shazam22).  I don't think OpenAL will fix it.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
I have a hunch it is happening to maps that are mirrored on bsp editor. not sure how you would fix that.