Author Topic: [Feature] Connect for Serveradmins  (Read 6114 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
[Feature] Connect for Serveradmins
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
Just an idea, but i like it :P

A special connect for serveradmins, that they can everytime connect to there own servers. Which ignores all limitations (maxclients, password, (temp-)ban,... maybe sv_minclientbuild ??).
And a protection for this player, that nobody can kick him.

Maybe a command like "aconnect server:ip rcon".

skitzo

• Autococker
Re: [Feature] Connect for Serveradmins
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:05:52 PM »
kind of like a reserved slot for the admins?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:43:37 PM »
Can't you just use rcon and find the password?  And rcon to remove the tempban?  And to change the maxclients?  And why would you want to avoid sv_minclientbuild.  Most people these days have higher than what is required on all the servers...  Even though having to use rcon to do all of that, its a waste of time in my point of view.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »
maxclients can only be changed when the server isn't running.  And I believe he means you need the correct rcon password in order to use this command.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 12:58:56 AM »
I know it would require rcon, but its just another tiny thing to implement.  There are already solutions to them, except the maxclients which I forgot about.

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 03:13:20 AM »
I  think that reserved slots that require a password would be a good thing. The server admins could have these slots open for them and/or clan members , for example the server is set to 14 players , if the server is full then  I could  connect to my server. Also this would allow clan members to join their clans servers, in the past we had our servers set to 14/16 players what would happen was there would be 16 ppl on one server and 2 on the other so we started expanding the numbers so the 2 left out could join.Now if we had reserved slots for clan members to join that wouldn't happen. Also it seams that people like joining a 20+ player game. I guess what I am saying is if your clan has a server and you support that server shouldn't you be able to join and use it?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 01:42:53 AM »
Changes to maxclients take effect after the map changes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »
You can't really just "ignore" limitations like maxclients.  Reserved slots might be possible, though, but difficult, since the player ID is established after a player connects to the server.  The implementation may end up with people getting booted, if the server is full up to the reserved slots.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »
How about either allow an extra password for that purpose or adding another password user var.? That's sent near the beginning of the connect sequence.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »
Why is maxclients + reservedslots not feasible? Maxclients would be what everyone sees, when a normal player joins the player count has to be less than maxclients, and when someone with the password joins the player count is tested against maxclients+reservedslots. That's obviously an oversimplification, but why can't it work?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »
Jit was thinking about integrating with the GLS, but that's done later in the connection sequence, so players would be kicked once they got in instead of early.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »
Just use rcon to change the map to something that actually requires strategy and doesn't spawn you with all of the best equipment - that should free up some slots. ;)

Well, here's a vote for what Eiii proposed, since that's the most feasible: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10178

Unfortunately, there's a ton of stuff in the code that references the maxclients setting that would need to be rewritten.  I don't think this will be a trivial feature to add.

Of course, the other option is to just use maxclients, and only allow (maxclients - reserved slots) players to connect, but I hate it when games do this.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
Eiii's option (maxclients + reserved slots) is perfect :D

Kongo

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »
it sounds nice ;-)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
Of course, the other option is to just use maxclients, and only allow (maxclients - reserved slots) players to connect, but I hate it when games do this.

Here is a patch for it, if u want implement it.
But it has one bug. It shows the normal maxclients value instead of the new maxclients value (maxclients - reserved slots). Maybe someone else can fix it.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 03:07:38 AM »
Good idea.

Anyway I hate when I play match and some admin comes and observes - it's in that better situation.
In the worse situation comes vipersen with OP and changes gravity till we won't go away.