Author Topic: New Map: Tower Siege  (Read 7700 times)

_burnt

• Autococker
New Map: Tower Siege
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:26:43 AM »
The first beta of tower siege is now available.
http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/tower_siege/
From the link you can download the .bsp, watch screenshots and read wiki.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Tower Siege
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:38:20 AM »
um the tower is way to easy to defend. With the one entrance it'll be hell to get the flag on this map .try to get some more entrances in there.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:10:43 AM »
There is jumping route to the top (its not hard, hardest part are two double jumps) at the side of the tower. i forgot to put screenshot of it. You can also go to the rock shred behind the tower and jump to the top of the tower from there (you get to the shred from the other jumping place behind the cliffs)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »
Hi JeeJee,

This map is not lit or VISed, you need to make sure that beta maps are properly VIS and RAD compiled before releasing them. This appears to be just a qbsp compile, you should only use this for testing.

I get the feeling that this map is going to need some pretty hefty revisions before it's viable for official release. The balance is largely in favour of the defenders, who should have no problems defending the flag I bet. I like the tunnels and stuff though.

Good luck,

Dag

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
Yea i forgot to mention that i could not lit it because i cant download arghrad. thats because the gamespy's system is under maintnance...

EDIT: Could someone send me ArghRad or something, because i dont know how long Gamespy is under maintenance.

EDIT2: Dag if u could help me a little bit and tell where I should put thos VIS blocks.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:56:19 AM by JeeJee »

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »
Here is the BSP Map Editor (with arghrad): ftp://otb-server.de/pub/BSP%20-%20Map%20Editor/bsp_pb2_build019a.zip

And arghrad alone: ftp://otb-server.de/pub/BSP%20-%20Map%20Editor/ArghRad200.zip

U should fix the leak(s) :P

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 02:06:45 AM »
Okay, the second beta is now available at: http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/tower_siege/

Now it has lightning and I added some hint brushes. I dont add pics here because they look bad. You can look them from DP Resource

EDIT: Thanks for the links Chef-Killer
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:02:47 AM by JeeJee »

justcall

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:05:19 AM »
This map is good idea, but the jumps on the rock are like from some jumping maps, you should do them little easier - for everyone who wants to go this way.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:28:27 AM »
Yea i know that they are difficult. First i thought that i make there a little harder route that not everyone could go from there, but now i think that i should done them easier, because it may be hard to catch the flag... But i dont know what is it like to play with two teams, because i havent played it like that. I have just been there alone and tested if everything would work.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 07:38:55 AM »
Ok, seeing as you asked so nicely:

1) There are lots and lots of leaks. I decompiled beta2 to see how the map was put together and after fixing about 8 leaks, there were still more! That is why the VIS is so bad and there is no lighting (neither of which seem to actually have taken place). These MUST be completely fixed before this map can progess.

2) The map is very open. This means that getting a decent VIS is probably unlikely. I like how you actually read the documentation on using hintbrushes, and VISing though, even if it seems like you've misinterpreted it a bit!

- The very open nature of the map means that despite the hint brushes (in red) aiding in partitioning the 2 halves of the map, the drawn scene in either half is still very large. In theory, hint brushes assist the VIS compiler in properly sectioning corridors and rooms, having a large open outdoor space is kind of off-label use and pretty hard to accomplish.
   > on a side note, FourthX used a very interesting technique for complimenting hint-brushes and terrain in a mesh layout, but I don't understand how to make such a thing myself. The map he did it on was called Ranger - if you read this FourthX, please enlighten us to how this worked!

- The hint brushes are useless in this case anyway, for the following reasons:
  > the ceiling of the map (top of the skybox) doesn't seal off the terrain, so the VIS compiler will assume practically all the map is visible whenever you draw any of the outside, which is basically always.
  > furthermore, the blue arrows show gaps in the cliffs which, even if the ceiling did seal off the map, would undermine the hint brushes - they'd make the engine draw whatever is over the cliff.

3) There are lots of problems with the gameplay:

- Too easy to defend, ridiculously so.
- You get stuck on the light fittings in the tower.
- the slanted roof is too low so you hit it when you jump.
- I have no idea whats going on with the platforms and ramps inside the tower.
- The distances involved are so huge that getting accurate shots is basically impossible. This isn't too fun in DP as the ball flight time + long distances + less than stellar accuracy = annoying.
- the jump map-type areas. Big no-no! I don't share the opinion of Jitspoe and Knack about jumps in maps, but basically having one half of the map as a jump map is ridiculous! When thinking about your map, try and think of weaving threads of gameplay into your map, of differing difficulty (or should that be opportunity?) - with definate advantages to more difficult ones!.

4) Here's the rub - you obviously spent a lot of time on this map, and no effort is truly wasted, but I suggest you try and make Tower Siege MkII if you're in love with the concept. The scales are way off in this map, to rejig it would be a lot of work and you might as well tighten up the concept in a completely new revision. Just something to think about at least.

The concept of a tower siege map is kind of a little bit flawed (but not necessarily bad or unworkable!) as historically they are the way they are because they are easy to defend. A castle's Keep was often the most defensible strategic point in the castle. This means that you have to contrive lots of opportunities for the attacking team, which can be difficult.

Anyway, good luck with the map and that.

Dag

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »
I think that i dump this idea. First it seemed good, but all the way trough the map making, i have thinked more and more, that will this map work? Maybe it could work, but it would need much more time than making a better working map. From my opinion, what mostly affected to the map was, that I had to learn much and much new things and read manuals and other documents. But if somebody wants to develop this idea, be my guest.

EDIT: And i were little bit lost with thos scales, so that why map is so big  ;D

Aero

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
the link is not working, anyone got the mapfile?

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »