Author Topic: New Map: Forgotten Caverns !!FINAL RELEASE!!  (Read 22861 times)

_burnt

• Autococker
New Map: Forgotten Caverns !!FINAL RELEASE!!
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »
Final release!!

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/forgotten_caverns/

Hello! Heres my new map which i finished some time ago.

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/forgotten_caverns_b1.bsp

It has spawns at the base with medium guns and few spawns closer to the middle with low guns. Gamemodes are 1-flag and CTF. There are few autocockers and automags close to the middle.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:12:31 AM by JeeJee »

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Map: Forgotten Caverns
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »
from the screens you need to align the wood textures on the ramps and the siding.
I think its odd to have a barrel half and half colours, it would probably look nicer if you just made it one neutral colour. I'd say you have enough colour indicators anyway for chaning that barrel not to matter

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »
Looks nice. in the screenshots, i saw some misalinged barrel textures.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 05:23:16 AM »
 Wow, I am impressed.

From the first looks I think that this map has good chances of becoming a regular match map for some teams.
1. The flag is hard to camp.
2. The routes leading to other base are connected with other routes.
3. The map is quite tight so good fights are expected.
4. I, on the other hand, like that that barrel has 2 colors. Something new I think.
5. The flag is position the way I havent seen a flag position before, and I think that you have done a good job. You can grab the flag and get away from flag room without being cornered by angry team of campers.

Suggestions:
Maybe make the guns @ spawn more equal. Sometimes you get a trracer, sometimes carbine. Either make all spawns have 'low' guns, and place some spyders/carbines to either side (not to base, but closer to mid). And some carbines/cocker to mid. Maybe replace the mags you have up there with cocker/carbine and add 1 carbine/cocker to mid.

Make the 'floor' in mid with some other texture. Like grass and something. Remove some boxes, just keep the plants, clip brush a bit, and you have a decent looking mid.

You could also be more creative with the cavern lighting. Jits made some nice torches for chef, when he made his anubis. You could use those to light some areas. Also, they are cavern, they dont need to be so bright as they are at the moment. And as the caverns are tight, then you dont have to worry about someone camping in dark areas. Having different lights also helps the teams to recon more easily. Instead of saying 2nd route from the light, you could say, he is coming from torch cavern, or something like that.

That brick staircase to high looks very unfit. You could come up with something better, I am sure :D.

Oh, and some spawns are facing the wall.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:39:14 AM »
Ty. I first drew this at the paper and started creating from there. I had the goal for keeping r speeds low and i succeed pretty well. They only turn yellow in few places (and thats because almost straight tunnel to middle...)

I liked your suggestions. That grass was nice, it would keep theme with those plants and the jail. Torches were nice too, i thought them myself but didn't come up with anything good.

EDIT: If you get trracer or stingray you're at mid close respawn. Other respawns at the base got med guns. And there are 2 or 3 autocockers in the middle (including side path one) and 1 or 2 automags.

EDIT2:Btw RiMiNi, theres a 2 colored plant box at the other side of the center room ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:01:46 AM by JeeJee »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:54:55 PM »
Recorded a demo and put the map up on the beta server, but then I realized this map has the same problem your other map does and uses the skm extension, so anybody who doesn't have the models errors out when downloading.

I also noticed that you must have "scripts/skplants1" in the required files, but you need the .txt extension.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »
Theres are some overlapping brushes at the higher levels. I would like to keep the barrels short and wide, because they can be jumped over

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
You can still scale the textures to fit, and I think making them less wide would look better, to (making them exactly half size would be the easiest).

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 05:20:35 AM »
Maybe you should make a jump from low mid area to high tunnel (your´s third screen) so you will be able to change a way.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »
Maybe you should make a jump from low mid area to high tunnel (your´s third screen) so you will be able to change a way.

Maybe i could make... But why wouldn't you just go from the tunnel below? It's not faster to do a jump, than go by stairs because you almost immediatly must drop to 2. level...

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »
I finally got enough eagerness into myself, so i decided to finish beta 2. So here it is:

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/forgotten_caverns_b2.bsp

I changed all the things (or almost) you pointed out. I put some more models and for all of you two colored object haters, i made the ladder, which aircrew told, two colored. I want to keep this map refreshing, because many maps that are palyed on pubs, are just few textures and almost none models (And we have so nice models from sk89q). I also took scrnshots:

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »
This map looks amazing! Great job JeeJee also like blaa said i like the look of the barrels how they change :D

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:57:50 PM »
Ty. One thing i would like to change is that i would like to put somekind of torches on some routes, but i really can't make anything decent myself. Got to think something tomorrow..

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 03:26:09 AM »
Hot map, and by the look of your posts it will get remarkably hotter ^.^

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 08:42:43 AM »
^^ Yea, i'll try to figure out some sexy torches and stuff today... I'll see if i have enough time. I'm not home next week, because i'm on holiday.

EDIT: The torches could be something like this (i just quickly made it). Say what you think about it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:07:12 AM by JeeJee »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »
Torches look good, just need to be centered and rotate the flame texture a little so it's on top of the torch with no gaps.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
Yea, it was just quickly made. I've made the torch better and i'll post pics tomorrow or maybe today if i don't go sleeping. Got to play 3 hours rinkball tomorrow :P. Better not to be tired.

EDIT: I forgot that i got the hallway with torches ready but not compiled so i fast vis rad compiled it and took some pics:

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
Hello!! Third beta is up, only some minor changes and those cool torches:

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/forgotten_caverns_b3.bsp

And some scrnshots of changes:

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »
Nice job JeeJee, looking good now.
Torches look pretty cool and make a good lighting effect for the map, good idea.

Keep up the hard work.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
Another way you could light up your caves is with a barrel holding a fire, kind of like the kind hobos use to warm up. lol
I've tried making one for one of my maps, and the effect is pretty nice.