Author Topic: Sound Issues (re: old sounds vs. new sounds)  (Read 29442 times)

AZTEC

• PGP
Re: Sound Issues (re: old sounds vs. new sounds)
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
lmao u can tell im new to this posting i posted this in a wrong discussion lol well here r my issues with new sounds  the reason im doing this is cuz i really want the old sounds well to b specific just the gun sounds the new ones u can barely hear them i use earphones and with the old sounds u can tell from what direction ppl is shooting at u so with these new ones u cant tell till ur dead lol and the walking sounds too they too low u cant tell wheter hes coming from ur left or ur right thats why i really want old sounds plz is there a way to get them back thank you.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 01:43:05 AM »
Was it ever put on the feature vote to have some kind of 'mixer' in the audio options menu to decide how loud a sound should be?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 05:43:43 AM »
Was it ever put on the feature vote to have some kind of 'mixer' in the audio options menu to decide how loud a sound should be?

No

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 08:21:11 AM »
lmao u can tell im new to this posting i posted this in a wrong discussion lol well here r my issues with new sounds  the reason im doing this is cuz i really want the old sounds well to b specific just the gun sounds the new ones u can barely hear them i use earphones and with the old sounds u can tell from what direction ppl is shooting at u so with these new ones u cant tell till ur dead lol and the walking sounds too they too low u cant tell wheter hes coming from ur left or ur right thats why i really want old sounds plz is there a way to get them back thank you.
Turn your volume up?

AZTEC

• PGP
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
believe me everything is loud enough but the shooting and walking wich is the most important sounds in game i really dont care how they sound as long as they loud enough and if i try to turn volume up other sounds hurt my ears lol so is there a way to use old sounds with new build?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
Fair enough - most of the sounds need to be made quieter.  The guns should really be the loudest sounds in the game, but I can't make them any louder without clipping.  I think I may put something in to reduce the volume of certain sounds by ~ 50% until they can be replaced with sounds that have an appropriate volume.

AZTEC

• PGP
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »
And can we have some kind of mixer feature vote for sounds? I know it's off-topic, but is it at all viable or is there a huge flaw I'm not seeing?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »
I've reduced the volume of the old sounds during resampling, and it sounds quite a bit better.  There's probably still plenty of tweaking to be done, but I think the results will be worth it in the end.

As for a mixer feature, it may be possible, but I would prefer to get constructive feedback on the sounds with each release, so they can be tweaked and polished and sound good without tinkering with audio settings.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 09:03:13 PM »
this still has to do with the old issue of clipped recordings. when they're clipped the dynamic range is compressed  = the rms goes way up. this means that two sounds identical excluding dynamic compression, played at the same volume level, will sound like one is louder than the other (then one with less dynamic range/one with compression/one with clipping). once the dynamic range is shrank, its gone. compression is easy and common, but they're are no good expansion algorithms out there.

another key point is what aztec, and most everyone else, have such a hard time expressing. that they're are a lot of minute cues within the dynamics of sound, which humans have come to rely on. probably the most important of these is spatial information.

lastly, the footsteps are most likely related to this dynamic compression also. when they're are two sounds at the same time with enough differing in their "loudness", the lesser one simply isn't heard. mp3's and other lossy encodings take full advantage of this (among other psychoacoustic effects) by eliminating the lesser volume sound entirely.

the solution: as I've said before, records sounds at a low enough level as to ensure no clipping. then normalize them all (individually) with software. after that, take a listen and use minor dynamic compression on those softer than the "loudest" one of the group to make them all sound similar in volume, while retaining as much dynamic level as possible.

one method of alleviating a lot of this postproduction work is to standardize your recording method find a distance and placement that has proper tonal characteristics (gas/noises vs. barrel resonance, etc) and stick with it through all the guns, especially the enviornment. the easiest way to contain all these variables is to setup the mic and gun on separate stands/mounts, position them, and simply switch out the guns throughout recording.

good luck.

pr0stylez

• PGP
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 01:46:01 AM »
Well, i dont have a huge problem, but i would like to know if there is anyway i could turn the sound of the chat and shots being fired up, cause i can hear everything else loud but those 2 things. cause ill be getting chased/shot at from behind, and wont know cause i cant hear it. would love some help :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »
Try build 27, and see if that's better: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=17124.0

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
The older sounds are better in my opinion cause , I have been using them since I started playing paintball 2 and also it just feels strange to play with new sounds. And I mean the sounds from build 16 if I remember right.

Dave

• VM-68
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »
its absolutely sure.. no1 can hear new sounds just delete them and take old for eine oldie puppe

GohanOneKnife

• Stingray
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 02:57:25 AM »
+1 for Dave i thinks jitspoe ruined the game seriously

Ps : Send me a mail if u wanna ruin his mom like he ruined the game .

Bence

Prettyboy010

• PGP
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »
Ik heb problemen met mijn geluid  ::)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »
Ik heb problemen met mijn geluid  ::)

nobody speak Dutch here buddy :)

PM me (I'm Dutch) or repeat your question in english, so anyone else around can help you :)

-edit-
whatever you decide to do, give us some more details. What problem do you have exactly?

{appy Hamper

• VM-68
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »
its absolutely sure.. no1 can hear new sounds just delete them and take old for eine oldie puppe

...yeah just take the sounds folder from b16 and replace the ones in your current build.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 03:01:02 PM »
Let's try this approach:

Name the sound you dislike the most in the current build (30, at the moment), and explain why.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
Ok, this one it too loud and overdriven:

pball/sound/start/start8.wav