Author Topic: Feature: Ingame maprating  (Read 6788 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Feature: Ingame maprating
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »
I saw this at TrackMania Nations Forever and i think it could be very interesting.

Modded for paintball: This maprating popup comes on a new map in the warmup mode (or the time before the map starts if disabled), when u capped three or more times on the last map. (one rating from each player).
Then we can have different versions of it. Which one is the best / easy to implement?
1: Save the ratings on the rated paintball server.
2: Version 1 + one place/file/database at the server for all running paintball server.
3: Save all ratings together on a central server. (Maybe store them somewhere and send them each 24 hours to to central server. So there isn't too much serverload all the time.)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Ingame maprating
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »
I like the idea, but how am I supposed to like the map before I even play it?  Maybe something under the scoreboard at the end of the map would be best.

Lapppy

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »
I like the idea, but how am I supposed to like the map before I even play it?  Maybe something under the scoreboard at the end of the map would be best.

Maybe you also have to be on the map for five minutes or more for the box to appear, because if you just logged in, and the game just ended, the box would come up and you probably wouldn't know what to put in!!

Also a option to turn it off would be nice.

FootCheese

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »
i agree with zorch on this one good idea though  ;D

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 06:03:14 AM »
I think Terror means that you rate the map you played last during the warmup of the next

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »
I think Terror means that you rate the map you played last during the warmup of the next
Yes, thats it. Sorry, if i wrote it a little bit complicated.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »
how about the server queries the client to see if they've finished that map at least 3 times, then sends the information to the GLS. Not sure what the GLS would do with it, though. Maybe it's just saved on the server. BUT, all servers will get the same information from the client.

example (try and follow - it's simpler than it looks):

player 1 connects to a map - pp1
it finishes (as they connected near the end)
-----no rating (didnt play in full)---
---client records that the player has played pp1 in full once---

next map - shazz33
it finishes
----no rating (they only played shz33 once) ---
----client records that the player has played shazz33 in full once---

next map - blah
disconnects
---no rating---
---client does not record playing the map---

connects to another server
next map - shazz33
map finishes
---no rating (only played twice)---
---client records that the map has been played twice---

next map - blah2
finishes
---no rating (only played once)---
---client records that blah2 has been played once---

next map - shazz33
finishes
---rating taken (played 3 times in full)---
---client records that the rating has been taken---

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »
how about the server queries the client to see if they've finished that map at least 3 times...
Who said something about play the map 3 times :P

Cap the flag (not middle flag) for 3 times should enable the rating. So u know the map or a good way to the flag and the way back, u have played it for a few minutes and the server must not save too much things (only loginid, mapname, rating). Maybe the time limit could be good. Then we have 3 caps and 10 minutes on the server.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 03:03:16 PM »

Cap the flag (not middle flag) for 3 times should enable the rating. So u know the map or a good way to the flag and the way back, u have played it for a few minutes and the server must not save too much things (only loginid, mapname, rating). Maybe the time limit could be good. Then we have 3 caps and 10 minutes on the server.
ah, yes, but the problem with that is that it might be that they've started up a local server and have just capped it 3 times while it's in the 'at least 2 teams needed' mode. Or not...
but playing it 3 times would be better because then they get a better idea of the map and how to play it properly. more about gameplay than caps. And what about maps with no flags?

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:45:55 AM »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »

That would preetty much eliminate any map played on speed servers as well as most seige maps. Not to mention Pong maps.

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 01:28:44 PM »
Yea i'm kinda against this because this would eliminate wayy to many maps that people don't like as knack said

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10194

Interesting idea.  I'm not sure what the best approach would be for implementing it, though.  If it's a global thing, there should probably be some restrictions on what server settings are before people can vote on maps.  Some maps, for example, play horribly on the speed server since they aren't designed for instant respawn, and may get bad ratings by all the speed server players, even though it's not really a problem with the map.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
Would a 5 star rating like youtube videos be what everyone is after?

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
Interesting idea.  I'm not sure what the best approach would be for implementing it, though.  If it's a global thing, there should probably be some restrictions on what server settings are before people can vote on maps.  Some maps, for example, play horribly on the speed server since they aren't designed for instant respawn, and may get bad ratings by all the speed server players, even though it's not really a problem with the map.

Votes could be separated by server in addition to an aggregate vote counter, and the aggregate one could show servers whose votes are skewed from a majority consensus (if a consensus exists).