Author Topic: Player exploiting tban command being accidentally left open on my server  (Read 6816 times)

Props

• PGP
Re: Player exploiting tban command being accidentally left open on my server
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
If you leave a pie alone under an open window and come back the person who took it is wrong, but you're an idiot for leaving the pie alone.

Pie is awesome....why...why would you ever not eat it? :|

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
Pie is awesome....why...why would you ever not eat it? :|

You can't have your cake and eat it..

Oh, wait, does that just apply to cake? Such a shame :(

We're only at stage one of analogies, usually there's one about murder by now.

Don't give someone an ax if you don't want them to cut your tree down, then again, they could very well be trying to find out if a tree makes a sound when it falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it (since you've labeled them a nobody, they have to make use of it somewhere!)

I think Knack pretty much covered everything by the way.

Lee

• Stingray
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 03:37:19 AM »
Since every one has a little story, here is mine.

A poor person drops some money. Do you be a bad citizen and exploit the poor person? OR Are you a good citizen and TELL the poor person about the money and give it back?

(no offence tartjagger :) We all know you are rich:D)

- Taking what isn't yours without permission is STEALING.

Although tartjagger made a mistake, it shouldn't have been exploited.

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »
I think someone should put a poll on this topic...

You had a player that found a security vulnerability and exploited it.  Your fault for not setting it up correctly.  His fault for exploiting it.

Pretty much agreed. Though the security vulnerability is more of a mistake. Exploiting errors isn't a mistake.

My story:
The government is responsible for a weapons surplus warehouse. For 10 minutes the warehouse isn't guarded because there was a mix up in guarding duty times. A civilian walks into the warehouse by accident. He finds no-one there and takes a few guns. He then gets angry at a few people and starts firing. Once he starts firing he doesn't stop.

Who's fault? Many people will blame the government and the guards. Yes. But the person?
No. It's just too hard to resist taking free equipment. As for the killing - maybe he had a mental condition...
It's everyone's fault, but are you going to blame everyone equally?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 08:16:49 AM »
These stories are horrible, and completely stupid. This is a game, some one had fun and tbanned a bunch of people because the server allowed it to happen. I would have done that, it's hilarious, plus the server owner would flip out. At lease Fuzz ball had the first murder story. DP is not real life kiddies, even though you'd all like to believe it is.

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »
These stories are horrible, and completely stupid.

Hence why they should be encouraged for entertainment value :D