Author Topic: Security Request: Profiles stored in a Different Location  (Read 6720 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Security Request: Profiles stored in a Different Location
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:15:10 AM »
I'm requesting that the .prf files are kept in a folder, eg in My Documents so that the user that is logged onto the machine can only access his/her profile.  This may prevent siblings using another ones account, therefore using 2 accounts, etc.  I came up with the idea because I got pissed off with my brother being the last person to use pball and me getting kicked from the servers :P.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Security Request: Profiles stored in a Different Location
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 05:24:35 AM »
You could actually take that a step further and have the config.cfg file stored in the same locations. More realistically it wouldbe c:\documents and settings\%username%\application data\digitalpaint\paintball\

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »
Uncheck auto-login?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:53:59 AM »
Still, if you have multiple pplayers playing on the same pc, aren't they all going to share the same config file, regardless of login?

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:55:43 AM »
Yeah they are (i don't know if this is the same but eh) when i had multi's i had different settings for it like on my account NavyseaL i had fov 120 sens 2 and on Oblique i had fov 140 sens 2 but when i played and wasn't caught with it i always would have to change the fov back to whatever fitted best for me.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »
Uncheck auto-login?
I prefer to just be able to join the server :P.  And I like KnacK's idea as well with the configs.  I didn't think about Application data, I forgot all about the stuff that goes in there.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:35:38 AM »
Forgot all about this, and its still quite annoying.  Would it be hard to actually make an folder in application data (or whatever it is in vista now) and put stuff for particular user accounts in there (config files, profiles, etc)?

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:29:51 AM »
If this is going to happen then there should be a box to activate it/deactivate it  because I wont be using this feature if implemented

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
If this is going to happen then there should be a box to activate it/deactivate it  because I wont be using this feature if implemented
Could you explain why you wouldn't want to use it?

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »
Because I really couldn't care less if my siblings went onto my profile

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Because I really couldn't care less if my siblings went onto my profile
It's not just for that reason.  It's if they use dfferent controls, eg use space bar for jump instead of right click, and have nade on right click where i have jump, so the config.cfg file would be moved there.  You wouldn't really notice if a profile got moved, you'd then be able to autojoin a server from serverbrowser without having to login everytime you join a server.

O btw, sibling aren't allowed to use your account, its called sharing if they have access to it :).

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 03:28:32 PM »
I have better reason for why one should be able to choose .cfg file(s) destination. Simply I have pb2 on different partition than system, I don't wish to lose my config if system crashes :)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
Ah very true justinph5. :P Well my siblings are 7 and 3 so i dont think they know anything about computers ;)

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 04:57:23 PM »
Ah very true justinph5. :P Well my siblings are 7 and 3 so i dont think they know anything about computers ;)
What? I never said anything in this thread yet :P

Anyways, I like this idea. In Vista and higher, it seems that if the pball folder is in Program Files, it only has permission to write files to %USER%/AppData///. Would it look to pull the info from the AppData the next time, or just use the config's from the Program Files? This could be an option to try if any of you have Vista or Wndows 7.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 01:35:33 PM »
Sorry justin, I got confused over you and Cameron - i have no idea how :d

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10266

The trick is, where do you read the setting that tells you which directory to read the settings from?

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »
I guess the installer could write a little .ini file to the installation directory that would take care of it.

You could go the route of many other programs and write to AppData by default, and then make a portable version that would keep its settings under the installation directory. The installer could even offer the option of which way to install it -- normal or portable -- like some other programs do.