Author Topic: [Feature] New Server-side Netcode Management  (Read 3705 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
[Feature] New Server-side Netcode Management
« on: March 13, 2009, 06:05:10 PM »
We need a new server-side netcode management. I posted it in the build 26 thread with some things from our serverlogs (link), but i think its better to make it standalone.

New Server-side Netcode Management
All messages are packetized regardless of the source, giving the server much greater power to inspect each message. "Overflowing" is now no longer possible as messages can be queued, and the "Netchan_Transmit: dumped unreliable / SZ_GetSpace: overflow" messages are also gone since the server can simply drop the individual messages than do not fit rather than dump the whole buffer. Combined with improved delta state management and quantization optimizations, R1Q2 servers should provide a much better gameplay experience for mods that have heavy activity. The server and client are also able to make use of zlib compression on large packets and frames that exceed the standard 1400 bytes packet size.

More: http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: [Feature] New Server-side Netcode Management
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:28:19 PM »
How much work would be needed to use this?  I'm sure it's not as simple as just copying over a DLL or two.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:27:10 AM »
Probably quite heavy modification of the sv_*.c files in the engine.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »
Are overflows still an issue?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »
"Overflowing" is now no longer possible as messages can be queued, and the "Netchan_Transmit: dumped unreliable / SZ_GetSpace: overflow" messages are also gone since the server can simply drop the individual messages than do not fit rather than dump the whole buffer.

Guess not.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »
I mean, are they currently still an issue with Paintball2?  Is there any incentive to even mess with this?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »
Not many admins have updated their servers, but the otb server logs are full of "Netchan_Transmit: dumped unreliable" and players have often a overflow and will be kicked from the server.

Maybe we make a downgrade to b23. There are not so much problems.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »
Well, the speed servers don't really count, in my opinion.  The game isn't designed for that.  You should probably drop the maxclients or increase the respawn times.  The networking hasn't changed between build 23 and 26, so that shouldn't make a difference.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:49:07 AM »
We have also other server...

I know, that u dont like the speed server, so i havn't made a feature vote to fix the problems with it. Please don't reduce OTB to these kind of server.

I mean the match server logs. They have maxclients 16 and elim 60, but they have it too. I don't know how it works. Maybe there are some vweap informations which causes it? Maybe too much?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »
Sorry, I just assumed that this was mainly just an issue with the speed server.  That's what the log came from, right?  I would be interested in seeing overflow logs from the match servers.  In any case, this isn't a bad feature request, but it's kind of like requesting a liposuction when you can go on a diet instead.  It can make the overflows go away, but if we're getting overflows, they should probably be fixed at the source.  This could potentially hide problems.

Anyway, here's the vote page for it:
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10196

Also kind of related:
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10179