Author Topic: READ THIS FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP  (Read 11014 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
READ THIS FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:27:56 PM »
Table of contents
1.  Search for your problem first.
2.  What to put in a message, and how to find information about your computer.
3.  When to start a new topic.

1.  Search for your problem first. (This is the link to search: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=search)  Try and use words like "bug" and "problem" when you search to help you find problems, instead of other entries.  Also try and flip through a few pages of the most recent problems, and see if you can't just find the answer, or post there.  Remember, it's better to post in an existing thread, then to start a new one.

2.  Post as much information as possible.  Things like, what OS you're using (example Windows, "XP", Ubuntu, etc.) is a good piece of information, but include hardware stuff too, such as your video card, internet service (Cable, DSL, dial-up, etc.).  It is better to say things like "I have a new computer" or "My PC is 4 years old" than to say nothing at all.  Also, post the build number of Paintball 2, the specific error message if you are getting one, and if possible, tell us everything you have tried so far to remedy the problem.

If you do not know what video card, or what kind of processor, or how much RAM(also known as memory) you have, follow these instructions:

For *nix users:
or Linux users (and possibly other unix based os's)

- To find out your ram:-

free -m

- to find out your CPU type and speed

cat /proc/cpuinfo

- to find out video card, try running this as root

lspci | grep -i vga

I would recommend a really good program to see all hardware info on Linux - plus it has various benchmarks - it called hardinfo

http://hardinfo.berlios.de/HomePage

(if you run ubuntu just type - sudo apt-get install hardinfo)

For Winblows users:

i.  Click "start" in the bottom left, then select "Run" from the menu that pops up.  Alternatively, you can hold the windows key and press r to bring up the dialog.

ii.  In the popup that comes up, type in "dxdiag" then hit "ok" or press enter.

iii.  On the window that should come up (it may take a minute or two), you should find all the information you need.  Your OS, processor, and amount of RAM should all be on the first screen.  To find what video card you have hit the "display" tab near the top middle of the screen, and find the device name. 

3.  After you've extensively searched, and found nothing relating to your problem, you can now post a new topic asking for help.  BUT, you need to add a VERY descriptive title.... "HELP!!!"  is NOT descriptive.  Topics like "Screen flickers" or "Can't start Paintball 2" are MUCH better.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:27:39 PM by KnacK »

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Read this before posting for help
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:23:14 PM »
Title needs more caps to get people's attention, maybe? Perhaps READ THIS FIRST: or something.

yossarianuk

• VM-68
Re: READ THIS FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
For Linux users (and possibly other unix based os's)

- To find out your ram:-

free -m

- to find out your CPU type and speed

cat /proc/cpuinfo

- to find out video card, try running this as root

lspci | grep -i vga

I would recommend a really good program to see all hardware info on Linux - plus it has various benchmarks - it called hardinfo

http://hardinfo.berlios.de/HomePage

(if you run ubuntu just type - sudo apt-get install hardinfo)