Author Topic: Linux - Xwindows Pointer Fail  (Read 3269 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Linux - Xwindows Pointer Fail
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »
Jitspoe -  Linux isn't crap maybe the distribution you are running is....

Almost every game that has a linux version is slightly faster on my setup (nvidia 8500)

There is a lot to be said for meta distro's (no verions just constant upgrades)
(also any linux user should check out ext4 - fsck is about 200%  faster... boot up is also quicker)

Most distro's no longer need xorg.conf to run (I always use one to tweak settings) try temporarily removing it (ie mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/conf-

Although paintball is my favourite game the linux client version does suck (random crashes are not cool..)

I can possibly help fix your  X issue - try posting/attaching your

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Personally I do not use ubuntu (its too slow)

I tried deleting the Xorg.conf flie, and it still doesn't work.

Here's my Xorg log file (I'm using Debian on a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop, fwiw):

yossarianuk

• VM-68
Re: Linux - Xwindows Pointer Fail
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:35:23 AM »
Hi dude .

Sorry not been logged in for a few days - it actually has been sunny in the uk for a change !

Just to confirm you have tried to restart X after moving the xorg.conf file ?

i.e - ctrl+alt+f1 - login as root then /etc/init.d/kdm restart (if kde)  /etc/init.d/gdm restart - if gnome .

Also are you using Debian Lenny (latest) ?

Its just on this log it does say its using /etc/X11/xorg.conf .

The actual error is

----------------------------------------
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
SynTouchPad no synaptics event device found (checked 14 nodes)
SynTouchPad The evdev kernel module seems to be missing
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
   No such device.
----------------------------------------

This could be caused by bad xorg.conf commands or missing packages .

1. Is this a standard kernel - i.e have you compiled your own  - i ask this because evdev could be missed out

2. Make sure evdev package is installed - i.e :-

apt-get update
apt-get --reinstall install udev hal dbus xserver-xorg-input-evdev  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

- also do a apt-get dist-upgrade for good measure ...

- then restart your machine (i,e reboot  not just restart X)

If still no joy :

(first backup any xorg conf as this command will write a new one)

dpkg-reconfigure  xserver-xorg

- then restart X
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:00:48 AM by yossarianuk »

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »
You also misght want to check out this thread

http://quail.southernvaleslug.org/debian_acer_aspire_5601AWLMi.html

- similar issue to yours (assuming your running debian Lenny) - try copying in the touchpad section in to your xorg.conf

If you still have no joy please attach your xorg.conf and the contents of dmesg

Also check

ls -la /dev/input/

ls -l /dev/input/event*

And paste

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 08:59:01 AM by yossarianuk »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »
When I installed it, it was Debian Sarge.  I've never really understood what those package versions mean, though.  Can't you just update everything anyway?  That config looks like what I had.  Originally I had it set to "/dev/psaux", but it said it couldn't open the device, so I googled around and tried setting it to other mouse devices, but none of them worked.  I completely rebooted after editing my xorg.conf file.  I guess I'll try the dist-upgrade.  I kind of want to wipe the whole thing and start over, but it took so long to get set up in the first place, with all of the weird hack programs to get the resolution supported, configuration editing, etc. - took like 3 weeks.  Such a pain.  You mentioned Ubuntu (which is basically debian, from my understanding) being slow.  What distro would you suggest?

Edit: Ugh.  I just tried apt-get update and now even that's not working.

W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.debian.org testing Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A70DAF536070D3A1
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
(WHICH I JUST DID!%#%$%#$%)
Why does Linux have to be so difficult?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 08:16:20 PM by jitspoe »

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:58:55 AM »
Hi Jitspoe,

It looks like somewhere along the line you have been using the Debian testing repo..

This could mean you now have a mix of stable/testing packages (this is often not good)

When using debian/ubuntu it is best the specify the name of distribution in the sources.list file rather than stable/unstable - i.e lenny.

As an attempt to fix your distro as it stands at the  moment you could try.. (this may not work due to using testing repo previously but as your system isn't working you have nothing to loose....)

remove any files in

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/

edit /etc/apt/sources.list and make it as below (without the lines)  backup original first

------------------------------------------------------------------
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates  contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates  contrib non-free
------------------------------------------------------------------

then try

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

- if it gives any errors post back.

(I have found Debian Lenny to be o.k - just install the kde3 dvd.)

If you are choosing a new distro Ubuntu is stable more designed for the desktop and more user friendly than Debian - it has a lot more hardware support - however I find it uses more memory than most distros (including debian) - the amd64 version  seems better -If you do choose Ubuntu and still want kde3 see - https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty - I would say that gnome is now more usable than it used to be.

KDE4 is fine now I would say (at least when you turn off the 3d desktop excrement)

If you do not care about not being able to upgrade to the next version and want a user friendly distro I would recommend Mandriva - they have just released a new version .

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

- the link is the mandriva one version (has non oss stuff on too)
- This distro has a complete control panel - i.e not loads of different apps just one tool which is good - it also supports a lot of hardware.

Opensuse is a nice looking Desktop system but their package manager is complete FAIL.

Remember you can easily check one out to test it more have a live cd mode so you can test your hardware works before installing.

Personally I use Arch linux (as well as others - i normally have about 3 distros installed so I can see which plays paintball the best )  purely as this has no versions just constant stable upgrades (you pretty much always have the latest stuff on the day it is released ie KDE4.x ...)
Arch is also very fast and very non bloated - it is however not newbie friendly at all and will require tinkering to start with

If you have any questions about any distros I have mentioned (I also use gentoo sometimes...) feel free to message me / post back I don't login everyday but am happy to help anything that will help the linux client.)

- if you choose mandriva / ubuntu then make sure you use EXT4 when you partition - it is not the default in Ubuntu but you can select it when partitioning (not sure if it default fs in mandiva)

- Also if you do choose a new distro let me know which one you have picked - I will possibly know I few tips to possibly make your life easier (i.e codecs,etc..)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:32:38 AM by yossarianuk »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:59 AM »
- if you choose mandriva / ubuntu then make sure you use EXT4 when you partition - it is not the default in Ubuntu but you can select it when partitioning (not sure if it default fs in mandiva)

Quick question on this.  Is it possible to convert your file system to EXT4 from EXT3 like you could convert from FAT32 to NTFS in Windows?  I don't think you can, but figured I'd ask anyway.

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:02:42 AM »
Hi Zorchenhimer.

Yes it is possible to upgrade ext3 -> ext4 - like you can go from ext2 -> ext3.

You have to have kernel that supports it - 2.6.28 + (for stable ext4) and a recent version of e2fsprogs (1.41.1 +)

Theres a guide - http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto
(  Converting an ext3 filesystem to ext4 section)

Heres another guide written for the buntu's

http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-upgrade-from-ext3-to-ext4-without-formatting-the-hard-disk/2009/04/21

You should note that if you convert a ext3 to ext4 you will not gain all the advantages - i.e you need to format a new partition in order to fully get all ext4 advantages.

If you do try to migrate your ext3 root partition I suggest you find a ext4 compatible livecd in case you cannot boot ....

A really good one is http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

- It has gparted which is essentially a oss partition magic clone (you can resize winblos partitions also)

(you can fix windows installs too..)

- If you are running 64bit linux - just type rescue64 on boot prompt...

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:59:06 AM by yossarianuk »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »
Schweetness.  Thanks.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:04:13 AM »
Well, I did what I should have done a long time ago.  I wiped my Debian Linux partition and installed Ubuntu.  It was about 5 billion times easier to install.  Took about 30 minutes instead of 5 days, and I didn't have to hack video drivers to support my resolution, compile network drivers, or any of that crap.  It even supported my wireless network drivers out of the box (though it does keep disconnecting for no apparent reason), which I never bothered to get working on Debian.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
Hahaha, 'bout time.  :P