Author Topic: Port Forwarding Guide (using www.portforward.com) Updated July 2013  (Read 38140 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Port Forwarding Guide (using www.portforward.com)
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
You might have to press the reset button on the router to get it to reset back to the default password.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Port Forwarding Guide (using www.portforward.com)
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 02:25:11 AM »
You might have to press the reset button on the router to get it to reset back to the default password.

Be careful if you attempt this, it will erase ALL of the current settings on the router.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Port Forwarding Guide (using www.portforward.com) Updated July 2013
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
Pictures weren't working so I redid the guide.  Updated first post.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 12:24:56 AM »
My ipv4 adress doesn't say the ones you listed on the guide, what should I do? (It's 25.13.197.179)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 02:38:15 AM »
Guessing you aren't reading the right one.  Should fall in one of these ranges for a private network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv4_address_spaces

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
Even if I wasn't reading the right one, the ip addresses in the cmd didn't show anything like the ones shown on the guide.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »
My ipv4 adress doesn't say the ones you listed on the guide, what should I do? (It's 25.13.197.179)

This means your router (if you have one) isn't doing any NAT.  Are you the only computer on the network?

You probably don't even have to worry about port forwarding since your computer has been is assigned your public (external) IP address.

Here is a short explanation:

When you connect your modem to the internet it requests a public IP address from your ISPs servers.  The server replies and leases your modem a public IP address.
Multiple computers can't be assigned the same IP address without causing problems, that is where routers come in.

Routers will assign your computer a private IP address.  The three private ip address ranges are: 10.X.X.X, 172.16.X.X, and 192.168.X.X.  These addresses can never be "used on the internet".  Your router does something called NAT (network address translation).  I will use requesting a web page as an example.

If you request a web page from your computer (going to www.google.com in a web browser) your computer sends the request using the private IP address, when it gets to your router NAT is used to basically switch to your public IP address to make the request.  Google receives the request and sends the requested information back to your router using your public IP address.  The router then uses NAT again to forward the information back to your computer using the private address.

Think of it like an office telephone number and extensions.  Your office telephone number is your Public address.  Anyone can pick up a phone and call the office and the secretary/phone system (router) will answer.  The secretary/phone system will then forward the request to your extension (private IP address) so you get the phone call.  Only people in your office (network) can call you by dialing your extension.  Anyone outside the office (network) has to dial your phone number.

NAT was created because the world was running out of IPV4 addresses.  Before it existed each device that connected to the internet needed a public IP address.  And like I said before, no two devices can have the same public IP address.  With NAT many computers can effectively use the same public IP address.  

You may have heard of IPV6.  This is the next version of IP addresses.  They aren't 4 octets anymore, they are much longer.  Which means that there are MANY MANY more possible addresses.  In total there are only 4,294,967,296 IPV4 addresses.  Which seems like a lot, but now that more of the world is connecting to the internet that number is actually VERY low.  With the new protocol IPV6 there are a possible 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses.  Not all of which are allocated to be public.... but we won't be running out of them any time soon.  Not many people on our side of the world use IPV6 yet, but eventually I think everyone will.

If you really want to learn about this stuff:   Let me Google that for you!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:54:13 AM by SuperMAn »

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »
(1) Are you the only computer on the network?

You probably don't even have to worry about port forwarding since your computer has been is assigned your public (external) IP address.

Here is a short explanation:

When you connect your modem to the internet it requests a public IP address from your ISPs servers.  The server replies and leases your modem a public IP address.
Multiple computers can't be assigned the same IP address without causing problems, that is where routers come in.

Routers will assign your computer a private IP address.  The three private ip address ranges are: 10.X.X.X, 172.16.X.X, and 192.168.X.X.  These addresses can never be "used on the internet".  Your router does something called NAT (network address translation).  I will use requesting a web page as an example.

If you request a web page from your computer (going to www.google.com in a web browser) your computer sends the request using the private IP address, when it gets to your router NAT is used to basically switch to your public IP address to make the request.  Google receives the request and sends the requested information back to your router using your public IP address.  The router then uses NAT again to forward the information back to your computer using the private address.

(2) Think of it like an office telephone number and extensions.  Your office telephone number is your Public address.  Anyone can pick up a phone and call the office and the secretary/phone system (router) will answer.  The secretary/phone system will then forward the request to your extension (private IP address) so you get the phone call.  Only people in your office (network) can call you by dialing your extension.  Anyone outside the office (network) has to dial your phone number.

NAT was created because the world was running out of IPV4 addresses.  Before it existed each device that connected to the internet needed a public IP address.  And like I said before, no two devices can have the same public IP address.  With NAT many computers can effectively use the same public IP address. 

You may have heard of IPV6.  This is the next version of IP addresses.  They aren't 4 octets anymore, they are much longer.  Which means that there are MANY MANY more possible addresses.  In total there are only 4,294,967,296 IPV4 addresses.  Which seems like a lot, but now that more of the world is connecting to the internet that number is actually VERY low.  With the new protocol IPV6 there are a possible (3) 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses.  Not all of which are allocated to be public.... but we won't be running out of them any time soon.

If you really want to learn about this stuff:  Let me Google that for you!
1. No, I am not the only computer on the network (still a kid, hehe)
2. It kinda comes simpler to me now that I think of it that way
3. Wow. That's a lot of ipv6 addresses.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »
1. No, I am not the only computer on the network (still a kid, hehe)
2. It kinda comes simpler to me now that I think of it that way
3. Wow. That's a lot of ipv6 addresses.

Not entirely sure why your computer would get the public address then, could be a lot of different things.  If your server is working I suppose it doesn't matter.

Yeah.. in this age they should probably teach people the basics of how the internet works in grade school.  Would save us IT guys a lot of grief.

Yes it is a lot... 340 undecillion.  Technically that is how many there are, but only 42 undecillion will be usable as IPV6 addresses.  The engineers who designed it didn't want to run out again any time soon.

Source:  http://rednectar.net/2012/05/24/just-how-many-ipv6-addresses-are-there-really/

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
I've done EVERYTHING in the port forwarding guide, just need to find out the login passcode thing. I asked my dad about the password, and he said he doesn't know. Fortunately, it's on something somewhere in my house... real descriptive dad lol. Boy this is gonna be hard to find. Anyway, thanks for the guide! It really helped me! :D

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
Find router model, google its default login details, see if it works.  Chances are if he doesn't know, it never got changed in the first place.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 06:16:06 AM »
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1739702
you can do the same thing basically for this. just change the port numbers you put it to 27910 or w.e.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1739702
you can do the same thing basically for this. just change the port numbers you put it to 27910 or w.e.

No.. this will most likely only work on that specific router/modem.  You will just confuse people by telling them these things.

Just follow the guide people.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
I gave this port-forwarding thing another go and after successfully following the instructions, I think I just forwarded my first port and port-forwarded my server. But the website told me to download PFPortChecker to check if I forwarded my port correctly. I tried it twice, using the information I got from my computer, and I got it right.

The first time I did it the answer was that a ping couldn't be sent to my router nor was my port forwarded correctly.

I got worried, so I waited a minute and tried it again. The second time I did it the answer was that a ping couldn't be sent to my router but my port was forwarded correctly. And all the times after that which I tried the PFPortChecker it said the same answer as when I checked the second time.

I thought this was a problem because it didn't show a solution on the website about this, only if both worked or if both failed. So what I'm trying to say is... is there anything wrong with my second result?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »
I gave this port-forwarding thing another go and after successfully following the instructions, I think I just forwarded my first port and port-forwarded my server. But the website told me to download PFPortChecker to check if I forwarded my port correctly. I tried it twice, using the information I got from my computer, and I got it right.

The first time I did it the answer was that a ping couldn't be sent to my router nor was my port forwarded correctly.

I got worried, so I waited a minute and tried it again. The second time I did it the answer was that a ping couldn't be sent to my router but my port was forwarded correctly. And all the times after that which I tried the PFPortChecker it said the same answer as when I checked the second time.

I thought this was a problem because it didn't show a solution on the website about this, only if both worked or if both failed. So what I'm trying to say is... is there anything wrong with my second result?

Don't bother with their port checker tool.  Does your server show up on the server list?  If the answer is yes, your port forwarding was done correctly.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »
Deleted that. Yes it does, but it still acts like the same server; I have the same ping <3 and everyone else still lags occasionally.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
Deleted that. Yes it does, but it still acts like the same server; I have the same ping <3 and everyone else still lags occasionally.
Probably because your net cant run the server well.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
That's a sad possibility :(

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2013, 09:03:28 AM »
For me my server shows up twice on the serverlist. That's how I know it is visible to everyone. Is there anything unusual about this?

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2013, 10:07:51 AM »
Mine shows up once. To me, yours does too. Did you try making a server once using the "Start Game" button?