Author Topic: Updater Screen.  (Read 7992 times)

battle

• PGP
Updater Screen.
« on: July 02, 2009, 03:44:37 AM »
This is just an idea that I came up with while I was trying to sleeping that would help Jits get more money and also help people keep up to date with paintball. It would be a Updater Screen where Jits could but Ad's and also upcoming Tournaments and other events. On this screen Jits could even put what some of the new updates for paintball are. I just think this would help the development of paintball and give a little back to Jits. I have no clue how you would make this, but hopefully someone here will know a little about how to. Remember this was just an idea don't get mad at me if you don't like it. ;) And sorry if this has already been talked about. If you want to know anymore about this post here and I will or maybe someone else can help you with your answer. I'll try to add to this tomorrow if i'm put to it. And sorry the picture I made was on paint so it's very bad quality. xD

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
Re: Updater Screen.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 03:21:30 AM »
it would require the program to automatically update itself to the latest build automatically - which I like! :D Keeps on top of hackers, etc. Now to get rid of backwards compatability...

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »
If implied I think it should come with an off switch, maybe other people don’t like it to automatically update itself or stuff like that, think it should be optional.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
If implied I think it should come with an off switch, maybe other people don’t like it to automatically update itself or stuff like that, think it should be optional.

Give one reason other than hacks that people would not want paintball to autoupdate.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:52:08 PM »
Really it should be left the user if he or she would want the game to auto update. That’s all I can say.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
THis plus removing backward compatability would clean this game up VERY fast.

sean123

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
i like it

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »
Clever idea. Hope it gets implemented. +1

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:03:38 AM »
Give one reason other than hacks that people would not want paintball to autoupdate.

Custom menus get overwritten.  That's actually happened to me a few times, minus the "auto" part of the update.

Maybe something like "A new release is out, update now? [yes] [no]"

paintwaster

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 08:17:42 AM »
Custom menus get overwritten.  That's actually happened to me a few times, minus the "auto" part of the update.

Maybe something like "A new release is out, update now? [yes] [no]"
i like this whole idea i hope it gets approved :D

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 08:29:05 AM »
I will say yes if this gets implied with a yes or no options so it still give the user the option to update or not, I think Zorchenhimer addition if better than the first idea, + 1 to Zorchenhimer.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »
THere is absolutely NO reason to run an older version unless you have something "modified".

This should be just like CS: Once a new build comes out, you get notified to update.  If you don't update, you don't play.

Simple as that.

Period.

This should have been implemented YEARS ago.
* KnacK glares @ Nathan....

MissingNo.

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 01:01:40 PM »

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 02:53:43 PM »
THere is absolutely NO reason to run an older version unless you have something "modified".

This should be just like CS: Once a new build comes out, you get notified to update.  If you don't update, you don't play.

Simple as that.

Period.

I was going to say that but figured you would eventually, if there should be an option like Zorch suggested i would only make it for Beta builds that are on the forums but not on the main download page.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »
Sorry Knack, I,m still goin to have to disagree with you. - Knack, - Skitzo

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 04:51:48 PM »
offt, using his name there for some added effect there knack. man i hate english.

I guess for now we just have to live with admins having minclientbuild on the latest version only....  This and byebye backwards compatability would be great :).

UDead, you realize that bringing out a new version MAY block particular hacks or stop people using them in some way or kind, and if they don't update, then it doesn't get implemented on their computer.  It should update like windows for some reason automatically runs important updates while your not near the computer, restarting it and loosing valuable work, except you wont loose anything, you just have to update before you play.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »
I'm not against the auto update, but I think there should be a notification, I have modified menus and I don’t want them to be override. If you can get it to where I can disable it from updating any modified contact I or anyone may have other than the pball game itself by like a checklist option. I don’t care if it updates my texture, maps scripts or that stuff but not things I might have modified like my config files, and my menus.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »
Updates install over the menus?  I've got Zorch's menus, had em thru a few updates and they have never changed.  It shouldn't overwrite configs on the update, it might add little minor things, but it won't wreck anything you currently have.  Have you actually updated before?

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »
I think an auto update for the new builds would be awsome, it would clean up the hackers like you say, and would be a help to those who are lazy to go download it :P

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 10:45:45 PM »
Updates install over the menus?  I've got Zorch's menus, had em thru a few updates and they have never changed.  It shouldn't overwrite configs on the update, it might add little minor things, but it won't wreck anything you currently have.  Have you actually updated before?

It's usually just a menu or two, but it's always screwed me over.  :P