Author Topic: Commands to Improve your FPS!  (Read 5741 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
Commands to Improve your FPS!
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:44:40 PM »
PLEASE STICKY THIS

all of these should improve your framerate:
seta gl_finish "0"
seta gl_anisotropy "1"
seta r_caustics "0"
seta r_reflectivewater "0"
seta gl_dynamic "0"
seta gl_stainmaps "0"
seta s_mixahead "0.2"
seta gl_highres_textures "0"
seta gl_picmip "1"
seta gl_skymip "1"
seta gender "spacepirate"

these should help your network connection (a lot of them are defaults)

seta cl_minfps "0"
seta cl_maxfps "0"
seta cl_locknetfps "0"
seta cl_cmdrate "60"
seta rate "10000"

and these might make the game *seem* to run a little faster

seta m_filter "0"
( if it's set to "1", it takes the average of every 2 updates that your mouse makes -- useful for making your mouse/aiming seem more smooth, but you might notice a delay in your mouse movements )

seta scr_conspeed "99999"
makes the console come up and go away quicker

This was from an original post made by Herron. I spent about an hour searching for these commands, finally found them, and I thought I'd share these with you.

STICKY PLZ

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Commands to Improve your FPS!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »
all of these should improve your framerate:

LOL ?

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:33:58 PM »
Yeah, I think someone else said that in the other thread too. Lemme check

Here it is:-

seta gender "spacepirate
Laughed at that.

But yeah, I had the same problem reaver, like 2 years ago until i did the stainmaps  and it helped out a lot.

Also if you are using Ventrilo or Teamspeak when playing this could cause you to lag sometimes and freeze up.  Yeah voice recon is really nice for matching but try not using it during a match and see what it does for you, may help and it may not, never know. :)

lol, I missed the spacepirate setting until Bling pointed it out.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
Now since you posted these, why don't you go back and define what each settings does?

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
seta
* Using "seta" instead of "set" automatically adds the line to your autoexec.cfg file, so you don't have to "set" the command every time you enter the game (or have to exec a separate config every time you enter the game)

gl_finish "0"
* I'm a little unsure on this one, but I believe it makes it so that even if your current frame is not finished rendering it will stop the current rendering and start rendering the next frame if it's time for that next one to start being drawn.  It seems to give some fps benefit to slower systems and video cards.

gl_anisotropy "1"
* This affects how blurry angled surfaces in the distance appear (Range is from 0, which is the lowest quality, to 16(?), which is the highest quality)

r_caustics "0"
* Turns off the shimmering light that appears in the water, even when you have reflective water turned off.

r_reflectivewater "0"
* Turns off reflective water.

gl_dynamic "0"
* Turns off dynamic lighting.

gl_stainmaps "0"
* Turns off the "stain" you see on walls that have been shot (note that you still see the splatters, it's just that when the splatters fade the wall is no longer tinged the paintball's color)

s_mixahead "0.2"
* 0.2 is the default, but if you have a good soundcard you can use a lower setting.  I think it reduces the time that sound files are stored in memory after being mixed by the game prior to playing them.  I use 0.06, but starting at 0.2 and fine tuning down in steps of 0.01 will be the best way to determine which setting you should use.  To test, I recommend getting an automag and firing at a wall.  If you don't hear any stuttering or popping, reduce your s_mixahead by another .01 and try again.  Once you start to hear the sound screwing up, increase your s_mixahead by .02 just to be safe and start using that while playing.  For example, if I start to notice my sounds becoming jagged or not playing at all when I have it set to 0.12, I'd increase it to 0.14 and then play with that.

gl_highres_textures "0"
* Turns off high-res textures.

gl_picmip "1"
* Degrades the quality of all textures.  Range is 0-2 (0 is full quality, 2 is most degraded)

gl_skymip "1"
* Degrades the quality of the sky.  Range is 0-3 (0 is full quality, 3 is most degraded)

gender "spacepirate"
* Back in qwpb there used to be a command ("userinfo") where you could look up player info in-game and it would display their name, network settings, and gender.  No one ever messed with a spacepirate.

cl_minfps "0"
* Don't set a minimum fps.

cl_maxfps "0"
* Sets the maximum number of frames per second the game will attempt to draw.  Setting it to 0 eliminates fps capping (although there is a hard cap of 1000 fps).  If you have problems adapting to changing fps when you go from an empty room into a heavy firefight, you may want to reduce this to whatever your average fps usually is so that you can play with a more consistent fps.  I don't believe this has an affect on network ping anymore since jitspoe introduced a pps cap of 100.

cl_locknetfps "0"
* I think this has something to do with sending key presses/releases to the server, but I really have no idea.  I just put it in here to be fancy.

cl_cmdrate "60"
* Ideally you want this to be as close to possible as your actual fps.  So if you average 40 fps, try setting it to 40.  If you average higher than that, try setting it to its max (80).  I set it at 60 because some people still use vsync, and I think the majority of monitors still refresh @ 60 hz (which is what the fps cap would be if you use vsync).

rate "10000"
* How much bandwidth you're allotting the game to use when the server sends you info.  If you have a good connection, put it on 30000.  Most servers have caps at or below this value though, so you really only set it this high to take advantage of the highest value the server you're playing on allows.

These might make the game *seem* to run a little faster (but they don't).

seta m_filter "0"
* If it's set to "1", it takes the average of every 2 updates that your mouse makes -- useful for making your mouse/aiming seem more smooth, but you might notice a delay in your mouse movements.

* Makes the console come up and go away quicker

You can just copy/paste the following into your config if you want.

Code: [Select]
seta gl_finish "0"
seta gl_anisotropy "1"
seta r_caustics "0"
seta r_reflectivewater "0"
seta gl_dynamic "0"
seta gl_stainmaps "0"
seta s_mixahead "0.2"
seta gl_highres_textures "0"
seta gl_picmip "1"
seta gl_skymip "1"
seta cl_minfps "0"
seta cl_maxfps "0"
seta cl_locknetfps "0"
seta cl_cmdrate "60"
seta rate "10000"
seta m_filter "0"

Feel free to correct any typos or misinformation.