Author Topic: Web Hosting with PHP5, Databases, etc... ?  (Read 2572 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
Web Hosting with PHP5, Databases, etc... ?
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:05:53 AM »
I need a free webhost (for now, will expand into a decent paid host later) but it needs PHP5, Databases, FTP Accounts, etc.
I'm trying to setup "elgg" for a friend of mine, i've tried all of the so called "decent" hosts, but nothing.
Eveytime I upload a .htaccess file to the root of the installation, it says that I cant.
So the host also needs a way for me to upload a .htaccess file.

So, basically.
I need these:
Database (With user, name and host)
PHP5
.htaccess
Apache2? (Or something like that)
Free subdomain

And yes.. I've Googled. I've googled so much in fact, that I've tried 12 hosts, and all suck.

Thanks!

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Web Hosting with PHP5, Databases, etc... ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:07:12 AM »
If you are trying to get all that for free, you must be mad.  All of those 'free' hosts are very controlling with what can go on their servers.

Just go get a simple, cheap, hosting account.  You can get 12 months of an "Economy" plan over at GoDaddy for a grand total of about $60 (includes 10 MySQL databases, 10 Gigs storage, and 300 Gigs transfer).

http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971 (click on "plan details")

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:41:49 AM »
http://www.lunarpages.co.uk/starter-hosting/

EDIT: If you go for the above please use my affiliate link :P http://www.lunarpages.com/id/amorvicom
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:15:42 AM by lekky »

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »
Thanks Zorch and Lekky, they look awesome. I'll check 'em out later.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »
If you are trying to get all that for free, you must be mad.  All of those 'free' hosts are very controlling with what can go on their servers.

Just go get a simple, cheap, hosting account.  You can get 12 months of an "Economy" plan over at GoDaddy for a grand total of about $60 (includes 10 MySQL databases, 10 Gigs storage, and 300 Gigs transfer).

http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971 (click on "plan details")

GoDaddy also has the elgg app to automatically load it onto your site from their control center. It's not too bad, I've played around with elgg before, it's nice, but also a pain to change anything. All customization and theming must happen in php, and then proper loading of the php into elgg.

I stopped working on it cuz I didn't wanna pay for a new domain name and larger hosting, since it was starting to bog down :P

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:52:19 AM »
Yeah but don't get GoDaddy if you're in the UK...

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:38:29 AM »
U have an own vserver, why do u don't want use it?

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »
I can use my VPS for webhosting? Really?!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:46:51 AM »
I can use my VPS for webhosting? Really?!

Um, yeah - that's how I did the "insignia" page to start with, before I switched it to my server and used a redirect. You should be able to find the folder to put stuff in, it's in /var/www/ I think. You'll have to install PHP, MySQL and an FTP server yourself though, google some guides :)

And insignia.game-host.org will work if you do that. :)