Author Topic: Community-Driven Server Settings  (Read 4754 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Community-Driven Server Settings
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
I'm tossing the idea around of a community driven server.  In short, there would be a site where you'd vote on the map rotation and various settings.  The server would be updated maybe once a week or so with whatever has the most votes.

Thoughts?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Community-Driven Server Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »
That would be something new. Why not.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:53:07 AM »
And the serveradmin has an option to enable that.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:56 PM »
i like the idea

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 12:06:28 AM »
Exploring zimstern's comment, how about a linking community-driven server?  Any server admins can link/unlink their server to the website, and the votes get ranked into different servers. Like all the top choices get put into server #1. All the second tier choices get grouped into server #2, etc.

I know it won't happen at the start, just something to think about whenever you wanna expand :P

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:20:37 AM »
Exploring zimstern's comment, how about a linking community-driven server?  Any server admins can link/unlink their server to the website, and the votes get ranked into different servers. Like all the top choices get put into server #1. All the second tier choices get grouped into server #2, etc.

I know it won't happen at the start, just something to think about whenever you wanna expand :P

+1. We have various server locations around the world, so it could definitely work.

shep

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:23:15 AM »
aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi !!!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »

I suppose I could make the config file available for other servers that some kind of script could access and load, but I wouldn't be able to easily have it edit rotation files and whatnot on the servers themselves.  In my case, the web interface and game servers would be running on the same machine, so it would be easy.

dp4lyfe

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:55:40 PM »
Will it be. A american server?

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 01:45:42 PM »
I like this idea very much. However it could blow up if all the people voting are voting what may be 'good' maps, but terrible for pub play. A good example would be pforest. Wonderful map, but it doesn't play outstandingly in pubs, it might be fun, but there are definitely better pub maps.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »
it might be fun, but there are definitely better pub maps.

Well, point of playing a game is for the fun right? +1 to the idea though

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 12:00:56 AM »
this is a great idea, except that the masses are asses. but its still a great idea.