Author Topic: What Can Get A Player Banned?  (Read 6801 times)

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
Re: What Can Get A Player Banned?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
(1) I don't really see what benefit there is to providing the community with a list of known cheats.

(2) As for modified content vs. cheats, if you modify your content in such a way that you can identify players through walls, how is that different from using a cheat program to do it?  Either way, it provides an unfair advantage, and is cheating.
1. Right, so they don't see how little you can detect.
2. I think what people care here about is: Did someone got banned because he modified his textures to baby-blue, white etc or he did used something like wh,speedhack etc. Because still a lot of people don't agree with your response on changed textures.

Actually, it's more to stop the "lol, I have to go away to school next week, so I can't play anyway, I'm just going to cheat - it's only 32 days" mentality.  The 32 day bans were not enough of a disincentive to using cheats.  Once I started hitting people with 1024 day bans, the rate of cheating dropped a lot.
I assure you, you would actually reduce cheater percentage more if you first said that this have changed out loud. You did it just because you are tired of banning cheaters. And while percentage of cheaters reduced, more people that would like to play got hit, and fact is we have lack of good players that could contribute to match scene.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »
Actually, it's more to stop the "lol, I have to go away to school next week, so I can't play anyway, I'm just going to cheat - it's only 32 days" mentality.  The 32 day bans were not enough of a disincentive to using cheats.  Once I started hitting people with 1024 day bans, the rate of cheating dropped a lot.

If you looked at percentage of cheaters in comparison to percentage of active players --> would it still be a noticeable drop in the rate of cheating? Feels like there aren't even demo requests anymore, and I'm assuming it's more due to lack of player base than anything.

Also: I'm not looking for cheat names, but to me there's a difference between "Wallhacks and Textures" - since recently a lot of warnings have been given out about textures that are subjective (ie Sunman's no longer being legal). I understand giving the NAME of the cheat is stupid. But after 'x' amount of time, if the person hasnt come clean(or once they have), it should be changed from: Cheat/Mod Detected: Name -- to: Modified Textures: Name / Modified Models: Name / Wallhack: Name --- It's not a necessity, but just like the feature request of putting previous bans on players profiles - if this game ever picks up activity competitively I'm sure people would like to know what their teammates used before recruiting.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 03:03:22 PM »
I understand giving the NAME of the cheat is stupid. But after 'x' amount of time, if the person hasnt come clean(or once they have), it should be changed from: Cheat/Mod Detected: Name -- to: Modified Textures: Name / Modified Models: Name / Wallhack: Name --- It's not a necessity, but just like the feature request of putting previous bans on players profiles - if this game ever picks up activity competitively I'm sure people would like to know what their teammates used before recruiting.
I said this earlier. If the person doesn't respond in a given amount of time, they most likely don't care. So this should be implemented sometime.

Anyways, I can lock this thread if no one really sees a use to it. Just wanted to hear your opinions on the topic.