Author Topic: How newbies can integrate into the clan community  (Read 51072 times)

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
How newbies can integrate into the clan community
« on: April 11, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »
This thread is meant to give newbies a somewhat systematic guide on how to become a functioning part of the clan community. It will assist the newbie in joining previously existing clans, and creating his or her own clan.

I will now explicate a list of criteria the newbie should keep in mind when wanting to become part of the clan community. This list is arranged in order of importance.

1.) Achieving a high score in a public server does not make you good at Digital Paint: Paintball 2, nor does it provide a clan with sufficient reason to recruit you.
   This is because 99.9% of the time, match play does not reflect public play.

2.) Connecting to, and idling on mIRC. mIRC, is the chat program where the Digital Paint: Paintball 2 clan community is based. You typically want an older version of mIRC that doesn’t have a registration period. You can download mIRC 6.0 here:

http://www.mircscripts.com/cgi-bin/oldmirc.cgi?mirc60.exe

Install this executable to whatever drive you like. When you open mIRC, a ‘mIRC options’ windows should pop up Click the ‘add’ button.

In the description field type ‘DP2’ (or whatever you like). In the IRC server field, type “irc.gg-center.net.” Make sure in the ports field, the number is 6667. Now click add.

Next, go to the left hand box in the mIRC options window with a bunch of words with plus signs next to them. Click the plus sign on each word, this should expand what’s contained under the word.

A) Under ‘connect’ click options. Check the box that says ‘reconnect on disconnection.’

B) Click the word that says IRC (now with a minus sign next to it). Check the boxes that say ‘Rejoin channel when kicked,’ ‘Rejoin channels on disconnect,’ and ‘keep channels open.’ There are many other options to be toyed with under the IRC section, but these are the three that are really essential.

C) Under the word that says ‘Display’ click the word that says ‘Tray.’ Click the check box that says ‘Place mIRC in tray when minimized.’ This is important so the mommies and daddies of all you 12 year olds don’t see the naughty things we say on mIRC.

You are now done configuring mIRC options. Click back on connect and press ‘Connect to IRC server.’ A bunch of words should scroll down your ‘status window.’ When they stop, you are connected. It looks something like this:

Here are some basic commands within mIRC to get you situated.

A) Once connected, the /join or /j command allows you to join a channel. Type /j paintball or /j #paintball, whichever you prefer (#paintball is the main Digital Paint: Paintball 2 channel).

On the right hand side, you will see a list of all the people within that channel. Hopefully you recognize some names. The main window is the window in which people enter text to communicate. The best way to find clan channels is by seeing what channels other people in #paintball idle in. To do this type /whois nameofpersonhere. For example a newbie could type /whois DirtyTaco and see the channels I idle in:

These channels will display in your status window like so:

You can see the list of channels I'm in on the second line. /whois a lot of people, find channels of clans you’ve seen in public games and idle in them. (you can also double click on #channels without having to type /j and join them).

B) The /me command. If you type /me texthere you will type a sentence that is purple, says your name, and the text you typed. This command implies an action. For example, I would type ‘/me goes to grab a beer.’ /me here is designating the action of me going and grabbing a beer.

Here is the basic mIRC window:

In red are the 'OPs' with the @ in front of their names. These are the people with the most power in the channel. The can kick and ban virtually everyone else in the channel besides other OPs. In blue are the 'halfops' with the % in front of their names. These people have some power, they can kick ban any of the people beneath them, but non of the ops. In yellow are the 'voiced' people with the + in front of their names. Voice only matters when a channel is moderated. Anyone without 'voice can not speak if the channel is moderated. In purple are the regular people with no special privileges. I have also circled in black and instance of someone using the /me command so you have an idea of what it looks like. If you want to get an idea of the power differential in a channel, type !users or !u. This will list the power of each person.

Idling. This is important for the clan community. If you idle in a clans channel it shows that you support and respect them. Thus, you should definitely idle in a clans channel you want to join. What idling here means is leaving mIRC open even when you aren’t at your computer. Always being connected to mIRC and in that clans channel. When you leave your computer with mIRC open, minimize it and it will go in your tray. Thus, further people using your computer probably won’t notice it and won’t close or read it.

(***Subliminal message*** idle in #20ID ***End Subliminal Message***)

3.) Spelling and Grammar. Generally text is the only way in which a clan can get to know you. Thus, it is good to evoke decent spelling and grammar so you don’t come off as an idiot. However, it is hard to define strictly just how well you should use these two things. If you overuse them, you will come off as someone who thinks you’re better than everyone else (i.e. capitalizing every sentence and using perfect punctuation). Not misspelling words makes it clear to the clan that you have some cognitive abilities. Using acronyms is sometimes convenient and not looked down upon. The ‘words’ ‘u’ for you and ‘ur’ for your usually aren’t that bad. However, rewriting ‘anyone’ as ‘ne1’ or no one as ‘no1’ makes you look like an idiot (there are many possibilities here as you can see).

There is also a fine line between typing like a newbie because it’s funny, and typing like a newbie because your brain actually functions like that. This line is usually drawn where one over exaggerates how a newbie would type. For example, ‘hI Im neW 2 Teh hoLE chEeTinG SeeN lOl!!’ This is clearly grossly exaggerated and funny. However, typing something like “me killer and shake we are [FIRE]  just won are ferst clan battle we won 2 he one 1 we wint v pmw and we rocked” is obviously a product of an underdeveloped mind. (This specific quote can function with the truth of criterion 1 and 8 as well.)

4.) Having a good sense of humor. This should probably be ranked higher. It is utterly important that, as a newbie, one has a good sense of humor and one can make fun of oneself. You will get made fun of. You cannot take being a called a newbie or other ‘insults’ of this type as insults. Just laugh with clans as they laugh at you and you will gain their respect.

5.) Don’t use fun names. A lot of the newbies today get associated with fun names. A frequent generalization of newbies today that just play pub are ‘funname newbies.’ Fun names, especially ones with multiple colors and symbols are just dumb. Don’t use them.

6.) A corollary of 5, use either unique or funny aliases, not extremely common names. Typical names tend to turn clans off. This is because it is usually newbies that use typical names. Names like ‘killer121’ ‘kingsniper’ ‘skater’ ‘sniperkiller’ ‘bloodykiller’ ‘dragon net’ vicious’ etc are all common and not funny. Names like ‘Herron’ ‘jitspoe’ ‘Calrathan’ ‘Goldbond’ etc are at least unique. Of course names like ‘DirtyTaco’ aren’t particularly unique, but they are funny.

7.) Don’t ask a lot of questions. Often times, as soon as newbies connect to mIRC, they just start spamming questions about assorted topics. Don’t do this, it annoys people. Only begin asking people questions after you’ve gained someone’s respect. (refer to criterion 9 for further information).

8.) Don’t make useless posts on the forums. This is a huge turn off. There are so many useless posts on the forums right now it’s hard to even come up with the best example. Posting about your newbie clan beating another newbie clan is not something anyone wants to read, nor do you gain any respect from it. Posting about the fact that your leaving DP (when we all know you’ll be back in 2 weeks under another name) is also not something we care to read. Whenever you feel the need to make a thread concerning a question you have, always check to see if there is a document or tutorial you can read that might answer your question. Newbies that consistently make threads about questions they have that could easily be solved by clicking on the ‘FAQ’ section are a huge turn off to clans. (this also applies to criterion 7).

9.) Speak when spoken too or when you have something funny or substantive to add to a discussion. This criterion is fairly self-explanatory and doesn’t need to be argued for.

10.) Emulate those that have been around the game for a long time, and those you wish to join in clan membership. This is fairly obvious. Clans are obviously going to like people that are like them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:21:20 PM by Dirty_Taco »

SkateR

• Autococker
Re: How newbies can integrate into the clan community
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »
Wow way to completely trash my sexy name. But uh, yeah. Agreed to the HUn DrETh PErzEnT lOlO!lol!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:20:12 PM »
I think I might win for useless posts, but I'm not trying to join a clan. Heck, I barely even play the game anymore.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 05:51:56 PM »
I disagree with you about "u" and "ur."  I find those just as annoying as "ne1" and other newbie abbreviations.  Punctuation and capitalization aren't too necessary on IRC, since thoughts are usually broken into lines, but they're still important in the forums and some other forms of communication.

I wonder if anybody will actually read this thread before making their grand entrance into the community.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 04:08:03 PM by jitspoe »

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 06:52:43 PM »
thats good, but most of the post is an faq on running mirc. I think more should also be said about the way new players should behave, for example in pub servers etc.

I think #7 and 8 should be modified. In my opinion new players should be encouraged to ask lots of meaningful questions about how this community works, and those seem to suggest asking questions is bad. How about letting people realise tehy can search teh forums for answers too.

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 06:56:20 PM »
Nice Guide. Nuff said

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 04:10:59 AM »
Well, i suppose the name always was going to be shameful  :'(

Noob

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 04:31:51 AM »
awww I like my funname. lol

But I guess that's cause I "am" a Noob

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 09:47:09 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:50:17 AM by Dirty_Taco »

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 10:22:38 AM »
10: Make sure, if you write guide, you write it using a language the typical newbie will understand. The typical newbie is probably not college educated and will have trouble understanding words like explicate, evoke, cognitive, criterion, and maybe even the correct use of conjunctions.

Not complaining or anything, but I think bringing the guide down a bit more to the newbie level will make more readable for them.

Biggest thing RTFD before you spam 10000 questions that are answered in the documentation and forums.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 12:29:59 PM »
Also, you should genericize your examples and not use this as an opportunity to attack specific players.

Apparently "genericize" isn't a word, so, make your examples more generic.  For example, "Killer" would be a generic name, whereas "killer121" is a specific player.

oddjob

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 11:08:10 PM »
11. Don't double clan. It is looked down upon, and no body will take you seriously. Also don't create a '1-day' clan

'1-day' clan is when you create a clan, and then lose your first match, you kill the clan and join another.

Brewsky

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »
To add to oddjob's statement, dont get discouraged either.  If you absolutely think you can start a clan that you will dedicate time to, dont give up. Take your losses and if you have a horrible loss to win ratio after a month, keep going. Its beyond old watching people hop from team to team, and killing clans like oddjob said. Choose your teammates wisely and above all represent yourself in a consistant and fair manner (whether you are in a clan or not.) Crossbones had a losing record for its first few months of activity.... then they benched me. 

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 08:17:44 PM »
all good advice :)

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 07:03:39 PM »

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 08:19:35 AM »
I like the story about little Billy, since it's the same on this forum!! ("Search" button for example)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 08:39:12 AM »

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 01:17:46 PM »
its funny cos its so very true.

[b]east

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 05:35:47 AM »
i think point #5  isnt true.

remember there was many good players and clans with funnames: T´n´l or ip

a funname doesnt say that u r a newb but its right that the most of the newbs use them

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 06:04:44 AM »
i think point #5  isnt true.

remember there was many good players and clans with funnames: T´n´l or ip

a funname doesnt say that u r a newb but its right that the most of the newbs use them
Well, if your name only consists of a few colored letters, mainly no symbols and stuff (like [RUST]), it's ok.
But when you have something like these names below, you'll risk an eye desease ::)

http://bitmate.bi.funpic.de/paintball/funname_newbies_1.jpg
http://bitmate.bi.funpic.de/paintball/funname_newbies_2.jpg
http://bitmate.bi.funpic.de/paintball/funname_newbies_3.jpg