Author Topic: How newbies can integrate into the clan community  (Read 51021 times)

hellHOUNDz

• Stingray
Re: How newbies can integrate into the clan community
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 09:04:43 AM »
What IRC are you using in this little tutorial?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 09:06:35 AM »
Why exactly don't you just look at the pictures?

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 09:07:36 AM »
lol, even read the guide hh?

BuLLzEyE

• VM-68
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2007, 09:58:02 AM »
It says, "-ChanServ- You must first authenticate with NickServ". What does this mean, and how can I fix it??

EDIT: Oh yeah, am I able to use a mic in IRC, and have the people I'm talking to hear me in the game??
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:02:42 PM by BuLLzEyE »

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2007, 11:25:11 AM »
You need to register with the server before you can create a channel. Type the following to register a nickname:

/msg NickServ@services.globalgamerscenter.net REGISTER yourName yourPassword yourEmailAddress

BuLLzEyE

• VM-68
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2007, 03:45:02 PM »
Okay I got it now. Thanks lekky :)

Xirul

• PGP
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2007, 02:25:05 PM »
(being a newb)  I think it's more important just to have fun with the game, and not worry about being respected and all that crap =/

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:02:42 AM by Dirty_Taco »

BuLLzEyE

• VM-68
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2007, 10:40:04 AM »
Can some one tell me how to send a message in irc saying I want a match, and it gives all of the info like whether or not we have a server, or whether its a 2v2/3v3 etc.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
Can some one tell me how to send a message in irc saying I want a match, and it gives all of the info like whether or not we have a server, or whether its a 2v2/3v3 etc.
the best way for you to ask questions about irc is in irc. but if you followed M7feettall's guide than all you have to do i believe is type this in your window. !scrim 3 yes
that would be available for a scrim, 3vs3 and yes you have server.

Threehundredpersians

• PGP
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2007, 12:35:53 PM »
I agree with most of what you said, except for this:

3.)

Spelling and Grammar. Generally text is the only way in which a clan can get to know you. Thus, it is good to evoke decent spelling and grammar so you don’t come off as an idiot. However, it is hard to define strictly just how well you should use these two things. If you overuse them, you will come off as someone who thinks you’re better than everyone else (i.e. capitalizing every sentence and using perfect punctuation). Not misspelling words makes it clear to the clan that you have some cognitive abilities. Using acronyms is sometimes convenient and not looked down upon. The ‘words’ ‘u’ for you and ‘ur’ for your usually aren’t that bad. However, rewriting ‘anyone’ as ‘ne1’ or no one as ‘no1’ makes you look like an idiot (there are many possibilities here as you can see).

There is also a fine line between typing like a newbie because it’s funny, and typing like a newbie because your brain actually functions like that. This line is usually drawn where one over exaggerates how a newbie would type. For example, ‘hI Im neW 2 Teh hoLE chEeTinG SeeN lOl!!’ This is clearly grossly exaggerated and funny. However, typing something like “me killer and shake we are [FIRE]  just won are ferst clan battle we won 2 he one 1 we wint v pmw and we rocked” is obviously a product of an underdeveloped mind. (This specific quote can function with the truth of criterion 1 and 8 as well.)

If I'm getting shot at from 10 different locations, I'm not going to bother typing "anyone" out. Otherwise, yes, I will. Also, watching my punctuation and grammar doesn't make me an elitist snob (which was what you were hinting at in your statement), it merely means I care about what I'm saying.

You have very good points, just a pretty bad way of stating them (can't you find more constructive words than "idiot" and "moron"?).

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2007, 04:40:47 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:03:27 AM by P!nk »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2007, 07:48:09 PM »
I agree with most of what you said, except for this:

If I'm getting shot at from 10 different locations, I'm not going to bother typing "anyone" out. Otherwise, yes, I will. Also, watching my punctuation and grammar doesn't make me an elitist snob (which was what you were hinting at in your statement), it merely means I care about what I'm saying.

You have very good points, just a pretty bad way of stating them (can't you find more constructive words than "idiot" and "moron"?).
I think he was referring to things like IRC, not in-game.  If you're getting shot at, you probably shouldn't be typing anyway.  Wait until the round is over or you're eliminated.  I do, however, agree with you on his "bad way of stating" things, which is why I didn't really want this topic stickied.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2007, 01:53:39 PM »

Flip's answer is correct,  assuming you have support set up for DP in the channel.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »
I was just thinking... look what CC did for Senix. I never knew the kid existed until we saw the nooby pubbing around and using the CC login on the pubs. Now he's always on and matching. ADOPT A NEWBIE PROGRAM. And for the clans who can’t stand having bad players, and hate B teams, just do what CC did. Let the kid use the tag. Pubstar it up, get on irc and "match" a couple times, then kick him out and have him get all his newbie friends to start a clan. It works I tell ya!

And in the state of this game’s lack of players (which is starting to grow again) this could help.

Delinquent

• PGP
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2012, 04:02:53 AM »
I know I'm late. But does my name in-game have to be the same as the forum?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2012, 04:18:49 AM »
I know I'm late. But does my name in-game have to be the same as the forum?
You can have multiple in-game names on one account, so no, it can be different.  Just helps if its the same.

rashpal

• PGP
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2014, 08:41:25 PM »
DONT BE A NEWB THAT HOW!

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
DONT BE A NEWB THAT HOW!
Nuff said. /thread. Solo'd

LaZeRs