Author Topic: UPLOAD DEMOS HERE!  (Read 55378 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: UPLOAD DEMOS HERE!
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »
"Results" works :)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »
Vic: bug report! the filtering thing doesn't keep my settings when i browse to the next page... i.e. the next/prev page links don't include the GET info necessary to keep the filters that were set.

That would explain why I kept thinking that the pagination code was a tad too easy to write... :P

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
should add a tab or a filter to have it find a specific uploaded demo numbers. i uploaded a demo that wasn't made public, but then when i went back to find it i couldn't, at least i didn't know how to find the demo again. all in all great idea thanks.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »
should add a tab or a filter to have it find a specific uploaded demo numbers. i uploaded a demo that wasn't made public, but then when i went back to find it i couldn't, at least i didn't know how to find the demo again. all in all great idea thanks.
Well the idea is that for a private demo you save the link it gives you... they're not very "private" at the moment anyway, I will probably work on that later.

19/2/11 Update:
  • Moved the site to demos.banterous.co.uk - all links should continue to work as usual.
  • Shows some basic feedback when you upload a demo
  • Doesn't load the chat log until you click the tab - this stops the page randomly stopping half way down when loading.

Coming soon:
  • Compressed downloads - either transparently compressed with gzip or maybe as a .zip or .rar file
  • (Possibly) compressed uploads - upload a .zip of demos and they will all be added
  • More detailed upload progress

Other ideas:
  • Might kill off vanilla Quake 2 support because nobody seems to be using it
  • A whole "banterous" network of subsites which might help to fill the gap that the DP Resource site used to. Maybe another map database, or map reviews blog or something, and a downloads area.

Suggestions/feedback welcome :)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 09:33:06 AM »

• A whole "banterous" network of subsites which might help to fill the gap that the DP Resource site used to. Maybe another map database, or map reviews blog or something, and a downloads area.
+16843516813

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
A whole "banterous" network of subsites which might help to fill the gap that the DP Resource site used to. Maybe another map database, or map reviews blog or something, and a downloads area.
Sounds good. I'd like to contribute in some way, altho right now I don't have much time to do so.
I haven't forgotten that I'd been wanting to make a DP wiki. I chatted with jits on IRC recently about what wiki CMS to use; I'd narrowed it down to DokuWiki, MediaWiki, or PmWiki, all of which have nice features. He had been leaning toward MediaWiki, but he wants to integrate it into this site, which would mean trying to theme MediaWiki to match this site, and that would likely make for an extreme amount of work since MediaWiki isn't really built for lots of theme-wise customization. He said he'd tried DokuWiki before but experienced painfully slow performance which made him shy away from it. I've never messed with it so I can't prove or disprove such performance claims. In light of all that, he began to look at PmWiki favorably (having never messed with it) -- and that was the extent of the conversation.
So, any wiki development should probably be done for inclusion on this official site -- but anything else would be great. I would definitely love to see a new site similar to ye olde DP Resource by sk89q (who, sadly, has since moved on).

EDIT: Vic, I just registered bantero.us and pointed it at your name servers, so just add it as a parked domain in your cPanel and it should start working. :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:23:11 AM by webhead »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
03/04/11 Update:
  • Updated the links the site generates to use the new, shorter "http://bantero.us/demo/<id>" form, thanks to webhead :D
  • You can now download demos in zip files, this saves some time for those on slower connections :)

More general news coming soon :)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
I see what you did there ;)

A few ideas:
  • If you're going to offer .zip, you should probably offer .tar.gz (or just .gz I guess, since it's a single file) for our linux friends.
  • Also, I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to give demos custom tags, but then I realized that would probably be abused more often than not -- so my idea is that you could add a category system (where you control what categories there are) and then when people upload a demo they can select a category to tag it with. This would make it easier, for example, to see only the demos associated with a certain league.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »
I see what you did there ;)

A few ideas:
If you're going to offer .zip, you should probably offer .tar.gz (or just .gz I guess, since it's a single file) for our linux friends.

Done, you can pick between .gz and .bz2 as well. Wanted to do RAR, but the PHP RAR library only supports reading.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »
yeah, .rar is non-free proprietary crap. if you want a high-compression format like that, go with .7z if possible.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 12:28:12 PM »
Anyone using paintball on Linux? ^.^

If you play paintball, you have good connection (at least enough to download 300Kb file o_O if u downloaded installer), so i don't really see need for compresion... (.7z is best)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »
If you play paintball, you have good connection (at least enough to download 300Kb file o_O if u downloaded installer), so i don't really see need for compresion... (.7z is best)
True, but for a lot of demos it halves download time anyway, even if its a small difference, 5sec download is better than 10sec :) also saves bandwidth for those with bandwidth caps.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »
14/04/11 Update:
  • Made the theme look a bit snappier
  • Tried to redirect everything to use the bantero.us domain and bantero.us/demo/<id>
  • JSON API, documentation available at http://bantero.us/demos/api.txt (this has actually been done for a couple of weeks)

Coming soon:
  • A lot of internal changes to allow for a map database and other subsites (news, downloads)
  • Started working on a toolbar for the bottom of the screen which can lookup players and clans by name/GLS id and search demos/maps/etc
  • Probably gonna give up halfway through because nobody cares
  • Hopefully not

f3l1x

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »
Nice facelift ;-) Font-family is now also good .. good job

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 01:18:48 AM »
Done, you can pick between .gz and .bz2 as well.
Not sure how necessary .bz2 is. I'm sure you're not hurting for disk space, but if you ever want to slim down your usage, .bz2 could go.
That is, unless your script compresses the .dm2 on the fly and immediately serves it up.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 06:03:10 AM »
Not sure how necessary .bz2 is. I'm sure you're not hurting for disk space, but if you ever want to slim down your usage, .bz2 could go.
That is, unless your script compresses the .dm2 on the fly and immediately serves it up.
On the fly ;) It does store the resulting file in a cache folder cause I have unlimited storage, but I can easily delete that if necessary :)

f3l1x

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Hey, guys, test it ;-) http://stats.bantero.us/ .. we need data. hope, you'll not cheat ;-) to the future i recommend keep same nick ;-)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
Bump, because:
bantero.us domain has expired.

All demos are still available, just replace "bantero.us" in the URL with "banterous.co.uk". Everything still works.

The domain was bought for me by webhead, who has let it expire, presumably because he no longer plays or works on DP. I'd just like to say thanks for the two years it was running :)

edit: seems Webhead is an absolute don. All links should work as previously. Cheers webhead!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:46:58 PM by ViciouZ »

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »
Here's a demo of me being a pro!

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 10:01:31 PM »
So kind of you, vic.