Author Topic: New Map : Hmpf  (Read 8698 times)

Sklenda

• PGP
New Map : Hmpf
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »
Hello all,
I made a new map called Hmpf,why hmpf? hm ..pff I don't know.
I'm not pro mapper so don't rage too much please,thank you.

started:  8th July 2010
ended :12th July 2010

-mode:CTF
-teams: red,blue
-flags: 2 per team(10 pts.)
-guns:carbine

I think it's FINAL version (stop care some texture disparities... its awful,If map is playable its enough for everyone :).)

anyway some screens:

red base

blue base

mid

and this

Thank you for the feedback.
Bye.

edit: download here lol
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:31:37 AM by Sklenda »

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: New Map : Hmpf
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
Map is to empty.. make the ways smaller.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
From the screenshots this map can't be a final version.

Btw. the download doesn't work :)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »

Sklenda

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
lol my english s.u.c.k.s. :D I just wanna know what you all think about map,like zimt did. (but Try to write your own opinion)
And congratulations to chef-killer he know everything about map by checking screens. (because here are some textures which he can circle by mspaint.exe)
I'm not raging hard just little bit 30y's..

I already had feedback from 10players before I posted this map here.. and They said positives so I posted it here lol.

so stop "???" and some other re- ta -rd questions ,I just wrote that topic bad.:)
Now I'm sure I'll stop mapping lol or
I show you next map next year like always 1map/1y :D
(and I don't even know something about "brushes" or how do you call it.)

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker

Sklenda

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
 :-*

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
Well since I spent 20 minutes jumping around the map, I might as well say something. I felt that it was a little too similar everywhere. The map also felt quite unnatural, since most of the stuff had no purpose or a reason to be. If you want an example:
why were there flowers placed up high next to the walls? Why did someone build a stand for them? How can anyone water them?

The map doesn't have a theme/story/life. Which is why I don't feel like playing it again.

I should propably stop already : ( , but the jumps in the map felt way too planned, which takes the fun out of them in my opinion. I like the more natural maps where some, preferrably most of the jumps have to be thought out by the players themselves (it feels rewarding to figure jumps out).

After having said that, I look forward to your future maps (I really am not trying to discourage you >< ).

Added the map into my post.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »
you are all dumb it is a good map . best i have seen so far i would love to see you make a better one without poeple trolling you. the only reson you dont want to play it again is becuase you like to play poor no skill maps like airtime, shock etc. Definatly will be on SeXy match servers and will be played by this clan.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »
Well, you have a cool idea here and a potential badass map.

Your map has some nice brushwork, cool ideas, effective terrain and details, however the unbalanced bases and EXTREMELY unfair flag placements make your map virtually unplayable.

I am attaching a picture of what I would suggest doing to fix up the map. If you make the layout changes (which shouldn't be too hard) and fix the texture issues I feel your map would get some love ^^

- Cusoman

Sklenda

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 11:42:18 PM »
I really am not trying to discourage you ><
:) I like your post,its ok.
I am attaching a picture of what I would suggest doing to fix up the map.
My 1st idea was same like your on picture ;) ,but BSP was too small for that,so that's why I made other base's etc.
How I said before I'm not pro mapper,maybe someone other can do it ,but oficially that's my map so I'll try to make it ;)

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 03:30:44 AM »
Like it, it's simple

Online on ic3y's Server
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:40:53 AM by ic3 »

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 07:30:57 AM »
i dont mind cuso's idea but i still love the map the way it is <3

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
For Sklenda: Az za cas budes chtit tvorit nejakou mapu, tak dyztak napis, mel sem nejaky napady pro Seldu, ale ten se nato uz asi vysral.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 12:23:22 PM »
The map looks good. But as cusoman said, the different bases and the flag positions are very unfair. You have to change it. Can't believe that same bases aren't possbile. Is BSP too small or are the limits too small? Wich parts of BSP/the limits are too small? Are there any warning, errors, etc?

In my opinion there should be just one base also. I would take one flag as main flag and let the people only capture there.

The count of spawnpoints and the settings of them are nice (8 for each team i think) ;)

Now the worldspawn. Change the key teams to maxteams. And why do you enable the gamemodes ctf and single flag without having gamemode specific entities (p.a. the single flag) for it? At the moment all 4 flags are allowed to spawn in both gamemodes. Change the possible gamemodes to 4 (only ctf) or do gamemode specific entities.

For the lighting you should use the sun light keys. Try to use the default riverscape1 settings and optimize them for your map. The following keys/values have to be added in the worldspawn too:
_sun_light 250
_sun_angle 200 -30
_sun_ambient 30
_sun_diffuse 60

The textures...your texture choice is a little bit unlucky. Most of your textures need a lot of work for alignment. If you don't want to align all of them, choose other ones. If you want to use this textures, align them more careful please. Align ALL wood textures and ALL stonewall textures. Just the boxes are nice. Couldn't find one misaligned box.

And a few screenshots. Ignore the grafic issues, it's not a problem with the map :P

Blue: You usee very often brushes where just some faces are transparent. I would avoid that. It looks ugly and in this place you have a little hole too. Some ugly looking screenshots will follow.
Red: The end of this brush should touch the sand, not the transparent brush.

This brush is almost floating. Maybe you could find a solution for it, that it's more realistic. I won't say anything to the wood textures, ALL of them are misaligned. Aligned (wood) textures looks way better.

Red: The second texture without any alignment. Rotate the stonewall texture in those places by 90 degrees. There are lots of those places all over the map.
Blue: Just a little thing. I would like to see this brush a little bit lower. You can use a clip brush for climbing.
Green: Can you make this brush a little bit thicker? It's looking weird at the moment.
Without color: This is the only entrance to the room behind the wall, isn't it? I would add one more way to get in/out.

Green: Same as the screenshot before. Make it thicker, it's looking weird .
Blue: This is nearly the red thing in the screenshot before. Align the stonewall texture in ALL of those places.
Red: I don't like the benches :) Just my opinion, maybe I am alone with it.

Oh yes...here is an other place where a brush with some "normal" and some transparent faces looks ugly. Please decide if you want to have it "normal" or transparent.

Very dark here. Maybe the sun lighting will solve this. If not add some other light sources.
And I would like to see, that you can leave this place through the red circles. At the moment it's like prison.

Also an ugly looking place because of your half transparent brushes...Do you see the edges because of it? Horrible.

This two brushes are floating. Looks not realistic enough.

Hm...pff...I hate it, but if you want... :P

Ready. Please don't scare :D I could lie and say that the map is perfect, but this post should be more helpful for you.

You see that you have to do a lot more work. Some things can be done very fast, other things needs more time. It's normal that a good map needs more time and work than a map made in one day.

I'm not pro mapper so don't rage too much please,thank you.
This isn't a problem. But I won't consider it while posting feedback, because the map is more important than the mapping skills of the mapper (hm...mapping skills are also important, you can't do good maps without them :P). You will learn more about mapping with each map you make.

Map is to empty.. make the ways smaller.
I don't think so. There are many maps with more open and more empty areas. The most people don't like maps with too many stuff in it, because too many stuff will block you all the time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:59:43 PM by Chef-Killer »

kaese

• Stingray
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 05:44:24 AM »
Wow, love at first sight. =D

great Map:

- it good looking
- mapped very clean
- nice textures
- flags well positioned (dont no the right word =P)

Just a few problems:

- it is in some places a bit empty
- There is a Room (call it camp-room) is to dark
  put some lights in
- one sight-way is a bit to long i think =O

.... Your name (youve creat in the map) looks very nice =D gj 

=P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
I don't know if you plan on doing anything more with this map, but I'll give you a demo with feedback and put it up on the beta server anyway.  It has potential - some parts of it look pretty cool, but it still needs some work.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 11:56:06 PM »
Well, it came up on the beta server and I had a chance to play test it with some experienced players...

It feels very broken to me.  I don't dislike asymetrical bases, but the balance seems completely broken in this map.  For someone unfamiliar with the map, it is extremely difficult to locate the 2nd red flag.  I literally could not find it for the whole match.  The 2nd blue flag, however, is visible from the first and has a pretty straightforward jump and ladder to it.  The red one, if you can't do trick jumps, requires you to go to some complete other section of the map to get to the ladder that takes you to a tunnel to the flag.  Also, there are secret flag cap locations which are completely unbalanced and I think ruin the game play.  There's just no way you can effectively block red from capping.  The two cap points are in completely different sections of the map.  The blue secret cap, on the other hand, is practically right above the regular cap, so somebody could easily defend both.  I think the secret caps should be removed.

The whole map in general is not very straightforward.  It feels gigantic, yet there are shortcuts that let you get from one base to the other in just a couple of seconds, but there's no clear indication of where to go.  You just walk out of your base and suddenly there's an enemy right there, but then you run around exploring this gigantic map trying to find the flags...

The spawn points are also really bad.  Sometimes you spawn in a room that's completely black and have to fumble your way out.  Other times there's a room with no apparent exit, but one section - with exactly the same texture as everywhere else - is a ladder.

I like some of the visuals of the map and wouldn't mind seeing it fixed up, but as it is now, it's not acceptable for competitive or pub play.